Sign in to follow this  
patrickbc

Data streaming and offline mode confirmed

12 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Really cool! I dig these kinds of adventures.

Thanks!  It's just the way I prefer to fly.  If I spend too much time using VOR I get bored.  Dead reckoning and VFR are a kind of enforced sightseeing. 😄

I've done the "Cannibal Queen" flight 3 times so far.  "Flight of Passage" once.  The occasional individual trip from other books.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Thanks!  It's just the way I prefer to fly.  If I spend too much time using VOR I get bored.  Dead reckoning and VFR are a kind of enforced sightseeing. 😄

I've done the "Cannibal Queen" flight 3 times so far.  "Flight of Passage" once.  The occasional individual trip from other books.

Hook

No better way to read an aviation book than to "fly the book" in the sim on the fly! 

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I’ve come to the conclusion that this article is just click-through piece, if anyone cares. It’s an opinion based on the same amount of information as anything else. Doesn’t mean it won’t turn out to be right, but there is nothing new in it and it definitely isn’t based off a new interview. 

• Like 1

I already have the maximum internet connection speed my provider has available for my area, average download 15Mbps.

Needless to say, this new Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't hold much appeal to me.

40 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

*sigh* legitimate comment - some people really do not have sufficient bandwidth available to support streaming content, or indeed any decent connection at all.  I pushed the boundaries with the latter half of the comment I agree, but it is patently obvious its tongue in cheek.  And really, it could be construed either way, whatever happens...so I'd call that humour not political - I long since gave up on most  politicians.....

But better not to mention it at all as some people have strong opinions and this forum gets distracted and heated enough as it is.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I need to explain something.

Political comments are not allowed and will be deleted.

Quotes of those topics will also be deleted as they keep the offensive comment alive.

So please don't quote political statements or your post will be lost too. 

• Like 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

21 hours ago, LHookins said:

've done the "Cannibal Queen" flight 3 times so far. 

Loved that book

In the uk, anyone who values fast broadband (and doesn’t live in a cave/ farm) usually has virgin media - and they’ve recently announced 1gbs across the entire network within 18 months or so. 

The article twice used the word "unreal" to describe the jaw-dropping visuals of the new sim. So I'm wondering whether Microsoft might adopt the promotional phrase "As Unreal As It Gets!" 🙂

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

10 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

In the uk, anyone who values fast broadband (and doesn’t live in a cave/ farm) usually has virgin media - and they’ve recently announced 1gbs across the entire network within 18 months or so. 

I live in a reasonably new development (7 years old) in a large UK town and we don't have access to Virgin cable. The next new development, one mile away (and started about 2 years ago), does but has had problems with poor speeds from the start (they were promised ultra high speed connections) which seem to be down to contention problems. Some customers seem to be getting slower speeds than they previously had with FTTC broadband. Virgin clearly works well for some, but not all.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 7/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, ca_metal said:

This will keep players on their toes – get too comfortable running a commuter flight, and Azure might throw up sudden shifts in the weather, turning a sunny flight into a battle to keep aloft as storm conditions roll in.

No, thank you.

I want to fly with real world weather and sudden shifts outside the forecast or reports should only happen at a rate at which they happen in real life.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 7:32 PM, B777ER said:

I see companies like HiFi, REX and Orbx and their business models possibly losing a lot. If MS AI handles real-time weather and the way it already looks with the clouds and the sky and the AI scenery being loaded in real time as you fly there's no need for any of their products..

And is that, bad?

If Microsoft would have done it right from the start there would never have been the need for external weather tools. Personally I prefer simulation software that comes as complete as possible without the need for buying more sophisticated add-on's.

I used them all and I love that they exist. But I won't shed any tears if MS brings all that into one package and I don't have to run three seperate programs everytime I chose to fly.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 7/26/2019 at 1:55 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I must admit, surprised at some of the slower UK speeds

You should look at what we have in Germany.

I am lucky to live in the city where THE major telecomication company of Germany has it's HQ, so I don't suffer from it too much, but in general our Internet speeds are from the Bronze-Age...

And our politicians are incapable of coming up with an effective legislation to change that.

9 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I want to fly with real world weather and sudden shifts outside the forecast or reports should only happen at a rate at which they happen in real life.

This depends a lot on how the sim or add-on implements weather changes. METARS are generally issued once an hour and the weather is allowed to change significantly in that time without triggering a SPECI, interim report. So if the sim/app just updates the weather exactly as and when the new METAR reports it, without any sort of transition, you could easily get sudden, quite dramatic changes in the displayed conditions.

Luckily I could get a 1Gbit/s connection where I live (Switzerland) but it would cost me 25$ more per month than I pay now. That’s quite a lot considering that I’d only need it for flight simming. I guess I’d still buy it though. Hopefully we won’t need such a fast connection.  

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2