LesOReilly

Buyer beware: Logitech Flight Products

Just wanted to pass on a little dealing I had with Logitech.

Since they are now the proud owners of Saitek don't go looking for parts.  one of my Throttle Quads has a broken Plastic arm....1.2 year old pulled it and it snapped.  Anyway they will not sell any parts even down to the entire sub assembly of the arm, pot and casing.....The only option they gave is to buy an entire replacement Quadrant.......80 Dollars for a cheap plastic part is nuts.....

Anyway just be aware that going forward unlike in the Saitek days you will not be able to get parts.....they don't do parts..

Happy flying.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

5 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

Since they are now the proud owners of Saitek don't go looking for parts.  one of my Throttle Quads has a broken Plastic arm....1.2 year old pulled it and it snapped.  Anyway they will not sell any parts even down to the entire sub assembly of the arm, pot and casing.....The only option they gave is to buy an entire replacement Quadrant.......80 Dollars for a cheap plastic part is nuts.....

Anyway just be aware that going forward unlike in the Saitek days you will not be able to get parts.....they don't do parts..

Happy flying.

I have been fortunate with my Logitech 3d Pro controller, best controller I ever had, and I had a Logitech mouse that lasted eighteen years.  However my Saitek yoke had challenges not long after purchasing it, and I tried another and had to toss it when it had died.  I was thinking about another when I got my current Logitech, which has a great feel, just like the real sticks I have flown in aircraft equipped with them like my Allegro LSA trainer, the Zenair, and the Luscombe I have flown, as well as the XAir H I flew with Phil Leroy out of his dirt strip in Leroy, AZ. 

I agree that these replacement part schemes are bad though, and I had a small child who used to grab for things and break them, it happens, but at age two I wrote a program for her called MirrorArt which is on the web, to teach her how to use a computer mouse. 

Kids+computers, I feel for you man, I do.  I still remember my daughter's attempts at cave art with crayons on our downstairs wall, or the time I was half asleep and she took scissors to cut my hair (she was taught how to use them, so safe).  I had what could be called a punk rocker haircut at age 42 and my poor wife thought I'd murder my daughter, but I just laughed and laughed as my wife and daughter finished the job and gave me the best free haircut a dad could ever ask for!

John

It didn't used to be the case, but newer superglues actually work well on most plastics. The cat knocked our Echo over and the whole upper case broke off  at the screw holes. Small dabs of glue got it back together. Worth a shot.

I had Saitek pedals etc. at one time.  The pedals kept jumping off track,  the joystick had a weak spring.  Flying a commercial jet like a fighter lol!!!  I got mad, and threw it all in the trash. Took the loss, and i bought CH Products. Not bad!!!. I wish they would come with a new design. Same thing with CH . No replaceable parts. Springs in the pedals are a bit weak. They need to reinforce the spring mounts for the brakes with steel. There is a way to replace the springs after the warranty is up. Shown on the net. Even with the adjustments for your gear in XP11, it would be a good idea to look into it. I have my eye on the Thrustmaster TPR pedals when the price comes down. Happy Flying!!!!

Saitek/Logitech produce a category of products designed to be disposable. Anything of quality is generally orders of magnitude more expensive. You enter into a purchase agreement understanding that basic fact. More a sad testament to our disposable culture and business models pushing quantity and profit, over quality and longevity. Planned obsolescence is by design. 

• Upvote 2

Anybody into 3D printing?  Would that work for parts?

Good point  Frank. I could use replacement knobs  for my throttle quadrant.  Hard to find in the USA. Other parts? Yes. I see there is a company in Italy that makes lever parts to authenticate Boeing, Airbus. It seems that the company is always out of stock. I don't have a printer. Perfect machine for parts.

Logitech are bargain basement products in terms of flight controls, a bit like paying $30 for a flight stick and expecting parts to repair them. 

5 hours ago, rjfry said:

Logitech are bargain basement products in terms of flight controls, a bit like paying $30 for a flight stick and expecting parts to repair them. 

It is not a 30 dollar Joystick....It is an 80 Dollar component that has plenty of moving parts.  The manufacture the parts to make the sub assemblies that then make the final assemblies.  Being able to offer at least at the sub assembly level should not be an issue that they can not sort out.

The idea of planned obsolescence is not always valid.  They have not come out with a replacement model that they want us to move onto so that they can kill off support for the legacy products.  If you are still making new versions of the exact same product then yes you should be offering to sell parts....Parts usually have a 5x or 6x markup from cost....So I could essentially be paying 15-20 dollars for this part.

The point to the post is not about --- Logitech/Saitek Suck and don't buy them....It is literally a post that you will not be able to buy parts and to keep that in consideration.  Not holding them accountable for lacking a certain amount of service should be done and that is why I posted it.

