Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

New Orbx Central v4.0 now available to download

Guys,

They are fixing the app, it should be top notch soon.

One amazing thing is, that one unique bug was found during global testing and LM has to fix it now.  That means Hotfix or next version - something is coming up soon :wink:

I am impressed on how many simulators one app is going to work on; with speed efficiency - 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

16 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

A bit OTT. They are not the CIA.

As regards the contest: seems reasonable to me. Just moves the emphasis to their customers as opposed to any Tom, Dick or Harry ( or to be PC, Harriet).

I am a customer, as I already own MANY orbx products...so I'm not sure how your statement is relevant.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

SIMPLE QUESTION:  Can I still keep version 3 and order from ORBX as I usually have in the past?  If not, I will not buy any ORBX products until I can do it easily and with one click as I have in the past.

Stan

SIMPLE ANSWER:

No.

You can however

buy the latest products on Orbx Direct and install them with Orbx Central or

buy them with Orbx Central and install them with Orbx Central.

In both cases, the option is now there to install them either inside or outside P3D v4 and X Plane 11.

For now, all but the latest products are still able to be installed using FTX Central.

Seem to be able to run FSX Central 3 and 4 in tandem at the moment

An another update to FSX Central 4 imminent

xxd09

It seems that your version of Orbyx is somewhat bespoke.

Most if us are using either FTX Central or Orbx Central.

ORBX Central is exactly the same as FTX Central now since you can choose where to save your products. I updated to ORBX Central, deleted FTX and see no changes. Only an updated user interface.

• Like 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I installed ORBx Central last night (and uninstalled FTX Central 3 at the same time). My Scenery Library does not seem to have been affected at all, so maybe version 4.0.10 has resolved the major issues?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 hours ago, somiller said:

I am a customer, as I already own MANY orbx products...so I'm not sure how your statement is relevant.

Kind Regards,

Bit of a mix up here. That was not in reply to you but to this: from Nemo

"I've stopped my ORBX purchases anyway. IMO ORBX Central is too much monitoring and sending data...……"

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I remember something about "migration" in one of these threads, but I was never even asked a question about that during the installation process. My existing ORBx scenery is probably in exactly the same location as it has always been (since installation of ORBx Central was super quick), so I do not expect to suffer from any problems

For the record, is it possible to configure ORBx Central so that individual products are "inserted" in specific locations? ORBx TrueEarth GB South needs to be located below my UK2000 airports (and SimWings Heathrow Professional) in the Scenery Library, and TrueEarth Netherlands needs to be below FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol, so I want to be able to move TrueEarth GB Central and North down the list when the P3D v4 versions of these two regions are released.

Let's hope that at least GB Central is released this year :dry:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 8/28/2019 at 9:59 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

I dunno, but there are a lot of loopholes in the "No purchase necessary" laws in the US:

http://blog.rafflecopter.com/2015/04/no-purchase-necessary-giveaways/

If a company requires a purchase to be eligible for a contest prize, then it seems that they are running either a lottery or a raffle, not a contest.

The required purchase isn't the problem. The problem, rather, is that under United States law the "contest" as originally structured constituted and illegal lottery. A lottery includes three things (1) chance, (2) prize(s), and (3) consideration. To successfully run a contest or sweepstakes and not an illegal lottery you must eliminate one of these three factors. ORBX has recognized this and have changed the offering. They chose to retain the consideration (a purchase) and eliminate chance. It's now considered a writing contest with judged entries and no chance is involved................Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

The required purchase isn't the problem. The problem, rather, is that under United States law the "contest" as originally structured constituted and illegal lottery. A lottery includes three things (1) chance, (2) prize(s), and (3) consideration. To successfully run a contest or sweepstakes and not an illegal lottery you must eliminate one of these three factors. ORBX has recognized this and have changed the offering. They chose to retain the consideration (a purchase) and eliminate chance. It's now considered a writing contest with judged entries and no chance is involved................Doug

Wow, they found a loophole. Or they could have just stated, "Void where prohibited." The contest has so few winners, whether one or all of them got disqualified, it wouldn't matter. The company could just pick three more from a jurisdiction where the contest isn't illegal.

Is the flightsim industry in such desperate straits that it has to resort to contests?

Edited by jabloomf1230

I dunna know about the whole industry but it seems, to me, that ORBX had no idea what they were doing..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

20 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Is the flightsim industry in such desperate straits that it has to resort to contests?

I agree that repeated promotions are not exactly  a good sign.

We've seen in a few years, the "annual sale" of most of the developers becoming a 5 or 6 times event, setting up de facto a weird dual pricing on this market. A company known for its absolutely-no-sale policy just did one (once in a lifetime only, of course....). Good for us ? On the short term. only.

Now would you better have a 50% discount sale bringing in to you 20 000 dollars, that is to say losing 20 000 dollars on the full prices, or a  contest with a  full price purchase obligation to enter and  9000 dollars of prizes (itheorically, in reality much less as most of the contestants have already some products and the spectrum of products covers multiple plateforms when most of the simmers use only one)  ? The answer is, it depends on the number of participants. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam