Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
trulsp

Beacon light not "flashing" Correctly

Recommended Posts

Beacon lights is not flashing realistic as they do in real life. Will it be fixed?

 

Regards, Truls Petter

Edited by trulsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What do you mean? They appear realistic to me. They are traditional “strobe light” style beacons on the 747 that both flash quickly in unison. Unlike the 787, the 747 (including the -8) does not have the LED beacons with the longer flash. On the -8 the strobes are LED, but not beacons.  

Jeff Williams

Edited by Jetlinker

Jeffery Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

 

I am not talking about the strobe lights, i know they are flashing correctly as they do realistic, but the Beacon lights are much slower and should flashes much more quicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trulsp said:

Hello!

 

I am not talking about the strobe lights, i know they are flashing correctly as they do realistic, but the Beacon lights are much slower and should flashes much more quicker.

If I’m understanding you correctly you are referring to the interval between flashes being too long I think. I’ve never paid it that much attention I guess. I have noticed that every now and again the beacons will “miss a beat” so to speak, but then again the real airplane may do the same thing sometimes. Is that what you mean? 

 


Jeffery Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This effects of missing a "beat" is due to FPS. If you ave FPS variations then there is a chance a "beat" is lost.


Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beacon works good, but I think that the strobe light is not correct because the light-on time is a little bit to long.  

I know it is LED, but it's a way to long. 

 

Regards

Tobi 

Edited by worker@CGN

Greetings from Cologne,

Tobias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, worker@CGN said:

I know it is LED, but it's a way to long. 

This will require a technical reference, such as an equipment specification, to back up your claim.  I wouldn't want PMDG to modify their design based on user opinions of what is too long, too short or just about right.

The miss a beat thing can be observed by varying the locked simulator frame rate.  I used to lock my frames at 20 fps but found that the strobe will miss a beat much less if I used a frame rate lock of 24 fps.  That had little impact of the performance issues for limiting the frame rate in the first place so that is where I've left it.


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong with the basic flash rate of the red beacon, on the 747-400, but I do note that there are pauses where it does not flash for three or four seconds, then commences flashing again for several seconds, then pause etc...

This seems to be directly tied to the in-sim frame rate setting. I normally run P3D 4 locked at 30 FPS, and when I have that setting enabled, I do see random pauses where the beacon stops flashing. If I change the in-sim frame rate setting to “unlimited”, there are no pauses, and the beacon flashes continuously.

If the flash rate in being affected by the simulator’s internal graphics settings, there may not be much PMDG can do to correct the problem.


Jim Barrett

Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic, Avionics, Electrical & Air Data Systems Specialist. Qualified on: Falcon 900, CRJ-200, Dornier 328-100, Hawker 850XP and 1000, Lear 35, 45, 55 and 60, Gulfstream IV and 550, Embraer 135, Beech Premiere and 400A, MD-80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A modest question. I found several fx_PMDG_ files in the FSX simulator Effects directory,
including fx_PMDG_747_vclight.fx and fx_PMDG_ beacon.fx.
However, there is no fx_PMDG_ file in the P3Dv4.4 simulator Effects directory, .
In C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 747-8F\aircraft.cfg,
the following can be found under the section
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
light.0 = 8, 91.0000, 0.0, 16.000, fx_PMDG_747_vclight
light.1 = 9, 91.1874, 0.0, 16.522, fx_PMDG_747_vclight

Do I have a faulty installation?

Manfred Maier


Regards

Manfred Maier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mmaier said:

A modest question. I found several fx_PMDG_ files in the FSX simulator Effects directory,
including fx_PMDG_747_vclight.fx and fx_PMDG_ beacon.fx.
However, there is no fx_PMDG_ file in the P3Dv4.4 simulator Effects directory, .
In C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 747-8F\aircraft.cfg,
the following can be found under the section
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
light.0 = 8, 91.0000, 0.0, 16.000, fx_PMDG_747_vclight
light.1 = 9, 91.1874, 0.0, 16.522, fx_PMDG_747_vclight

Do I have a faulty installation?

