Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Poll: How do you want to pay for MS2020?

How do you want to pay for MS2020?  

202 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Assuming MS2020 wants a money stream… ( note multiple choice!)

• 1 - Sure, what's another subscription, I'll get it.
    • 1 - If the scheme is fair I'll consider it.
    • 1 - Requires a subscription, I'll not buy or play it.
    • 2 - Own then piecemeal like Flight, is what I'd prefer.
    • 3 - Monthly subscription is fine.
    • 3 - I want pay per use, so per minute or Gigabyte payment scheme.
    • 4 - Other.

3 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

I know longer want to lunch 10 different application (e.g. FTX Central, FSDT Live Update, REX…) to keep my flight simulator environment updated.

Steam can keep all of your games updated from one place without requiring a subscription.

10 minutes ago, goates said:

Steam can keep all of your games updated from one place without requiring a subscription.

Apples-to-Jeep comparison. Steam is a broker that provides an all inclusive platform to distribute games. They are not providing the content; instead, only a mechanism to distribute said content.  To that point, Steam by itself, is not predicated on external data.  The new MSFS appears to be.  Access to new data is not cheap/free.  That’s the key difference...

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 1

Matt King

4 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Apples-to-Jeep comparison. Steam is a broker that provides an all inclusive platform to distribute games. They are not providing the content; instead, only a mechanism to distribute said content.  To that point, Steam by itself, is not predicated on external data.  The new MSFS appears to be.  Access to new data is not cheap/free.  That’s the key difference...

No, it is not quite the same for updating more dynamic data like weather, but it is analogous to FTX Central for browsing, installing and maintaining your Orbx add-ons. I don't think a subscription is needed for this piece, whereas weather updates as well as detailed, accurate, and regularly updated scenery could be worth it.

K

6 minutes ago, goates said:

No, it is not quite the same for updating more dynamic data like weather, but it is analogous to FTX Central for browsing, installing and maintaining your Orbx add-ons. I don't think a subscription is needed for this piece, whereas weather updates as well as detailed, accurate, and regularly updated scenery could be worth it.

I should have been more clear; my apologies. I’m primarily referring to environmental updates based on updated imagery. For example, an airport is dynamically updated when new data is available (e.g. new buildings, runways or numbering). 

Matt King

36 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

I SAY PLEAE BRING IT ON!! 

The subscription paid would for the base sim only, anybody wishing to get 3rd party addons as part of the subscription is just dreaming..

S.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

The subscription paid would for the base sim only, anybody wishing to get 3rd party addons as part of the subscription is just dreaming..

S.

I think the idea is that a subscription could replace many of the scenery and weather add-ons. Ie. No need to purchase hundreds of dollars of Orbx and other add-ons to improve the scenery and keep it updated, which could be worth it. On the other hand, you are right that there is almost no way a subscription is going to cover aircraft etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Flyinside is a Kickstarter-funded project in Early Access on Steam. Different economic model. You can afford to operate at a loss as an Indie developer when trying to get a project off the ground. A business like Microsoft won't work that way.

Also it's not very data-intensive to stream the scenery I've seen in previews flying at altitude. It's the resolution when you get closer that matters for bandwidth.

good points👍

I don't see the point of this poll. We will not get a choice - it will be Microsoft's way or the highway.

David Porrett

The subscription is not for Microsoft Flight Simulator but the portal called PC Game Pass or XBOX Game pass which gives you access to Azure Cloud I think you will find.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I am curious why almost 40% of respondents don't want a subscription process?  For folks that pirate software, it's obvious, but for all the honest people (I'll assume the better of people here) what's the negatives behind a subscription?  (posting here on AVSIM so I assume internet connection isn't a problem)

I would ideally like to have it on disc or perhaps a one-time downloadable chunk of files for both the simulator as well as the scenery. Similar to the experience you go through when downloading Orthos for XP. You have a large chunk of files, set it to download and off you go about your business for a good few hours before it's all done and ready for you to enjoy.

My only reservation against streaming data in the sim is due to the poor internet speeds we have here in the Middle East (UAE, in my case) alongside the exorbitant price to get basic speeds compared to other parts of the globe. Add to it the highly asymmetrical connection and it's a disaster overall for end users.

Here's a chart that shows what we have to pay compared to the rest of the world: https://imgur.com/a/X1EAc
Although the chart shows UAE at the top, it actually puts us at the bottom. Have to love the irony there.

Edited by krazyk
  • Like 1

So you would be OK download 2-3 TB of data for a flight possibly a short flight at that, then again for another flight.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I want to pay for it in unmarked, non-sequential, low denomination bills, placed in three black plastic bin bags, left on the third floor of an abandoned multi-storey car park, at midnight.🤣

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

25 minutes ago, Chock said:

I want to pay for it in unmarked, non-sequential, low denomination bills, placed in three black plastic bin bags, left on the third floor of an abandoned multi-storey car park, at midnight.🤣

That's all well and good, but what about the taxes? :dry:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Is this thread for real or have I missed the joke? :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Possible to have it both ways ?...probably not but... pay once and be done, or if you want updates online flying etc. you pay the subscription ?, but like I said I'd rather pay for it off the shelf and be done, iRacing is the best racing sim, however subscription based and a money pit. I hope this new MSFS isn't a money pit.