Sign in to follow this  
Novej757

Out of The Ashes: The New Black Phoenix Phenom 100E GTN-750 Mod

57 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Count me in, awesome job! Couple questions: 1. You mentioned ASN now for Roland's wx radar and AS16 coming. What about ASP4? 2. Would I be able to substitute the RXP GTN 750?

Don't let finals get in your way 🤣

Great questions...  Yes the version of Rolands weather radar gauge that works for AS16 will also work with ASP4!

I do not have RXPs GTN so I'm really not sure if it will work honestly.  If it uses the same size VC display as F1's it should.....if not....

• Like 1

Jevon 

19 hours ago, Novej757 said:

I do not have RXPs GTN so I'm really not sure if it will work honestly.  If it uses the same size VC display as F1's it should.....if not....

After I purchased the Reality XP GTN 750, I simply changed the name of the gauge everywhere it was listed in the panel.cfg, of my preferred aircraft.  After launching the a/c simply configure the "new" GTN to your preferred settings.  As a matter of fact my RXP GTN 750 is being used in the CJ2+  vs. the Flight 1 GTN and it works perfectly. :biggrin:

• Like 2

WAT1460.png

31 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

After I purchased the Reality XP GTN 750, I simply changed the name of the gauge everywhere it was listed in the panel.cfg, of my preferred aircraft.  After launching the a/c simply configure the "new" GTN to your preferred settings.  As a matter of fact my RXP GTN 750 is being used in the CJ2+  vs. the Flight 1 GTN and it works perfectly. :biggrin:

@bbuckley there you go.  Thanks Vcarlo I had NO idea.  That's huge news!!!  Wow!!!

• Like 1

Jevon 

Will this mod also become compatible with the Carenado Embraer 300, since the flightdeck is basically the same?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xander975 said:

Will this mod also become compatible with the Carenado Embraer 300, since the flightdeck is basically the same?

And that is the one question I was waiting for someone to ask.......!  Short answer, I'm not sure.  It wouldn't be hard to integrate (I don't think).  Again I think I really want to hear what the community thinks?  If there's enough interest, I can make it happen!

Jevon 

The Phenom 300 is my preferred aircraft out these two. I‘d love to see your mods for the 300, as they look very promising indeed. Looking forward to more news!

• Like 1

Felix

12 hours ago, Novej757 said:

And that is the one question I was waiting for someone to ask.......!  Short answer, I'm not sure.  It wouldn't be hard to integrate (I don't think).  Again I think I really want to hear what the community thinks?  If there's enough interest, I can make it happen!

Thanks for the outstanding presentation! I'm looking forward to when you release this. Sad, though, that one person could do this while a whole company won't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Thanks for the outstanding presentation! I'm looking forward to when you release this. Sad, though, that one person could do this while a whole company won't.

In Fairness to Carenado, this is a fictional representation of a real aircraft 😄 I think we can all agree you can't knock their modeling though!

4 hours ago, Flyfox said:

The Phenom 300 is my preferred aircraft out these two. I‘d love to see your mods for the 300, as they look very promising indeed. Looking forward to more news!

The Phenom 300 wouldn't be that hard to do (I don't think). I wouldn't do a new engine variant but it would get the other features like the Ground Mode, Ice detection and weather radar.  For now I want to concentrate on the 100 as it needed A LOT of help.  With this mod she is completely transformed and I suspect many users may find themselves using her A LOT more if I go ahead and release it.  You can't beat the performance bump she's got now!  I mean we are talking a 400lb increase in static thrust alone.  My own CJ2+ has taken a back seat to this bird because she's just that fun to fly now! 😏

• Upvote 1

Jevon 

With your mods, I may purchase this lovely biz jet! Thanks for all your work in making these aircraft a great joy to have in our virtual hangar and fly..

