Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

Really new screenshots...

isn`t strange that memebers from ms team like Mike and Jason didn`t post anything in this subject???? :)brds

If thats DX10 on the second pic,,,just another reason to wait to upgrade the computer when DX hardware/Vista come available.Eric

Eric 

Guest JeanLuc_

Why wait? buy FSX when it hits the stores, fly with it, enjoy it! when Vista/DX10 hits the stores, reinstall FSX on the computer!Hope this helps!

Guest JoJoDawg

Holy carp then they are real.Now all Tdragger needs to do is come to this thread and confirm it here. :(

Guest tcable

Well he DID confirm it on simflight. He's also stated that these images were used to illustrate teh differences between DX9 and 10. Not the actual DX10 pre alpha product. I'd imagine that if that is a DX10 screen, it's running below 1FPS in emulation. IT might also be a 'tech demo' type of shot. Somehtign they CAN do, but it will not be practical to do with any real level of performance.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>isn`t strange that memebers from ms team like Mike and Jason>didn`t post anything in this subject???? :)>>brdsDon't read anything into whether we answer questions or not.I'd also tell everybody not to get too worked up about these images. Until we (MSFT/ACES) release screenshots/movies that are explicitly tagged as being "DX10," anything you see illustrating the potential differences between DX9 and DX10 should be treated as exactly that: an illustration.At the end of the day, the happy news should be that what is shipping this holiday season will run on existing hardware, and should look great. :)Cheers,Jason

Guest tdragger

I think Jason has it covered. ;)

Guest JSPuonti

I do have to say that Jason's explanation leaves room for interpretation. To *me* it clearly sounds like he's saying the second picture is simply a mock-up and not what is in actuality being done with DX10 code at this time, but I'm sure someone else could take it the other way around. I can see how IGN and other gaming portals would get all worked up after seeing these two images and being told "this is the difference between DX9 and DX10", though.In any case, I'll do what Jason suggested and reserve final judgement for when you guys DO release screenshots tagged explicitly as "actual DX10 code" :)

>I do have to say that Jason's explanation leaves room for>interpretation. I think it is relatively simple and there is no need for different ways of "interpretation". The picture may indeed show DX10 capability and most likely it was rendered using the DX10/hardware emulator - the same way as video card manufacturers can simulate behaviour of the hardware using software. But whether we will see similar results in FSX is debatable since it could sink any hope of decent fluidity so important in FSX.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest JSPuonti

Maybe simple to you and me Michael - we might be in agreement over the issue, but that doesn't mean everyone will be :) I'm absolutely certain someone will read Jason's post and think the screenshots are proof of actual DX10 wave shader code we'll be seeing in FSX (in other words, that the "DX10" shot is "genuine").I guess in the end the room for different interpretations comes from two things: what a person WANTS to see and what they consider to be "genuine".Someone might really, really want to see waves like that in FSX so they're more eager to take any statement as support of that fact. As far as I go, if it looks too good to be true I tend to take the more cautious stance.Likewise, someone might consider it "genuine" as long as it's generated by code (irregardless of performance) and not Photoshopped together (to me it does look 'chopped, but maybe that's just me). I will consider it "genuine" when the devteam says this is what they have running on DX10 hardware in real time.In any case Jason's right in that this is not worth getting worked up over at this time, so as far as the waves go I'm going to take a step back and wait for more information from the only reliable source around... ;)

I hope folks are savy enough to know there is no DX10 hardware yet. So there are only two possibilities remaining. Either the pictures above are as you say "photoshopped" in which case there are worthless as far as I am concerned or they are software-generated on an DX10 emulator in which case they do have significant value since they "illustrate" as Jason stated true DX10 capabilities. I tend to go with the latter.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest JSPuonti

>I hope folks are savy enough to know there is no DX10>hardware yet.Yeah, it's the basis for my stance. As long as there's no DX10 hardware available to the developers the requirements for what I will consider "genuine" in this case can't be met.Beyond that though I can't say I'm in the loop. What's the timeframe for DX10 hardware?

Guest alex333

Jason wrote:>I'd also tell everybody not to get too worked up about these>images. >>Until we (MSFT/ACES) release screenshots/movies that are>explicitly tagged as being "DX10," anything you see>illustrating the potential differences between DX9 and DX10>should be treated as exactly that: an illustration.So, to me this sounds like: "This is an illustration of what DX10 compared to DX9 will look like.This is *not* a real DX10 shot as this is not yet possible."If you ask me: Whether the second shot is a photoshopped one or whether it has been emulated is not really important, at least to me. What we can be sure of is: The first shot shows what the game will most probably be capable of with DX9. It looks really great to me. The second shot shows an approximation of what it will will look like with DX10. As we have heard, the sim will have the DX10 capatibiliy built-in, so everybody who will buy FSX will be able to enjoy even better graphics similar to those in the illustration when DX10 comes out. Isn't that great news? :)