michael nysus

P3D V4 CORRECT SCALE IN OCULUS VR FIX

Recommended Posts

Hi there, My name is Michael Nysus and I have a walk in, scratch built, Captain’s side flight deck. It includes a real life captain’s 737 Yoke. I have always thought that the P3D WORLD SCALE was way too small and after a long search I found the way to fix it. I did not come up with this myself.

I spent a lot of time adjusting the value to match up the real yoke against the pmdg yoke in p3d v4 though.

This is the Key. Go to C:/users/your name/appdata/roaming/lockheed martin/cameras.cfg.

Back up the file. Add the following at the bottom in sequence. ( ie CameraDefinition. 0xx )

 

[CameraDefinition.022]

Title = VR Virtual Cockpit // oculus rift

Guid = {C69C6771-EB1F-4346-ADD7-0F8910277CE3}

Description = Virtual Cockpit view using a VR Headset.

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

vvv

// MomentumEffect = Yes // say yes if you like this feature

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = YES

AllowZoom = TRUE

<Property Name="Zoom" Value="3.0" />

InitialZoom = 6.6 // was 0.7

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = FALSE

ShowLensFlare = FALSE

PitchPanRate = 30

HeadingPanRate = 75

PanAcceleratorTime = 0

Category = VirtualReality

HmdType = VR

CycleHidden = Yes

 

I changed a few things. The line in the bold font is the key.

Your value may be different !! This is what worked for me.

This will completely change the look and feel in p3d oculus.

It will no doubt take some getting used to.

I don’t have a vive but I imagine it will work there as well. 

The ngx now matches up in size with the zibo in x-plane 11 and the 737-200 in Aerofly fs2.

It also increases the zoom out the forward window so all the sims feel more consistent one to the other. 

I hope this helps you. Godbless.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I found that making certain changes in the VR config files makes for better flying as well. I agree on the momentum effect and have changed many of the pop up window size and location positions as well. I’ve posted them here on the forum.

I will give your edit a try. I’m surprised a bit that the value was changed so significantly from 0.7 to 6.6 that’s a very large difference.

Thanks for sharing

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Joepoway,

I hoped it worked for you. I too was surprised at the end figure.

I'm hoping you or anyone can help me with a few things.

1. I have never gotten the zoom to work in the oculus. Any suggestions ?

2. Even after I spent an hour setting the captain's viewpoint in the ngx, I still almost always have to adjust it if I reset or change camera views.

3. Is there a free ipad efb that I can import through oculus dash or another program that will show changes made on the ipad in the oculus ? Would love to know that.

4. How do I get the flyby view in oculus closer ? I tried the zoom level in the flyby of the camera.cfg but that did not work. Please advise.

Ok, I'm asking a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Nysus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys this is very interesting!

 

Do you mean that it changes the cockpit size? In P3d the cockpit of ga aircraft looks too small for me. I tried flyinside which is awesome but it crashed too many times.

 

Cockpit size in xplane11 is not adjustable also. DCS, aeroflyfs2 have adjustable cockpit scale settings.

 

I really like to change these settings, let's see how it works out tomorrow.

 

Thanks

Jozeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, michael nysus said:

Hi Joepoway,

I hoped it worked for you. I too was surprised at the end figure.

I'm hoping you or anyone can help me with a few things.

1. I have never gotten the zoom to work in the oculus. Any suggestions ?

2. Even after I spent an hour setting the captain's viewpoint in the ngx, I still almost always have to adjust it if I reset or change camera views.

3. Is there a free ipad efb that I can import through oculus dash or another program that will show changes made on the ipad in the oculus ? Would love to know that.

4. How do I get the flyby view in oculus closer ? I tried the zoom level in the flyby of the camera.cfg but that did not work. Please advise.

Ok, I'm asking a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Nysus

In general I do not seem to find an issue with what I see in VR with P3D. I also fly VR in AeroFly and DCS and don't find things to be very different. However I don't think I could use your additional camera.cfg file addition because I use ChasePlane and CP comments out the Virtual Cockpit default camera and creates it's own from your preferences. I believe CP would not like or accept the fact that I am creating a different set of conditions for the new VR Virtual Cockpit since it uses the same Origin i.e Virtual Cockpit. Below is how I fly in VR regarding your questions:

#1 

I use ChasePlane and I assign Forward and Backward preferences to buttons for Zooming in and out.. I also assign Move Right, Left, Up and Down to precisely position myself if I do not like the HMD Recalibrate position. Additionally I assign the Tilt Up, Tilt Down, Pan Right and Pan Left to my HAT so I can move my view around inside and outside the aircraft. There is a zoom function but I find it moves too quickly and can distort. Additionally I use the CP Binoculars feature and you can custom setup the amount of zoom you desire, it works well to quickly zoom into the dash or out the window a predetermined amount while you hold the button or key press. I also set up custom views and assign buttons or use VoiceAttack commands to change to the particular view of a panel, gauges, co-pilot seat, outside views or any other view I prefer.