Manfred Maier

No.

P3D v4 works completely different from FSX. It’s another simulator, even though the folder layout might look familiar. The lights are no effects anymore, that‘s the sense of all that dynamic lighting stuff. If you see the strobes, nav lights etc you‘re good.

Edited by Ephedrin

,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mmaier said:

A modest question. I found several fx_PMDG_ files in the FSX simulator Effects directory,
including fx_PMDG_747_vclight.fx and fx_PMDG_ beacon.fx.
However, there is no fx_PMDG_ file in the P3Dv4.4 simulator Effects directory, .
In C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 747-8F\aircraft.cfg,
the following can be found under the section
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo, 10=cabin
light.0 = 8, 91.0000, 0.0, 16.000, fx_PMDG_747_vclight
light.1 = 9, 91.1874, 0.0, 16.522, fx_PMDG_747_vclight

Do I have a faulty installation?

Manfred Maier

Not being in the aircraft.cfg it does not mean it is not used. We do a lot of custom coding outside the sim.


Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much, I see all my internal and external lights.

Manfred Maier


Regards

Manfred Maier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall posting the same a while back. If the thread still exists, search for my post using my username. There are plenty of videos which show the timing and sequence. The timing, in my opinion, based on visual reference to real-life aircraft both on video and seen at LAX, is far too long for both wingtip LEDs and red beacon. See the examples below. I admit the 8i may be difficult to model as the sequence is very different than the other Boeing aircraft including the 737 NG with LEDs which would be the closest related flash pattern.

Links:

  1. https://youtu.be/C03fuR0XiJ4
  2. https://youtu.be/zvctf3WkqU4
  3. https://youtu.be/9IRz9HPB6fE
  4. https://youtu.be/aeeJ2DSVehg

I know there was mention of "technical" references. The devs knew to program the lights as such and that the wingtip is a "long-flash" LED. So perhaps they have access to the same technical reference which discusses light timings from the folks at Boeing? If not, I'd say these videos of RW aircraft or a visit to an airport with 8i traffic would show that the timing is indeed longer than it should be.

Aaron

 


Aaron Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, adl320 said:

I recall posting the same a while back. If the thread still exists, search for my post using my username. There are plenty of videos which show the timing and sequence. The timing, in my opinion, based on visual reference to real-life aircraft both on video and seen at LAX, is far too long for both wingtip LEDs and red beacon. See the examples below. I admit the 8i may be difficult to model as the sequence is very different than the other Boeing aircraft including the 737 NG with LEDs which would be the closest related flash pattern.

Links:

  1. https://youtu.be/C03fuR0XiJ4
  2. https://youtu.be/zvctf3WkqU4
  3. https://youtu.be/9IRz9HPB6fE
  4. https://youtu.be/aeeJ2DSVehg

I know there was mention of "technical" references. The devs knew to program the lights as such and that the wingtip is a "long-flash" LED. So perhaps they have access to the same technical reference which discusses light timings from the folks at Boeing? If not, I'd say these videos of RW aircraft or a visit to an airport with 8i traffic would show that the timing is indeed longer than it should be.

Aaron

 

In this case, the issue is with the PMDG 747-400, not the -8, and concerns the red beacons only. Their flash rate (when flashing) is more than adequate. They are strobes, not LEDs. The problem appears to be that they occasionally stop flashing completely for two or three seconds, then start back up.

On my own system, it appears to be directly related to using a locked frame rate of 30, vs. unlimited. With frames locked, I see pauses. When unlocked, they do not pause. I really never noticed before, and really don’t care one way or the other. I checked how the lights worked on my own P3D installation out of curiosity after someone else mentioned it.


Jim Barrett

Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic, Avionics, Electrical & Air Data Systems Specialist. Qualified on: Falcon 900, CRJ-200, Dornier 328-100, Hawker 850XP and 1000, Lear 35, 45, 55 and 60, Gulfstream IV and 550, Embraer 135, Beech Premiere and 400A, MD-80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    14%
    $3,575.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...