Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

**Hurricane Katrina- 2nd Lowest Pressure Ever?**

Hi all,I just heard on the Weather Channel the good Dr. telling us this storm has the second lowest pressure ever, (so far).Gilbert in '88 had the lowest, and had peak winds at 185mph.Katrina right Now has Max Sustained at 175mph with Gusts up to 215mph.This is a Major Category 5 Super Hurricane. If you are anywhere in its path, Please leave now. This is not some Minor Hurricane, this is the one they have feared for decades of Hitting Near New Orleans.Although the track is never 100% clear, wherever this things makes landfall won't have much left to see.I've assembled some links for our members to follow this massive tragedy in the making. Prayers that everyone gets out in time, and those that stay are safe.Past Hurricane Historyhttp://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/history.shtmlFema Preparedness Guides (might be a bit late for this one):http://www.fema.gov/preparedness/prepare_g...nks.shtm#guidesLouisiana - Before and After a Hurricane:http://www.loep.state.la.us/factsheets/todohurrsht.htmSatellite Images Can be Accessed Here:http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtmlGOES Loop Visiblehttp://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.htmlGOES IR Loop.http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.htmlHurricane Local Statement for KATRINAhttp://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS84-KLIX.shtmlLater Statements can be found by Going to this page, and clicking on nearest area.http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/index_hls2.shtmlHere is the Latest:AT 10 AM CDT...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEARLATITUDE 26.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 88.1 WEST OR ABOUT 225 MILESSOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 175 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.HURRICANE KATRINA IS A CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIRSIMPSON SCALE. SOME MINOR FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH IS POSSIBLEDURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. HOWEVER...KATRINA IS EXPECTED TOMAKE LANDFALL AT A CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PACKING SUSTAINED160 MPH WINDS. HURRICANE KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWESTNEAR 12 MPH AND A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTEDLATER TODAY.....A DROP IN THE EYE GAVE A CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 907 MB....A FEW AREAS MAY EXPERIENCE STORM SURGE FLOODING AS HIGH AS 25 FEET.KATRINA IS FORECAST TO MOVE ASHORE AS CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE...SIMILAR IN STRENGTH TO HURRICANE CAMILLE IN 1969. WINDS ASSOCIATEDCATEGORY 4 AND CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE CAN TOTALLY DESTROY MOBILEHOMES...AND CAUSE MAJOR DAMAGE TO EVEN WELL CONSTRUCTED BUILDINGS.HIGHER WIND SPEEDS ARE LIKELY TO BE EXPERIENCED ON UPPER FLOORS OFTALL BUILDINGS CAUSING DAMAGE.If you are in the path of this, please leave. if you plan on staying, let some relative outside the area know where you will be so the searchers can find you.Good Luck and God Speed.Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Chase,The pumps, IMHO, will fail. This is a Cat 5 Storm, and I fear we may lose new Orleans altogether.The Grid in that area will be destroyed, and I don't think people should be heading to the Superdome either. Think of a Tornado hitting that dome continually for two hours or so. I have a bad feeling about that place. I hope it is just nerves for the people I see going in there.I saw a Storm Surge forecast of 20-30 feet. That would be a record for hurricanes in The United States. I think I heard 12014 was the previous.The Dikes and walls will fail, and the Problem is lake Ponch will be merged with the Gulf, and New Orleans may not be able to be pumped out, or if so, may take months to do so. The benefits of doing so may not be as good as the benefits of writing the area off.This could be the worst case scenario many have been talking about for decades.We can only pray at this point that the Cold Front Slams into this thing, and the winds dissipate as it turns North bringing it down to a Cat 4 or even a 3.It's Possible, but it's also possible this wind forecast will remain.Picture a 200 Mile Wide F3 Tornado that stays stationary for an hour or so. Tragic... An F3 just rolls on through. A Hurricane with Severe Tornado winds sustained for a couple of hours won't leave much left in its path.****************On another Point, fill up your cars with gas no matter where you are today. The rigs will sustain damage as they have in the past, and with prices where they are, they will go higher.Fill up with gas today, not tomorrow, for tomorrow they will spike throughout the week, IMHO.****************Take a Look at what Camille did in August, 1969, and compare the satellite pics with Katrina. It Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out what this storm will be capable of doing. Take a close look down the page at the Apartment Complex.Camille Stats, and pics:http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanecamille.htm**************Pressure now at 906mb, lower than what Camille had.Winds still 175mph sustained, moving NW at 13mph. This thing is too big to collapse much in teh next 14-16 Hours before she hits.Folks, we need to pray for those that are still there. May the Lord Bless them and keep them Safe. Amen.

Winds up to 184mph, and pressure down to 902mb per weather channel.Folks, there is a pretty LARGE chance this storm will not weaken, and the pressure will keep decreasing to high 800's.Word is FEMA has been told this storm will not weaken. (read at Free republic in teh live thread, heard on CNN.) http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1472323/postsFR is on Thread v with Thousands of posts already. Those threads when live usually is the best place I get info from. Even if you don't like conservatives, any info source is a good source.

Guest GeekyFreq

All I can say is good luck to anyone in that area. I hope you and everyone you care about stays safe!

I can't believe what I am hearing.They are not evacuating Prisons, Hospitals, etc.... This is CRIMINAL.Louisiana's Governor, and the local Government has failed to get buses, trucks, etc. to evacuate these people from Friday through Sunday borders on incompetent and neglect.Keep this in mind on Tuesday and Wednesday as we hear the death toll of those who were not removed like Hospitals, Prisons, elderly facilities, etc...Nothing has been done that I have heard, and they are not evacuating the ones who cannot evacuate themselves.That is going to be the most horrific part of this story I fear.I can't believe they are not evacuating Hospitals. This is CRIMINAL Behavior on the part of the Local and State Governments. How can they let this happen?