#2

I use the HMD Recalibrate in P3D to set my position and using ChasePlane I just modify with the above commands if I desire to be a little higher or more forward. I then can change views as mentioned above or pan around and just hit the preset view I'm in and it recenters me or I can use the CP View Center function in to bring me back to the original position of the view I am in.

#3

I use Simserver CDU for my iPad and my Aerosoft A320 and PMDG 737 but I don't know of anyway to bring them into the VR space. FlyInside will allow you to bring windows of other apps into your VR space but I no longer use FlyInside and prefer P3Dv4 Native VR running in Single Pass Rendering Mode for the best frame performance on my rig. I also use the Oculus debug tool to set pixel density to 1.70 and disable Oculus ASW these coupled with lower VR settings then my 2D settings provides me with a pretty good experience.

#4

Again I use ChasePlane and set up all my custom views with it.

Bottom Line I am a big fan of ChasePlane and VoiceAttack in helping with the challenges we face with the early stages of VR simming. I also setup custom VR pop up positions so when I pop up my GTN 750, MCDU, Settings menus, P3D ATC or SODE I can have them placed in the 3D space exactly where I prefer them every time without having to move them. So between custom views in CP and pop ups positioned where I prefer, things are a lot more friendly to see and interact with. VoiceAttack just allows virtually anything to be activated or controlled with voice commands which is obviously very useful when you can't see much outside of the headset except to look down your nose and hunt for things 🙂

 

Good Luck

Joe

Edited by joepoway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank You. I will look into Chase Plane. As for VoiceAttack, its worth its weight in Gold. I know you can input windows into vr using the oculus dash. I just need one efb that will mimic changes on the ipad.      Preferably one with a moving map.

I'm just trying not to have to remove the oculus during a flight. Anyone that can help would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, michael nysus said:

Thank You. I will look into Chase Plane. As for VoiceAttack, its worth its weight in Gold. I know you can input windows into vr using the oculus dash. I just need one efb that will mimic changes on the ipad.      Preferably one with a moving map.

I'm just trying not to have to remove the oculus during a flight. Anyone that can help would be appreciated.

A friend of mine has been using the new EFB (electronic flight bag) with one of the PMDG aircraft and it will work as a pop up window and he can look at charts, maps etc...

I experimented with Oculus Dash and brought things into the VR space but it was way too much performance overhead and introduced Judder which I cannot tolerate in VR.

Also see my edit to the previous post regarding CP and your edit to the camera.cfg file

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, michael nysus said:

 

1. I have never gotten the zoom to work in the oculus. Any suggestions ?

2. Even after I spent an hour setting the captain's viewpoint in the ngx, I still almost always have to adjust it if I reset or change camera views.

 

1. enabled the vr zoom function in p3dv4 native vr setting?  

2. changing camera views somehow messes up the default view so i just assign a button on stick/yoke to hmd recalib origin on the push stroke, eyepint reset on the release stroke.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. enabled the vr zoom function in p3dv4 native vr setting?  

2. changing camera views somehow messes up the default view so i just assign a button on stick/yoke to hmd recalib origin on the push stroke, eyepint reset on the release stroke.  

 
Yes I did, but it never zoomed ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 7:18 AM, joepoway said:

I use Simserver CDU for my iPad and my Aerosoft A320 and PMDG 737 but I don't know of anyway to bring them into the VR space. FlyInside will allow you to bring windows of other apps into your VR space but I no longer use FlyInside and prefer P3Dv4 Native VR running in Single Pass Rendering Mode for the best frame performance on my rig.

If Lockheed don't come to the table on bringing in windows into the VR space, we still have the kneeboard as a way forward. I have already tried Lorby's free app called "Lorby Scratchpad" which has simple editing tools including cut and paste for bringing PDF's etc into the kneedboard which we can see in VR space. I tried a web-browser in the kneeboard but P3D disallows it because it thinks it is a security threat and have not found away around it yet. But for static PDF's, text files, images etc they can be made into a VR window with the kneeboard now already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, glider1 said:

If Lockheed don't come to the table on bringing in windows into the VR space, we still have the kneeboard as a way forward. I have already tried Lorby's free app called "Lorby Scratchpad" which has simple editing tools including cut and paste for bringing PDF's etc into the kneedboard which we can see in VR space. I tried a web-browser in the kneeboard but P3D disallows it because it thinks it is a security threat and have not found away around it yet. But for static PDF's, text files, images etc they can be made into a VR window with the kneeboard now already.

Thanks for sharing this I’ll give the Lordy tool a look.

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else tried Michael's settings? Any comments? Haven’t tried them yet.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now