Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil56

Turbulent Designs Terra Flora

Been looking at this add on for a while...  https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/product/terraflora/

The tree types look really nice in the screenshots, and the cost seems quite reasonable, but i'm starting to think that if you don't do a lot of relatively "low and slow" VFR type flying, there really isn't a lot of benefit here.

Disabling the "speed trees" in v4.5 was the best thing i've done recently to improve the look (and perhaps performance) in P3D, and if using this add on would get rid of the remaining default bright green trees, it might be worth it.

I would be interested in hearing opinions on this, thanks.

If you can afford it, go for it. I used ORBX trees before but the TerraFlora ones are even better. They perform so well that you can ramp up your slider one notch. And that alone was worth the price for me. I would not fly with out them. And you pay once but trees in this quality and with realistic heights are a must for me. I enjoy them very much and can recommend them. They are pricy though but worth it. Best trees ever.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

Hi! I use them and I love them. They make for really nice landscape in the Rockies or in the Sierra Nevada.

I use the Orbx trees also, which are compatible with Terra flora. Orbx recommends installing their trees if you own some of their sceneries even if you have Terra flora.

• Upvote 1

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

4 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

I use the Orbx trees also, which are compatible with Terra flora. Orbx recommends installing their trees if you own some of their sceneries even if you have Terra flora.

Didn't know that. How would you go about getting the optimal setup with that, while also making sure TF becomes the preferred choice? I have TF installed now, assuming if I head into FTX Central and install the OrbX trees, it would just override TF? or is TF part of the TD_Libraries addon entry, thus when that is loaded near the top, it always takes precedence over OrbX trees?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Another here who owns both ORBX and TD trees.  They play well together, and depending upon where you're flying in the world can be very much alike or very different.  Either way they look great together all the time!  I like the color differences and tree variations of Terra Flora a bit more, but I'm glad to own both.

22 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

...but i'm starting to think that if you don't do a lot of relatively "low and slow" VFR type flying, there really isn't a lot of benefit here.

Good point!  I rarely climb into the Class A, but when I do it is indeed difficult to tell the difference.  For some tube fliers add-on trees may be a low priority add-on.

Good luck,

Greg

• Upvote 2

I have both and can highly recommend TF. Once I saw them, especially the evergreens in the Rockies, there's no going back for me. And no performance hit at all that I've noticed..

With TF I believe the Orbx trees are used in the individual regions, not Global and NA Landclass. AFAIK there is no way to select TF as primary but it all seems to work out ok.

Hope this helps.

Gerald

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 1

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Didn't know that. How would you go about getting the optimal setup with that, while also making sure TF becomes the preferred choice? I have TF installed now, assuming if I head into FTX Central and install the OrbX trees, it would just override TF? or is TF part of the TD_Libraries addon entry, thus when that is loaded near the top, it always takes precedence over OrbX trees?

Installed orbx trees first then TF. From what I remember it was said on the Orbx forums that the Orbx sceneries made use of the Orbx trees HD in some sceneries, while all other trees were replaced by TF or something like that. I'm on my phone right now gonna try to find the reference.

Edited by TopGun33

Guillaume

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

• Upvote 2

Guillaume

3 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

Interesting. Always assumed OrbX scenery used their own trees per default, guess not. Just installed the OrbX trees and re-installed TF, so the order should be correct.

Thanks for that bit of information TG.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Always happy to help🙂

Guillaume

For those who are interested there is also the Terra Emergence project, which has a nice entry point price (freeware).

In my order the trees would be.

1. Terra Flora
  2. Terra Emergance
  3. Orbx HD Trees

In actuality they are all good in their own right and much better than the detaults.

Myself I go for #2 (has the right price entry point) which I used to replace HD Trees.

Top it off with HD Grass and both the ground and trees are muchly improved.

HD Grass:

https://www.drzewiecki-design.net/prodDD_GrassX.htm

Although if jabloomf1230 and his recoloured speed trees makes make some inroads @ LM... perhaps speed trees will become usable.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D