Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

And many have mentioned it here and there...

But we really really shouldn't forget VR here.

The WindowMR HP Reverb headset this year has reached an entirely new visual fidelity level and who knows what 2020+ may bring.  Also, PSVR has been an interesting niche success that I could see MS wanting to jump into.

A gorgeous and highly performant new MSFS would be a perfect showcase for that, on PC and on the next Xbox.

Edited by irrics

5 minutes ago, sjt said:

“The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” - Henry Ford

“Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.” - C.S. Lewis

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

- George Santayana

• Like 1

"Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure." - Confucius

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

2 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Maybe... just maybe - and I know that quite a few people have expressed that it would be a miserable failure if true - that they want to aim at another demographic, than the people in here?

I wouldn't blame them a bit.

@Rob_Ainscough

I can't say I've seen anti-developer "hate"

(I hope you don't think that's my take - it's not at all).

I just want the base package of MSFS to offer a lot more out of the gate, as it should, and then the excellent third party market can fill in where it really shines (like hyper detailed airports and unique, really detailed aircraft, etc).

I want to be past the era of third parties being needed simply for an annual nav data update or for actual night lighting or correctly sized building autogen or good looking ground textures or any sort of reasonably accurate city scapes or any weather resembling reality, on and on and on

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

One thing is for certain, this hobby wouldn't be what it is today without these 3rd party content creators!  I hope however this turns out, we can continue to be able to add to our enjoyment of our simming experiences via these meticulously and artful created add-on's.  I have confidence these creators will succeed in whatever comes along in the future.  It's in their blood and they will figure it out no doubt about that.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

TechGuyMac replied to me. "Guess you missed the nearly 40 year history of this simulator and the fact that only 1 entry failed.

But no, that's fine, let's just pretend like none of that happened and "MS doesn't know what they're doing"."

This old Navy Pilot of Viet Nam era has been with MS Flight Sim from day one even before with Sublogic and Bruce Artwick. When MS dropped FSX like a stone and fired all the legacy programmers and offered us FLIGHT that was a serious betrayal. No TechGuy, I did not miss those 40 years. I was in on them throughout. That one failure was the warning signal that whoever was running that department was not interested in real simulation.

Still have all those original vintage Sublogic and MS Flight Sim disks. Are they worth anything?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

The big question would be whether it supports multiple inputs for separate flight controls like yoke/stick, throttle quadrant, and pedal inputs, but that could be managed differently on the console and PC versions of the sim. Console users of MSFS should at least have access to a stick and throttle HOTAS.

We should note that a user on the Orbx Forums has pointed out that the XB1 already has those peripherals available now, so it certainly stands to reason that MSFS 2020 on XBOX will also.

There will probably be many more options that show up in the market once a new FS is out also.

The Xbox has keyboard and mouse support, and Thrustmaster and HORI make Hotas joysticks and rudder pedals for it.  The new Xbox due out next year is going to be powerful (AMD Zen 2 processor with Navi chipset, 24GB of GGDR6 RAM, and an SSD drive), so it shouldn't have any problem running MSFS 2020 @4K 60fps.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-rudder-pedals

https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-rudder-pedals

http://stores.horiusa.com/ace-combat-7-hotas-flight-stick-for-xbox-one/

Link:  https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/174032-second-new-flight-simulator-topic/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1526682

Edited by irrics

7 minutes ago, Fedmediate said:

TechGuyMac replied to me. "Guess you missed the nearly 40 year history of this simulator and the fact that only 1 entry failed.

But no, that's fine, let's just pretend like none of that happened and "MS doesn't know what they're doing"."

This old Navy Pilot of Viet Nam era has been with MS Flight Sim from day one even before with Sublogic and Bruce Artwick. When MS dropped FSX like a stone and fired all the legacy programmers and offered us FLIGHT that was a serious betrayal. No TechGuy, I did not miss those 40 years. I was in on them throughout. That one failure was the warning signal that whoever was running that department was not interested in real simulation.

Still have all those original vintage Sublogic and MS Flight Sim disks. Are they worth anything?

Guess what? They're a business that has made a million and one commercial decisions throughout their history. They didn't betray anyone, they aren't your mother. 

20 minutes ago, irrics said:

@Rob_Ainscough

I can't say I've seen anti-developer "hate"

(I hope you don't think that's my take - it's not at all).

I just want the base package of MSFS to offer a lot more out of the gate, as it should, and then the excellent third party market can fill in where it really shines (like hyper detailed airports and unique, really detailed aircraft, etc).

I want to be past the era of third parties being needed simply for an annual nav data update or for actual night lighting or correctly sized building autogen or good looking ground textures or any sort of reasonably accurate city scapes or any weather resembling reality, on and on and on

Exactly, in what other area of life would you wish that you had to deal with MORE businesses/organisations to get what you want. 

Now, all we have to do is wait...

Easier said than done.

1 minute ago, ganter said:

Is it here yet?

Just released. It’s amazing.  

Jaw dropping in fact  

But...

Since it requires a subscription for its world class scenery, I’m sticking with FS98

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fedmediate said:

There's a reason this is called Flight SIMULATOR and not "Flight 2" or "Flight 2020".

You can be as skeptical as you want, the rest of us that paid attention in class will continue to believe the obvious truth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

There's a reason this is called Flight SIMULATOR and not "Flight 2" or "Flight 2020".

You can be as skeptical as you want, the rest of us that paid attention in class will continue to believe the obvious truth.

I sure hope you are correct... :unsure:

Bert