I hope that the poor souls in the way of this mega storm can remain somewhat calmer than you, Sonar5. While I admire your concern, I really don't believe you are helping anyone, or the morale of the people affected, with your prophecies of death and destruction.Good luck to everyone affected, I hope you come through OK.David

David Porrett

It's not just my prophecies David.It is also those within the know about these things.MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 175 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THESAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE...AT LEAST EQUAL TO HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT 24HOURS...BUT KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY FIVEHURRICANE.BASED ON THE LATEST FORECAST TRACK AND SPEED...A CATEGORY FIVELAND-FALLING HURRICANE WOULD BRING TIDE LEVELS AS HIGH AS 10 TO 15FEET ALONG COASTAL MOBILE COUNTY AND THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF MOBILEBAY...WITH A SURGE AROUND 20 FEET POSSIBLE IN THE NORTHERNPART OF MOBILE BAY...WHICH WOULD SEVERELY AFFECT DOWNTOWNMOBILE WITH WATER SPILLING INTO THE DOWNTOWN AREA ANDEXTENDING AS FAR WEST AS BROAD STREET. THIS WOULD BE THE HIGHESTSURGE LEVEL EVER EXPERIENCED IN MOBILE. FOR COMPARISON...THEHIGHEST SURGE LEVELS PREVIOUSLY EXPERIENCED IN THE DOWNTOWN AREAWERE NEAR 9 FEET WITH HURRICANES FREDERIC AND GEORGES. INADDITION...DAUPHIN ISLAND WOULD LIKELY BE INUNDATED...EXCEPT FORHIGHER GROUND ON THE EAST END.You sound just like the people still drinking in the bars in New Orleans who think this thing is media hype. Unfortunately, they will most likely be lost in this type of storm.And, for those that are still there, they did not heed the warnings given to them earlier if they had a means to escape. I will be praying for them.As for death and destruction, yes it will happen, and there is nothing that can stop this storm now, nothing.Do you realize the Superdome was studied with wind effects of only up to 130 mph. Think about that.News reporters think they will be safe on the third floor of a building, not taking account of the damage due to the winds and F3 Tornado Category style effects.As for Category 5 Storms, we have had only 3 other Cat 5 STorms EVER make landfall in the United States. Ever Dave.The Pumps in new Orleans are designed to pump an inch an hour. They won't make it Dave.So what part of the word CATASTROPHIC do you not understand?BTW - I just filled up my gas at $2.639 a Gallon.*************News reports are estimating up to 100,000 are now stranded inside new Orleans.There are now thousands outside the SuperDome waiting to get in according to FNc who is the only Channel who has live coverage at the Dome.. And yes, I have shed some tears today thinking about these people who are about to lose their lives. And I am not the only one who has done so. Even Janice Dean on FNC looked like she was ready to cry over this.This will hit not mid-morning like some ar esaying but probably 3-4 am, as it is increasing slightly in its trend.

Hi David...Joe's comments, based upon what we know right now, seem appropriate and well grounded:bthttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167270,00.htmlKatrina Heads for New Orleans Sunday, August 28, 2005Associated Press..."We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared," Mayor Ray Nagin said in ordering the mandatory evacuation for his city of 485,000 people, surrounded by suburbs of a million more. "The storm surge will most likely topple our levee system."Conceding that as many as 100,000 inner-city residents didn't have the means to leave and an untold number of tourists were stranded by the closing of the airport, the city arranged buses to take people to 10 last-resort shelters, including the Superdome.Nagin also dispatched police and firefighters to rouse people out with sirens and bullhorns, and even gave them the authority to commandeer vehicles to aid in the evacuation."This is very serious, of the highest nature," the mayor said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime event."For years, forecasters have warned of the nightmare scenario a big storm could bring to New Orleans, a bowl of a city that's up to 10 feet below sea level in spots and dependent on a network of levees, canals and pumps to keep dry. It's built between the half-mile-wide Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain, half the size of the state of Rhode Island.Estimates have been made of tens of thousands of deaths from flooding that could overrun the levees and turn New Orleans into a 30-foot-deep toxic lake filled with chemicals and petroleum from refineries, and waste from ruined septic systems.

2.64 isnt bad for being in cali. Figured it would of busted 3 a gallon by now. Here in houston, im paying 2.70 Im about to go fill up in a min, ill let you know what the prices are.

>I hope that the poor souls in the way of this mega storm can>remain somewhat calmer than you, Sonar5. While I admire your>concern, I really don't believe you are helping anyone, or the>morale of the people affected, with your prophecies of death>and destruction.>>Good luck to everyone affected, I hope you come through OK.>>DavidDavid,I suggest you read articles on the SuperDome. It is not recommended above Category II, according to some, and has NOT BEEN TESTED.From:http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl0923...nh.1295648.html On the surface, the Superdome seems like the most logical choice for an emergency shelter, and city officials are leaning in the Dome

And Then there is this from the Government of The United States of America.When you look at my comments, I also suggest youi all read this:I wonder why this warning is not being put on the Air.http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/us/allwarnings.htmlWWUS74 KLIX 282139NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA413 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA......DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALLFAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELYDAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOODFRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETEBLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOMEWALL AND ROOF FAILURE.HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...AFEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCHAS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITYVEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THEWINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWNAND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERINGINCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLYTHE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...AREPOSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.