. . . or the time I was half asleep and she took scissors to cut my hair (she was taught how to use them, so safe).  I had what could be called a punk rocker haircut at age 42 and my poor wife thought I'd murder my daughter, but I just laughed and laughed as my wife and daughter finished the job and gave me the best free haircut a dad could ever ask for!

John

Love it! JJ

14 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

Happy flying.

Why not purchase realistic throttle arm replacements?  Just takes a bit of the old arm for the realistic arm to slip over.

Posted (edited)

As someone who makes quadrants, I need to point out that the hobby is too small to make any hardware, specific to the hobby , profitable. What you find is a good product marketed for a few years, and then one  day that product is no longer manufactured. The price point vs value is tough to get right.These days the biggest expense is "shipping " costs. Screws and materials, as well as making the various components, have become very expensive, especially when  you're dealing with small volumes. Often my dilemma is:" I need screw x and y". Where do I get them? I quickly find out that for two screws, I need to order large quantities, let's say a pack of 100 pcs. Sometimes one vendor has screws x, and another screws y. A pack of screws may cost $ 4.00, but shipping will cost me another 8 dollars. So, for two screws I may be looking at  24 dollars.

Shipping times, too, have become a big constraint. As more items come from Asia, shipping times are extended by months.

With all of these constraints, manufacturing high quality hardware at a good price is really difficult.

Someone suggested 3d printing. What they may not know is that 3d printing is slow, so slow that it's only good for prototyping.

Injection molding is still the way to go for production.

Edited by flyforever

I have a Logitech flight yoke and throttle and switch panel which I purchased not long ago for £123 the lot brand new on amazon, a top class flight stick would cost more.  

This is why I only buy all metal/handmade controllers now. I have quite a bit of goflight stuff,FSTHROTTLES and Thrustmaster

2 hours ago, Jim Harnes said:

Why not purchase realistic throttle arm replacements?  Just takes a bit of the old arm for the realistic arm to slip over.

I actually have the 737 arms that have the AT DISC, TOGA and Reversers.  The arm broke right at the surface (Kiddo pulled to the side and it snapped at that leverage point.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

I have a Logitech flight yoke and throttle and switch panel which I purchased not long ago for £123 the lot brand new on amazon, a top class flight stick would cost more.  

no disagreement on that point....hence pointing out to people that if you do buy this stuff and wearable items are to go south you can not buy parts and will have to replace the entire thing....

Just replaced my Saitek Yoke after 13 years of use. It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both. I have two extra quadrants that I purchased about 11 years ago and they are still working very well. I also have used my X52 flightstick  for over 11 years with absolutely no problems. I think we sometimes forget that if a manufacturer made a product that lasted forever they would soon be out of business due to the limited number of people who use a flight simulator.  Give the manufacturers some credit for producing the equipment at a reasonable price. Love our hobby!

John Edwards

11 minutes ago, jedwards said:

Just replaced my Saitek Yoke after 13 years of use. It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both. I have two extra quadrants that I purchased about 11 years ago and they are still working very well. I also have used my X52 flightstick  for over 11 years with absolutely no problems. I think we sometimes forget that if a manufacturer made a product that lasted forever they would soon be out of business due to the limited number of people who use a flight simulator.  Give the manufacturers some credit for producing the equipment at a reasonable price. Love our hobby!

John Edwards

I do not disagree....Nor did I state they are bad products or don't last.......

I am merely pointing out that now that Saitek is part of Logitech you can not get replacement parts but rather have to buy the entire thing again.  They are not "malfunctioning" they are not "operationally" inadequate.  Simply a plastic piece has broken and my only way to "replace" this one piece is to buy an entire TQ for 80 Dollars.......

So for those that read this post it is a warning about the fact that this is now the case.

5 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

It so happened that the Quadrant was acting erratic at the same time so I replaced them both.

Did you save them?  The OP might be able to salvage the part he needs.

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Did you save them?  The OP might be able to salvage the part he needs.

I am the OP :). 

Les, I am willing to remove a lever from the old quadrant and send it to you, how would we go about it?

1 hour ago, LesOReilly said:

I am the OP :). 

LOL.  I was quoting "jedwards" but did so from within your message where you quoted him.  Didn't notice the quote instead referenced you.  He recently replaced two quadrants that went bad.. 

Hello all,

I just caught this topic, a little late I know, but one thing stood out for me.

"Saitek/Logitech produce a category of products designed to be disposable. Anything of quality is generally orders of magnitude more expensive. You enter into a purchase agreement understanding that basic fact."

I have to say that I did not sign any purchase agreement and I was putting up a fair amount of money for a product which I thought was "reasonable" and did not ever consider as disposable. We all know that things wear out, but I look at it in the same context as buying a new car. Eventually. it is going to need replacement but in no way should it be considered disposable.

