Quackarov

Best training helicopter?

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Still no choppers in IL-2 😕

il2 is only good for what it does. 

• Like 2

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

9 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Have modded my Logitech attack 3 as a Gyro + Accelerometer using an Arduino for the cyclic with an extension of 1.5 ft. , had removed the centering spring but as i don't want to purchase an extra one just for fixed wings put the spring back and its fine and still has that looseness for helis as they usually don't have a centering spring.

It's highly precise for helis without needing any curves for X-plane / DCS. The R22 does need some curves and stability due to it's twitchy nature and an overdone axis effect of XP10 

I did something similar with a spring removal on my TM Warthog joystick (but without the extension). The stock joystick has a very heavy spring, which works fine for air combat (sort-of simulates dynamic forces), but it's too heavy for delicate stuff like helicopter hovering, which shouldn't really have a centering force anyway.

So I used a mod I saw on YouTube, removing the big main spring. There are still four tiny springs left that give a very loose centering, but it's so loose the stick will stay flopped over at the side if I leave it there. Works great for helicopters, and it still works fine for civilian fixed wing flying.

If I ever get back into air combat sims, I might have to buy another ($$$) Warthog joystick and swap them out! Although that would also be the perfect time to do an extension handle mod on the modded Warthog stick. 

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

24 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I did something similar with a spring removal on my TM Warthog joystick (but without the extension). The stock joystick has a very heavy spring, which works fine for air combat (sort-of simulates dynamic forces), but it's too heavy for delicate stuff like helicopter hovering, which shouldn't really have a centering force anyway.

So I used a mod I saw on YouTube, removing the big main spring. There are still four tiny springs left that give a very loose centering, but it's so loose the stick will stay flopped over at the side if I leave it there. Works great for helicopters, and it still works fine for civilian fixed wing flying.

If I ever get back into air combat sims, I might have to buy another ($$$) Warthog joystick and swap them out! Although that would also be the perfect time to do an extension handle mod on the modded Warthog stick. 

Yep , i get the same flopped over the side thing even with the centering spring, probably because the sticks extended , doubt it would flop to the side with it's original length , for fixed wingz for il2 combat works fine though.

You can get the T16000m stick instead of the warthog , it has great reviews. was considering it but then i had the idea of using the Arduino with the MPU 6050,

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

.You can get the T16000m stick instead of the warthog , it has great reviews. was considering it but then i had the idea of using the Arduino with the MPU 6050,

...I can confirm this: I'm using the T16000 for most of my heli-flying since more than 3 years, no problems at all, very responsive.

My collective is a DIY lever, and it works fabulous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KBUR said:

My collective is a DIY lever, and it works fabulous.

Would be interesting to know how it looks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Would be interesting to know how it looks. 

...we will see :laugh:.  Currently I'm at work but maybe tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest.

• Like 1

I have the VSkylabs Mini-500 if it has not already been mentioned.  Nice single place commuter helicopter also equipped with an autopilot, simple with altitude and heading hold.  Lots of fun to fly and it can hover well.  For a twist, the VSkylabs gyro copter is also fun, and can make zero roll landings.  It flies like a gyro should.

John

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:25 PM, KBUR said:

...we will see :laugh:.  Currently I'm at work but maybe tomorrow.

Thank you for your interest.

Whenever possible. I need to make one too. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice to try the freeware Bell 429! It flies very smoothly, but has one annoyance for me. When I use Shift+9 to switch to the 3D cockpit forward view, unlike any other aircraft I have flown in X-Plane or FSX, it defaults to a view zoomed in so far that none of the instrument panel is visible. It seems to ignore whatever zoom level I had been using previously. Is there a way I can tweak a setting or something in one of its config files to get it to stop doing that? I can program a control or keyboard button to do "Shift+9 then ,,, then 10 Down Arrow presses" to get it back to what I want to see, but I am hoping to find a better way to "fix" the issue. 

Regarding freeware, there have been two other good helis you might want to try.

one is the b206, the other is a Hughes 500D

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 hours ago, france89 said:

Regarding freeware, there have been two other good helis you might want to try.

one is the b206, the other is a Hughes 500D

Thank you! I'll check those out too. 

11 hours ago, Zoandar said:

Thanks for your advice to try the freeware Bell 429! It flies very smoothly, but has one annoyance for me. When I use Shift+9 to switch to the 3D cockpit forward view, unlike any other aircraft I have flown in X-Plane or FSX, it defaults to a view zoomed in so far that none of the instrument panel is visible. It seems to ignore whatever zoom level I had been using previously. Is there a way I can tweak a setting or something in one of its config files to get it to stop doing that? I can program a control or keyboard button to do "Shift+9 then ,,, then 10 Down Arrow presses" to get it back to what I want to see, but I am hoping to find a better way to "fix" the issue. 

The best approach is to ignore the preset views, and set your own custom views.

Move the camera to whatever cockpit view you want, then press the Ctrl key along with a number on the numeric keypad. That assigns a view you can recall just by hitting the number. The custom views are saved for each aircraft model individually.

I have keypad view #1 as my main cockpit view and assigned to a button on my joystick. I use #7 for a close view of the autopilot settings, #6 for the fuel gauges, #2 for lighting panel, and so on. Use whatever number scheme works for you, but it's a good idea to keep it set up the same way for all the aircraft you fly. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 3/27/2019 at 7:07 PM, ryanbatcund said:

I'd say the Dream Foil Bell 407 is your best choice.  It also supports RXP GTN integration through a freeware mod

Hello Ryan,

thanks for bringing this up. I got it during the sale and I am blown away how much better helicopters are in XP11 compared to FSX/P3D when it comes to flight dynamics. And the model itself is very well done.

Peter 

8 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

Hello Ryan,

thanks for bringing this up. I got it during the sale and I am blown away how much better helicopters are in XP11 compared to FSX/P3D when it comes to flight dynamics. And the model itself is very well done.

Peter 

Yep the 407 is a lovely addon.  And with RXP support it's even nicer.  The touch screen is so much easier than little clickspots on the 430, especially when flying online .

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |