Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

New Orbx Central v4.0 now available to download

On 9/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, B777ER said:

Michael, what do you use to make disk backups of your hard drive?

Hi, I just use the inbuild win 7 image backup within win 10. I also make a backup of my P3Dv4 drive in the same process.

One thing i do recall with win7 image backup is that its not allowed to restore a systemimage if the drive you use for the backup is bigger than your new c:drive for restoring.

So even if you only have 150gb stored/used on your current c drive- it still needs to have more space than the size of the backup drive when you restore.

Not sure why though but rather important if your drive was defect and you desided to go for a small SSD for C:drive (which i did but now i just have a 1TB SSD for c).

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

After reading about all the troubles one can encounter when switching to Orbx Central, I'm definitely not switching until my next reinstall of P3D, which I hope is not going to happen for some time because everything works just fine right now. Today I wanted to buy the new Honolulu cityscape but realized at the last moment that I would be forced to switch. So, I won't be buying anything from Orbx until I switch. Why wouldn't they let users who still use FTX Central buy their stuff? I mean, it's their loss after all since there's a good number of users who still didn't switch.

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek
  • Upvote 3

It is perfectly possible to install the product in exactly the same way as FTX Central does

but using Orbx Central.

Edited by Reader

Yes, post edited, you were just a moment too quick, sorry to disappoint.

If the product is installed into the "Prepar3D v4 Folder" using Orbx Central,

the file structure is exactly the same as if using FTX Central and the product is

added to the scenery library (scenery.cfg file), not the add-ons (add-ons.cfg file) menu.

Edited by Reader

11 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yes, post edited, you were just a moment too quick, sorry to disappoint.

If the product is installed into the "Prepar3D v4 Folder" using Orbx Central,

the file structure is exactly the same as if using FTX Central and the product is

added to the scenery library (scenery.cfg file), not the add-ons (add-ons.cfg file) menu.

I understand that but that's not the issue. Right now I'm just too busy with work and life in general, to do the full P3D reinstall if something goes terribly wrong with switching from FTX Central to Orbx Central. I also don't have time to troubleshoot whatever issues may arise from the switch and there are a lot of them described in this post. I want to use my spare time to just enjoy flying. So, I decided I won't switch right now. If all the issues people encountered are fixed and there is potentially almost no risk going from FTX to Orbx Central than I may reconsider.

All these " problems" are really in the system of the user (to adapt an old saying).

I changed to v4 in the first week and have had absolutely no problems, I did not migrate anything, it wasn't required or necessary but the facility is there if needed.

Maybe I was just lucky, who knows? 

PS I have subsequently migrated one program to test and installed their free airports in the "library", all still good.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

26 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

there is potentially almost no risk going from FTX to Orbx Central than I may reconsider.

This is where it is now.

The risk increases if thereafter a full migration of dozens of products is undertaken but as

you have no time, simply installing one product as described carries no appreciable risk.

Just now, Reader said:

This is where it is now.

The risk increases if thereafter a full migration of dozens of products is undertaken but as

you have no time, simply installing one product as described carries no appreciable risk.

Issues with Global Vector were also solved?

If you only install one product then nothing else changes, so there are no "issues with Global Vector".

Please do not confuse the teething problems with adapting a massive catalogue of addon scenery to

a completely different installation method that has never been undertaken before with installing one product

into that catalogue and using the tried and tested method that has been in place for years.

In the end, the decision is yours but better to have the all the information before making the decision.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

All these " problems" are really in the system of the user (to adapt an old saying).

That's a bit harsh to say the least on those who initially installed Central as suggested by ORBX, Ian... I was among those who welcome Central 4 because it allowed to install all ORBX products outside P3Dv4.5, using xml as LM has been recommending to all developers for quite sometime now, so as to allow a cleaner and easier to manage P3D system.

That is when all problems happened for most (all?) users who had followed this new way of installing ORBX products, because their scenery.cfg file was literally destroyed and became unusable unless one accepts that a 20 minutes scenario loading time is normal, even after reordering the sceneries as they were initially.

ORBX then released a new version and recommended to users NOT to migrate, and in any case NOT to have ORBX Base outside P3D because it was causing problems for which LM had been requested for help. So now to say that these problems were caused by users is incorrect.

Evidently if one does not migrate ORBX products outside P3D, the problems are de facto eliminated, but so is the clear advantage and main objective of having all ORBX products outside the sim folder...!

50 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Issues with Global Vector were also solved?

Yes, issues with Global Vector are solved.

I did install ORBX Central recently and I did NOT migrate any of my current products. ORBX Central did not change anything, my simulator works as intended, scenery.cfg is maintained at the status it had before installing ORBX Central. Also updating my already installed products went without any issue...

However, I still wonder a little bit if this will be changed as soon as I purchase the first product and install it via add-on.xml method. I really hope that this will not corrupt everything...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 minutes ago, AnkH said:

However, I still wonder a little bit if this will be changed as soon as I purchase the first product and install it via add-on.xml method. I really hope that this will not corrupt everything...

Well, that's the main reason why I would switch... to buy new stuff :)

.....and yet you can install your new stuff exactly as before, should you wish to do so.