Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

New Orbx Central v4.0 now available to download

appears to me that the arrival of the new FS plus the impact of the problems with OC have probably impacted on business a little.  I know they've both affected my personal purchasing.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Or perhaps people are a bit peeved that Orbx has reduced the frequency of their sales? The last sale was in May and there was no summer one held at all. I would say conversely to what is being touted here, that Orbx is in better financial health than ever before if it can afford to limit the number of sales it has and try a few different marketing initiatives like contests etc.

FWIW I have had zero issues with OC including having it continue to run in the background, have three sims supported (XP11, P3D4, AFS2), have multiple libraries for each sim, including the ability to have addons inside the sim folders, have backups saved for every install on a cheap 8GB HDD and also store my CC details with Stripe so I never have to visit their OrbxDirect website again. 

I could never go back to FTXCv3 - OC is orders of magnitude ahead in terms of functionality and pure demonic speed of downloading and installing.

1 hour ago, fta2017 said:

Or perhaps people are a bit peeved that Orbx has reduced the frequency of their sales? The last sale was in May and there was no summer one held at all. I would say conversely to what is being touted here, that Orbx is in better financial health than ever before if it can afford to limit the number of sales it has and try a few different marketing initiatives like contests etc.

FWIW I have had zero issues with OC including having it continue to run in the background, have three sims supported (XP11, P3D4, AFS2), have multiple libraries for each sim, including the ability to have addons inside the sim folders, have backups saved for every install on a cheap 8GB HDD and also store my CC details with Stripe so I never have to visit their OrbxDirect website again. 

I could never go back to FTXCv3 - OC is orders of magnitude ahead in terms of functionality and pure demonic speed of downloading and installing.

Glad you had no problems.  The offputting thing for me was Lorby's advice that it wasn't a good idea to use his scenery editor and use OC.  In a straight contest between the two I'm afraid there's no doubting which one wins...  If I hear enough people saying they appear to play well together I'll go to OC.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Everything appears to be OK with my existing ORBx scenery packages after installing ORBx Central, but the real test will come when I install any new ORBx products, since they will be installed with the new addon.xml method. My requirements are that I can determine where they are located in the Scenery Library, and also that they can be disabled when required. Having all installed scenery packages active for every flight is not a sensible option in P3D.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

The offputting thing for me was Lorby's advice that it wasn't a good idea to use his scenery editor and use OC.  In a straight contest between the two I'm afraid there's no doubting which one wins...  If I hear enough people saying they appear to play well together I'll go to OC.

I used both.  I had to install Orbx Central 4 in order to install the recent EGLC (which is excellent, BTW). After that the only problem I got was that the Lorby AddonOrganizer complained that the Add-On XML for a registered product (ObjectFlow 2) was missing, and advised not to continue.

I found the missing folder (for it was the Add-Ons folder which was missing -- in my Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons). It was in a recent backup.  I put the folder back, then booted AddonOrganizer with no error message. It then said there was a new package (Orbx ObjectFlow) and asked whether I wanted to enable that. So I said yes, and continued. Looking at the package list in that program I saw both ObjectFlow 2 and ObjectFlow.

I think Central 4 installed a new ObjectFlow, but now it has dropped the '2'. And it therefore deleted that folder. This represented a contradiction for AddOnOrganizer. I just disabled ObjectFlow 2 in AddOnOrganizers pakage list, and left ObjectFlow enabled.

Results: all good!

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

My requirements are that I can determine where they are located in the Scenery Library, and also that they can be disabled when required.

Addon.xml packages can be enabled/disabled by menu inside P3D, but AddonOrganizer is the better choice, as you can then do it before starting P3D. I believe that program offers an option to make groups, so you could then enable and disable regions etc. (But don't hold me to that).

Pete

Just now, Pete Dowson said:

I used both.  I had to install Orbx Central 4 in order to install the recent EGLC (which is excellent, BTW). After that the only problem I got was that the Lorby AddonOrganizer complained that the Add-On XML for a registered product (ObjectFlow 2) was missing, and advised not to continue.

I found the missing folder (for it was the Add-Ons folder which was missing -- in my Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons). It was in a recent backup.  I put the folder back, then booted AddonOrganizer with no error message. It then said there was a new package (Orbx ObjectFlow) and asked whether I wanted to enable that. So I said yes, and continued. Looking at the package list in that program I saw both ObjectFlow 2 and ObjectFlow.

I think Central 4 installed a new ObjectFlow, but now it has dropped the '2'. And it therefore deleted that folder. This represented a contradiction for AddOnOrganizer. I just disabled ObjectFlow 2 in AddOnOrganizers pakage list, and left ObjectFlow enabled.

Results: all good!