• Like 1

Part III

So the last feature I really wanted to highlight is one that for those who fly the Phenoms quite extensively, may be a little weird to get used to at first.  The Full Authority Digital Engine Controlled (FADEC) on the Phenoms really make engine operation and monitoring a simple task for the pilot.  The throttle modes on the other hand might be a little different to pilots not accustomed to flying Airbus's before jumping in the Phenoms 😄 In stock form there are 5 modes you can operate the Phenom engines in (6 if you include Idle).

• Max Crz- Cruise power settings
  • Con/clb- Climb power settings
  • TOGA- Takeoff and Go around power settings
  • MAX-  Max N1 power settings
  • (Manual control)- Pilot input throttle control between Idle and Max Crz

For the most part Carenado modeled this okay.

The problem comes when you replace the stock engines with ones that can put out 200lb+ MORE static thrust (EACH). Suddenly you will find the power settings for these modes don't really line up with the power output of the engines.  Furthermore, the FADEC throttle modes on the Hondajet are slightly different

• Idle
  • (Manual Control)- Pilot input throttle control
  • MCT-Maximum Continous Thrust
  • TO-Take off (similar to TOGA)

In this mod I've implemented a little of both

• Idle
  • (Manual Control)
  • TO
  • CRZ
  • MCT

Like the Hondajet this is a manual centered system.  That means for the majority of the power range the Pilot will actually set the power settings.  With this much power and so many different environments the plane can be operated in, it only makes sense to let the pilot select how much power is needed based on what they observe the aircraft doing.........Its only in the upper 15 or so percent of the power range where the computers are more "involved."

PhoenixThrottle1_zpsith5gmeu.jpg

This means up to about 85.5% N1 the pilot controls how much thrust is needed.  After passing 85.5%  The system selects its first mode, TO (takeoff)  This mode ranges between 85.5% and 90.5%N1. As there is more than sufficient thrust for takeoffs on runways longer than 4000ft most pilots will resort to using TO mode more as a Flex Takeoff option especially in colder temps.

PhoenixThrottle2_zpsmhr5tmpy.jpg

For some, CRZ (cruise mode) may seem a little weird.  Takeoffs in the Phoenix are performed in either TO mode or MCT mode.  This means if a takeoff is performed in TO mode.  Thrust must then be increased (not reduced) to engage MCT mode which is also used as a climb mode.    From MCT mode, CRZ mode can then be engaged as expected by decreasing thrust.  It is important to note the Phoenix is more than capable of cruising with LESS than CRZ mode power settings and you may often find yourself pulling power back depending on the conditions to avoid overspeeding.  This only means she'll give you even more range 😎  CRZ mode falls between 90.5% and 95.5% N1

PhoenixThrottle3_zps6h4cvq4f.jpg

MCT mode will be the mode utilized most when setting automatic power (ie anything outside of manual mode; not to be confused with autothrottle).  Ranging from 95.5% to 100%N1  This will be the range most utilized for high performance takeoffs, max weight takeoffs, short field etc etc.  MCT is also the range utilized as climb mode.  For lighter weights the lower end of MCT will provide enough thrust to reach cruise altitude.  However, in most cases above 28000ft pilots will want to just climb at 100%N1 in order to maintain the 210/.55-.60 mach climb schedule.  At heavier weights, higher altitudes or fighting strong headwinds, MCT mode can also be used as Cruise mode (albeit with a much higher fuel burn).

MCT Enhance

MCT Enhance mode is an AUTOMATIC mode purely controlled by the system.  It cannot be engaged in anyway by the pilot.  With that being said, it does need pilot input to disengage it 😄

MCT Enhance is a performance mode only engaged to enhance the aircraft's hot/high performance.  The base Phenom 100 had a lot going for it, however it's hot high performance was one thing that was not.  The additional 400lbs of static thrust equated to approximately 400 lbs of additional carrying capacity. (MTOW is now 10,900lbs)  However, under certain conditions more power may be needed to get that additional weight airborne.  Lets go to Telluride.........................

Pheonix38_zpsitmeer60.jpg

I can't remember what date I used in ASN history mode, but this was a real day's weather in Telluride last summer.............

