Sign in to follow this  
jbinner

HOW? Weren't licenses sold with FSX to other parties?

Am I the only one thinking the following: HOW is M$ bringing this back around again, as an updated version, when they sold off the rights? (or so I thought based on info I am not sure I can talk about yet)??? Didn't the education / business licenses get sold to Lockheed and the entertainment license to Dovetail? Or have I been under a rock since I left AVSIM?

I AM NOT trolling, just curious...as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere....or did M$ pull their magic hidden text again in those contracts?

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs Information Technology Analyst

Region 4 Business Critical Systems

System Specs on request

6 minutes ago, jbinner said:

Am I the only one thinking the following: HOW is M$ bringing this back around again, as an updated version, when they sold off the rights? (or so I thought based on info I am not sure I can talk about yet)??? Didn't the education / business licenses get sold to Lockheed and the entertainment license to Dovetail? Or have I been under a rock since I left AVSIM?

I AM NOT trolling, just curious...as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere....or did M$ pull their magic hidden text again in those contracts?

Read the statement from PMDG, MS had a clause saying they could come back to the market at any time and claim back any changes to the source code made.

S.

Microsoft entered into a licensing arrangement with Lockheed Martin for ms esp, they didn’t “sell off the rights”. No idea what the deal with dovetail games was, but presuming something similar. Companies very rarely actually sell intellectual property, unless that’s their whole reason for existing. 

• Like 1

What I figured. M$ played games with the community and we will all eat it up. Xplane here I come.

• Like 1

John Binner, MCDST

System Specs on request

As Robert Randazzo of PMDG tells it, when they were considering partnering with other add-on devs to keep MSFS alive back when ACES folded, one of the provisions in Microsoft's proposed contract was that they (M$) would have the right not only to come back into the market, but to incorporate any changes made by the licensee to the core simulation if they did...and naturally, that was unacceptable to PMDG and the others.

It all depends on what was in the contract with DT, and I'd bet good money that M$ wouldn't be going down this path if their legal team hadn't already paved the way

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Just now, w6kd said:

As Robert Randazzo of PMDG tells it, when they were considering partnering with other add-on devs to keep MSFS alive back when ACES folded, one of the provisions in Microsoft's proposed contract was that they (M$) would have the right not only to come back into the market, but to incorporate any changes made by the licensee to the core simulation if they did...and naturally, that was unacceptable to PMDG and the others.

It all depends on what was in the contract with DT, and I'd bet good money that M$ wouldn't be going down this path if their legal team hadn't already paved the way

Rob's word is gospel in my eyes. People that know me (of me? LOL) know that. There was a little meeting in Canada with the then AVSIM BoD, and others on the phone, when the "sale" of whatever rights was going on.  If Rob is talking about it, then my NDA doesn't apply anymore either. 🙂

BUT, as I said, all this will do is drive me to XPlane; or out of simming (again) altogether. It may be business as usual but it's not how I do business. I don't forget and I don't forget how the community was treated, what we were promised, and what never happened. And the cycle is coming around again full circle.

My questions are answered for now. Thanks for the quick replies.

John Binner, MCDST

System Specs on request

11 minutes ago, jbinner said:

Similarly, it seems LM franchised the rights to develop ESP for commercial purposes.
Microsoft are returning in the consumer entertainment segment, so no overlap there.

Given you previous comment on here:

and now:

4 minutes ago, jbinner said:

What I figured. M$ played games with the community and we will all eat it up. Xplane here I come.

Just because you say you aren't trolling, doesn't automatically make it so.

I don't see the point of this thread.

• Like 1

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO) / Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 / ASUS GTX 1070 O8G / 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz / triple monitor

WIN 10 Pro + P3Dv4 + PTA + EnvTex + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + ASP4 + Rex SF 3D + ChasePlane
PMDG 737NGX / QW787 / AS A32x A330 / MJC Dash 8
/ A2A PA-28 / JF C152 / PA A380 / PMDG 777 / FeelThere E-Jets v2

1 minute ago, F737NG said:

Similarly, it seems LM franchised the rights to develop ESP for commercial purposes.
Microsoft are returning in the consumer entertainment segment, so no overlap there.

and now:

the point was to ask a question and it was answered before your reply. But thanks.

(nice to see nothing has changed here.)

John Binner, MCDST

System Specs on request

Again, there is nothing particularly strange in that, per se. You are licensing something that you own, if someone makes improvements to it you want an option to be able to keep those changes. I can see why companies wouldn’t be particularly pleased that this is the case, but it’s not unusual. 

However, I have no idea on which terms pmdg thought they were negotiating or exactly what they thought they were getting. 

3 minutes ago, F737NG said:

and now:

I’m minded to agree - ignoring any replies that don’t line up with the original contention is usually a sure sign. 

Some people seriously over think things.

David Porrett

Question asked, Question answered.

This one's done before it sinks any further.

Thank you.

Rick

$ Bronze Donor

EAA 1317610