Pete

Thanks Pete, that counts as an endorsement, I'll give it a go. Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

Just now, Pete Dowson said:

Addon.xml packages can be enabled/disabled by menu inside P3D, but AddonOrganizer is the better choice, as you can then do it before starting P3D. I believe that program offers an option to make groups, so you could then enable and disable regions etc. (But don't hold me to that).

Pete

Where are the addon.xml packages enabled/disabled in P3D?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Or perhaps people are a bit peeved that Orbx has reduced the frequency of their sales? The last sale was in May and there was no summer one held at all.

And that would be a petulant response by people.
The last sale was the ’33-For-3′ Sale at the end of June.

I would say conversely to what is being touted here, that Orbx is in better financial health than ever before if it can afford to limit the number of sales it has and try a few different marketing initiatives like contests etc.

That does not appear to be the case. You offer price promotions to keep revenue coming in the door, but that has a cost on the bottom line at the end of the financial year.
The contest is an attempt to generate more full-price sales in a quieter part of the year without throwing away profit margin by offering lower cost products. The need for such marketing initiatives belies short-term rude financial health.

I appreciate a sale as much as the next person, but Orbx have had a lot more promotions in the last 12 months than they had in the ~18 months before (i.e. since the release of P3D v4.0). And they're not the only ones, we've even had PMDG offer their first ever promotion.

22 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Is the flightsim industry in such desperate straits that it has to resort to contests?

4 hours ago, domkle said:

I agree that repeated promotions are not exactly  a good sign.

We've seen in a few years, the "annual sale" of most of the developers becoming a 5 or 6 times event, setting up de facto a weird dual pricing on this market. A company known for its absolutely-no-sale policy just did one (once in a lifetime only, of course....). Good for us ? On the short term. only.

I agree. Developers are between a rock and a hard place. Since the MSFS announcement, many simmers have said that they will stop buying products altogether for current sims. A larger number (me included) have decided to reduce the number of add-ons that they will buy.

IMO, it's going to take some imagination and a steady stream of quality products by developers to keep the sales receipts coming in.
Those that can't, won't be around to get onto the MSFS bandwagon and reap the benefits.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Addons submenu somewhere. Sorry i can't remember exactly the main menu to select, and I don't have P3D running at the moment. But it is distinct from the Addons men with the options for the likes of GSX, FSUIPC etc.

Pete

2 hours ago, fta2017 said:

First I don't know anything about the financial situation of OrbX. I trust John V to be an astuie manager. My remarks were more general in nature. This market has been showing signs of stress for some time now. you don't make sales  if you don't need to.

Besides, OrbX has done a lot of recruitements this summer and aim to to release 127 products  from now to June. and I suppose they need a little cash .They didn't choose a "different marketing initiative."  They chose a solution that theorically yields a better financial return (the contest) than a discount sale. I hope for them it works because it is not obvious it does. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

In the in-game drop down Options\Add-ons menu.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:52 PM, Christopher Low said:

I remember something about "migration" in one of these threads, but I was never even asked a question about that during the installation process. My existing ORBx scenery is probably in exactly the same location as it has always been (since installation of ORBx Central was super quick), so I do not expect to suffer from any problems

For the record, is it possible to configure ORBx Central so that individual products are "inserted" in specific locations? ORBx TrueEarth GB South needs to be located below my UK2000 airports (and SimWings Heathrow Professional) in the Scenery Library, and TrueEarth Netherlands needs to be below FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol, so I want to be able to move TrueEarth GB Central and North down the list when the P3D v4 versions of these two regions are released.

Let's hope that at least GB Central is released this year :dry:

This is what I want to know too.

I want to decide where each scenery is in the library ( cfg and xml ) , being it Orbx or another developer.

With AO I have everything ordered by country and it is working perfectly for many months now...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

This is what I want to know too.

I want to decide where each scenery is in the library ( cfg and xml ) , being it Orbx or another developer.

With AO I have everything ordered by country and it is working perfectly for many months now...

the answer is no.

OC allows you to specify an insertion point for orbx add-ons.  It appears to then add a layer number for orbx add-ons only to make this happen.

if other add-on scenery is ascribed layer numbers through AO it appears these are NOT reordered, as when I installed OC I ended up with conflicting and messed up layers.

it was possible to reorder them how I wanted by using AO.

I also had the same issue with objectflow as described by Pete Dowson.

I have not yet migrated any Orbx product to Add-on.xml

I suspect that now the scenery layers are reset to my preference, that re-runnung OC will not mess them up again, but I haven't tested this yet.

The extension of this is that if I was to purchase another Orbx product, that would again impact on the scenery layering and produce a small number of duplicated layer numbers.  Again I haven't tested this yet, but I would expect the resulting problem to be relatively easily solved through AO.

I might purchase something today to test it!

xaP1VAU.png