Pheonix38MCT_zpszk4o6mv6.jpg

Note that "todays" outside air temperature is 21 deg C or approximately 72 deg F....I have not set the barometric pressure in this pic yet.  If I had it would show 9070ft on the altitude reading.  For those not familiar Telluride (KTEX) airport which is located high in the Colorado mountains serves the city of Telluride (Imagine that).  It actually sits on a mesa and is known for its 7111ft runway with a nearly 35 foot slope and the extremely high terrain that surrounds it.  Performance is everything when flying into and out of this place!

Today we are departing and we have a very FULL load.....(10890 of the Phoenix's 10900LB MAX takeoff weight to be exact  😳)

Pheonix37_zpsveevphjz.jpg

Pheonix39_zpse3s4vqjm.jpg

Flaps set at 2, Hold the brakes, Throttles to the Firewall..................CAS lets you know you're getting the full beans for this departure!

Pheonix39MCT_zpsnoxzm9db.jpg

In the time it took you to set throttles to MCT, the system determined the outside temperature and altitude warranted max performance.  Upon the "MCT ENHANCE ON" message being displayed the FADEC automatically configures the Thrust bump function of the engines.  I won't tell you exactly how much additional static thrust Phoenix will give you on top of the 2050lbs each engine is already producing, but what I will tell you is in situations like this you will appreciate every little bit.  Even with MCT Enhance engaged at this altitude in these temps she starts rolling...........really slow....Yet some how the cliff at the end of the runway finds a way to get closer and closer REALLY FAST!!!  It is definitely a pucker factor of infinite proportions.............  💩 <~~~ clench the brown Grinch

Pheonix40_zpsrdxuzscb.jpg

Today the Honda Vtec won't be denied (car guys will get that)...She gets us airborne with about 800ft of usable runway left until the EMAS!  Having completed this takeoff I wouldn't try this in anything hotter than 80 deg F at MTOW here............

Pheonix41_zpsg5o3zqmj.jpg

The thing you have to remember about MCT Enhance is the PILOT MUST DISENGAGE IT meaning after NO MORE THAN TWO MINUTES....the throttles must be pulled back a bit. 

Pheonix42_zpsdnwbggyu.jpg

Once the "MCT ENHANCE ON" message disappears, the engines can be throttled back up to 100%N1.  Usually this can be done without reactivating MCT Enhance.  However, if operating out of hotter locations like Dubai you may see it reengage even after disengaging it after 2 minutes.  If it does reengage, the engines must immediately be throttled back to a setting that deactivates MCT Enhance but still maintains the needed performance.  Its a bit much but how else do you think we can maintain the HF120's 5000 hour TBO (Time Before Overhaul) rating? 😁

Now there is one exception to the two minute rule and this is if MCT Enhance activates when one engine is out during flight.

Before anyone asks the VC pedestal does not have the new throttle modes included (yet)......Can't seem to find ALL the textures needed to change it

Part IV (and the final part) will address the remaining features I've incorporated/improved and I'll let you know what other plans I have for the Phoenix.  I'll also key you in on some of the issues she still has (like the pedestal one I just mentioned).......Yes there are still some nagging ones to me 😭........Honestly most of you probably wouldn't even notice them LOL!  

So what do you guys think???

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jevon 

On 3/7/2019 at 9:24 PM, Novej757 said:

So what do you guys think???

If I enjoy flying this as much as you enjoy explaining it we'll both win. Thanks so much for doing this.

-J

28 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

If I enjoy flying this as much as you enjoy explaining it we'll both win. Thanks so much for doing this.

Yeah this is way to detailed for what this mod really is 😪

Jevon 

17 minutes ago, Novej757 said:

Yeah this is way to detailed for what this mod really is 😪

No, it isn't. You're a storyteller. Tell it like it is.

• Like 2

-J

.....unable to speak while  JAW ON FLOOR 🤐😷🤪😍

WAT1460.png