Starlifter60

Opinions on P3Dv4 Hardware Upgrade

Good morning all,

I'm seeking opinions from those who know a lot more than I do about P3Dv4 performance and what a good upgrade might look like on my current system to improve FPS and general smoothness. I'm "fairly" content for the money I've spent but I'd like to see a bit less stuttering to be able to open up the throttle on P3d visual settings a bit more.  What do you think would be the best thing to upgrade without buying a new rig?

-i7 7700 3.6GHz, no overclocking
-16G RAM
-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM
-Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Current build

-P3Dv4.4
-ORBX Global Base, Vector, LC North America
-F1 GTN 750
-F1 B200
-Carenado, C90 GTX, Phenom 300, Citation CJ2 and Citation II
-Ultimate Traffic Live
-Active Sky P3Dv4, Build 6909

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Brian

14 minutes ago, Starlifter60 said:

Good morning all,

I'm seeking opinions from those who know a lot more than I do about P3Dv4 performance and what a good upgrade might look like on my current system to improve FPS and general smoothness. I'm "fairly" content for the money I've spent but I'd like to see a bit less stuttering to be able to open up the throttle on P3d visual settings a bit more.  What do you think would be the best thing to upgrade without buying a new rig?

-i7 7700 3.6GHz, no overclocking
-16G RAM
-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM
-Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Current build

-P3Dv4.4
-ORBX Global Base, Vector, LC North America
-F1 GTN 750
-F1 B200
-Carenado, C90 GTX, Phenom 300, Citation CJ2 and Citation II
-Ultimate Traffic Live
-Active Sky P3Dv4, Build 6909

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Brian

Have u thought about over clocking your 7700? Is it the K model?  What is your upgrade budget?

17 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Have u thought about over clocking your 7700? Is it the K model?  What is your upgrade budget?

The spec program I use says it's a Kaby Lake,is that it? I've always been a little shy about over clocking but have never tried it. Budget wise, I'd be willing to buy a new card but probably no more than $500

I would opt for 8700K if money is tight and you don't plan to OC.  But be aware, you can achieve 50% performance increase with a good "stable" OC setup ... there is lots of "bang for buck" value there.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes but it should either be a 7700 or 7700K.  The K model is unlocked for overclocking.  I would overclock first and see if you are satisfied.  But also remember your 1070 with only 4gb will be very limiting when it comes to visual options.  With a budget of $500  I would overclock the 7700 if it is the unlocked model and upgrade the GPU to something with at least 8gb VRAM.

Edited by mpw8679

8700K, 16/32gb fast ram, overclock it, see if you can stretch to a 1080ti...

1 hour ago, Starlifter60 said:

Thank you guys for the great advice. Guess it's time to read up on over clocking. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Brian

What motherboard do you have?

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

8700K, 16/32gb fast ram, overclock it, see if you can stretch to a 1080ti...

I believe he said his budget was $500.  I also don’t see any point in buying a 1080ti over the 2080 at this point in time.

Definitely go for the OC.  A high OC is the holy grail for a flight sim.  I'm sitting on my 7700k for a while yet since it has a multiplier of 51 or 5.1 GHZ.  You want 5.1 or better on ANY processor but the Kaby Lake processors (what you have) is a good starting point.

Cheers
bs

34 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I believe he said his budget was $500.  I also don’t see any point in buying a 1080ti over the 2080 at this point in time.

Consider second hand parts? The OP may not be able to stretch his budget but I offered that as a consideration as I agreed with an earlier poster that the GPU originally posited probably would be less than satisfactory... :)

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Consider second hand parts? The OP may not be able to stretch his budget but I offered that as a consideration as I agreed with an earlier poster that the GPU originally posited probably would be less than satisfactory... 🙂

True there are a lot of used 1080ti’s out there.  Used PC parts is a gamble though.  I sold a fellow avsim member my 1080ti.  It was a very low use card, never overclocked, and never had one issue with it.  The gentleman received the card and within a week had issues with it.  Had to RMA to Gigabyte.  Thank god it was still under warranty.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

-Generic 1070 w/4G RAM

This is hardly possible. Either you have some mis-information there and in reality, you have 8GB VRAM on this 1070 or somebody sold you a fake graphics card...

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

This is hardly possible. Either you have some mis-information there and in reality, you have 8GB VRAM on this 1070 or somebody sold you a fake graphics card...