There are other comments along these "disposable/cheap"  lines which, to me, indicate some degree of acceptance of this fact. I have to say that I disagree vehemently with this. As an aged pensioner, all my money is necessarily spent after considerable  forethought. I do not, and I assume most people don't, conciously spend over two hundred dollars on something that is either junk, or that one knows he will have to throw away after a short period of time.

I invested in the Saitek yoke, two throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, and a trim wheel. This was purchased from Amazon and cost me well over AUD1000.00 to get them into Indonesia. I have to say that even at that price I have been largely happy with them all.  However, at this time I have a problem with both quadrants and not the usual (youtube covered) cleaning of the potentiometers. My problem with both is with the PC board enclosed in the package. I know for sure that I cannot replace them so I am looking elsewhere for a replacement (possibly CH Products 6 axis throttle quad) 

I also have the usual problem with the rudder problem (also youtube covered) and am in the throes of repairing that. 

So whilst I am having a small whinge, I have to bear in mind, firstly that these are now well over 7 years old, (I think fairly good value) and, that as previously mentioned, they are relatively cheap compared to other "quality" products on the market. YES, if I could afford it, I would be buying  the good quality products that others have mentioned and Saitek/Logitech would not enter the equation and therein lies the difference between dreams and reality.

Again, all of these comments are personal and not intended to inflame the topic in any way. The quote above is meant as an example and is NOT a passing shot across the bows at anyone.

Regards to all

Tony

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

I just caught this topic, a little late I know, but one thing stood out for me.

"Saitek/Logitech produce a category of products designed to be disposable. Anything of quality is generally orders of magnitude more expensive. You enter into a purchase agreement understanding that basic fact."

I have to say that I did not sign any purchase agreement and I was putting up a fair amount of money for a product which I thought was "reasonable" and did not ever consider as disposable. We all know that things wear out, but I look at it in the same context as buying a new car. Eventually. it is going to need replacement but in no way should it be considered disposable.

There are other comments along these "disposable/cheap"  lines which, to me, indicate some degree of acceptance of this fact. I have to say that I disagree vehemently with this. As an aged pensioner, all my money is necessarily spent after considerable  forethought. I do not, and I assume most people don't, conciously spend over two hundred dollars on something that is either junk, or that one knows he will have to throw away after a short period of time.

I invested in the Saitek yoke, two throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, and a trim wheel. This was purchased from Amazon and cost me well over AUD1000.00 to get them into Indonesia. I have to say that even at that price I have been largely happy with them all.  However, at this time I have a problem with both quadrants and not the usual (youtube covered) cleaning of the potentiometers. My problem with both is with the PC board enclosed in the package. I know for sure that I cannot replace them so I am looking elsewhere for a replacement (possibly CH Products 6 axis throttle quad) 

I also have the usual problem with the rudder problem (also youtube covered) and am in the throes of repairing that. 

So whilst I am having a small whinge, I have to bear in mind, firstly that these are now well over 7 years old, (I think fairly good value) and, that as previously mentioned, they are relatively cheap compared to other "quality" products on the market. YES, if I could afford it, I would be buying  the good quality products that others have mentioned and Saitek/Logitech would not enter the equation and therein lies the difference between dreams and reality.

Again, all of these comments are personal and not intended to inflame the topic in any way. The quote above is meant as an example and is NOT a passing shot across the bows at anyone.

Regards to all

Tony

Hi Tony,

Just an FYI but you could always open them up and remove the Boards in the TQs...I replaced those with just "port" pcbs with low cost tactile switches.  Cut them to fit into the space of the Buttons.

Disconnected all of the wires from the POTs and then ran them outside the back (drilled a decent size whole and pulled the wire that I connect to all the buttons and the POTs external to it.  Then connected them both up to a Leo Bodnar Board that has the 10 Bit Analog Axis.  This gave the Saitek TQs a range of 0-1024 instead of 255 so you do get finer control.

Since I had bought one of those throttle Box holders for 2 quads I was able to mount the Board under the Box and then to standoffs I glued to the Bottom...So it is no "Inside" the area of the plastic shell below the Quads.  You possibly could do the same to keep them going...

Les,

Thanks you for that ... it gives me fresh hope.  FYI also, I think I have found a gentleman who may (?) be able to repair the boards here in Indonesia, and if so I may well follow that option. However, I have indeed heard great things about the Leo Bodnar boards and that is a GREAT option.  However, I do not have the expertise nor the steady hands required for that sort of a job and again, I would have to find someone who could do it for me.

I am in the dark about where to obtain the Leo PCB and all the other necessaries.

I wonder if you could possibly send me via PM some more detailed instructions and for that I would be very grateful.

Regards

Tony