According to my Speccy app, it has 4095 MB of memory. Of course I could be reading that wrong. The card came with the system I bought

Speccy is almost certainly misreporting the amount of memory if it's a 1070.  Try running GPU-Z.

From the perspective that a well-balanced system gets you the best return on components, you already have a well-balanced--but unfortunately low performance--system.  Adding just a faster CPU, or just a faster GPU is going to make one part of the system outperform the rest, which is likely to yield underwhelming bang for the buck.  That said, if a new high(er) performance system is out of the question, I think GPU would be where I'd start, because that can be transplanted over to an upgraded overclocked motherboard/CPU/RAM configuration later.  Ultimately, though, you need both a fast CPU and graphics card to get the most out of a flight sim.

Nice avatar.  I was an IP in the 53rd MAS at Norton around a million years ago.

Regards

38 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Speccy is almost certainly misreporting the amount of memory if it's a 1070.  Try running GPU-Z.

From the perspective that a well-balanced system gets you the best return on components, you already have a well-balanced--but unfortunately low performance--system.  Adding just a faster CPU, or just a faster GPU is going to make one part of the system outperform the rest, which is likely to yield underwhelming bang for the buck.  That said, if a new high(er) performance system is out of the question, I think GPU would be where I'd start, because that can be transplanted over to an upgraded overclocked motherboard/CPU/RAM configuration later.  Ultimately, though, you need both a fast CPU and graphics card to get the most out of a flight sim.

Nice avatar.  I was an IP in the 53rd MAS at Norton around a million years ago.

Regards

Thanks for the advice. I'm "ok" with the performance I'm getting on P3D but just ok. I know there's no magic bullet other than a large expense (but divorce is way more expensive 🙂 ). 

I built TF-33P7s in Norton's back shop from 86-89. Loved that cranky old beast compared to some of the newer power plants I worked in later years

10 hours ago, AnkH said:

I stand corrected...it is an 8G card. My apologies. Deleting Speccy....

4 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

MSI B250M Bazooka

That makes sense.  I wasn't thinking, when I asked what the motherboard was.  The B250 chipset doesn't support overclocking, and that is logical since the system has the locked 7700.  Duh.

You /could/ upgrade the vidcard now, and take it with you on a new build.  I think if it were me I would save the money until I could re-work the entire build though.  That's how I like to operate, anyway.

We got my 7700K running real nice at 4.9 GHz. Maybe could go higher but I guess I'm a bit conservative... :D

Make sure if you OC that you have good cooling for the CPU and case.

6 minutes ago, Mace said:

That makes sense.  I wasn't thinking, when I asked what the motherboard was.  The B250 chipset doesn't support overclocking, and that is logical since the system has the locked 7700.  Duh.

You /could/ upgrade the vidcard now, and take it with you on a new build.  I think if it were me I would save the money until I could re-work the entire build though.  That's how I like to operate, anyway.

Well, that's a bummer. But thanks

Just now, Starlifter60 said:

Well, that's a bummer. But thanks

Well no think about it positively in this way.  I would use that time to research and spec out a new system, or at least get an idea about the hardware that worked best with the sim.  If you're talking 6 months away, that's great!  Today's top end will be tomorrow's high end.  Today's high end will be tomorrow's midrange.

Something will be right in your budget wheelhouse.

You will end up doing that anyway (specing out a new sys), if you decide to get a vid card now.

1 hour ago, Buffy Foster said:

We got my 7700K running real nice at 4.9 GHz. Maybe could go higher but I guess I'm a bit conservative... 😄

Make sure if you OC that you have good cooling for the CPU and case.

All 7700Ks should go 5.1 ghz out-of-the-box.  Set your core voltage at 1.4vcc.  Don't worry about blowing the thing up - you will be upgrading within the next 5 years.

Cheers
bs

Oh, I used the BIOS OC tool, not fiddled with individual settings that I don't really understand. :D

I'll try when Dad has some time to help me with it, so thanks for the info and Merry Christmas! :)

4 hours ago, Starlifter60 said:

I stand corrected...it is an 8G card. My apologies. Deleting Speccy....

Since that card is 8gb I think your locked 7700 is really going to hold u back even if u did upgrade your GPU.

For a $500 budget look into a z390 mobo and a 9600K.  I upgraded from a 5ghz 7700K to a 4.9ghz 9600K and had a pretty noticeable improvement.  Very small gain in FPS but scenery and texture loading were much improved.