BillS511

New Orbx Central v4.0 now available to download

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

To anybody who has downloaded and used this, any feedback would be appreciated!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link, @BillS511, but since you only provided the link, here is some of the highlights of this new version:

• Cross-Platform: whether you use Windows, macOS or Linux, Orbx Central will work for you.
  • Modern UI: the user interface has received a full overhaul, making it easier to use than ever before.
  • In-App Purchasing: you can now purchase and install Orbx products completely within Central! If you take the optional step to save your card, you can even complete purchases with just a few clicks!
  • Automatic Updates: never wonder if you’re using the latest version of Orbx scenery – Central will keep them up-to-date automatically.
  • Install Anywhere: want to install your Orbx scenery to another drive? Libraries make this easy. You can choose any location you wish, and have your Orbx scenery intelligently linked back into your simulator (using symbolic links in X-Plane and Aerofly, and add-on packages in Prepar3D v4).
  • Add-On Packages Support (add-on.xml): we now use add-on packages for Prepar3D v4! This means that if you need to re-install your whole simulator, you will not need to re-install all of your Orbx products.
  • Speed Improvements: the download and install component of Central has been completely re-written. It is now more robust, stable, and faster than ever before!

Migrating all of my products out of the core sim at the moment, prefer the UI of FTX Central, but nothing i wont get used to. i hope all is still ok after migration glad to get all of my purchases out of the core sim  

I notice the brief summation of what I think is the major change in that they are using the add-on.xml method.  This removes them completely from the scenery.cfg perhaps?  I think I'll lurk around their forum for a day or two to see what comes back from the users before jumping in on this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Excellent news, have been waiting for this.

Cheers, Rob

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:
  • Automatic Updates: never wonder if you’re using the latest version of Orbx scenery – Central will keep them up-to-date automatically.

I hope to have the choice to do it or not...?

Generally things go well but in some rare cases (ex KSAN), I'm glad I didn't do it... I want to be able to choose.
For the rest of the options, this is a big step forward.

Richard

• Upvote 1

Same here. I didn‘t update TE NL as I read some got bad FPS with newer versions(?)

Posted (edited)

@DrumsArt @PatC
You can choose to have auto updates on or off.
WvXPneT.jpg

Edited by BillS511
  • Upvote 2

I use SimStarterNG will this have any affect if I move my scenery out of P3D with the new FTX central. Will I have to Re build my Scenery Sets?  I'll wait and see what happens in the next few days before I try it out.

Is there a feature to check so it will not mess up your scenery.cfg file ?

I have arranged all scenery by country..

• Upvote 2

Been using it for months: have been waiting for the conversion of all of their products to work with this, and glad that that seems to be complete.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

For those of you using scenery management programs, (e.g. simstarter, lorby, et al) I highly recommend you make a backup of your current library oreder to avoid massive headaches as migrating and syncing WILL move things around.

You may also find some remnant folders/files in the P3D/FSX root that should be synced and cleaned up to avoid conflicts.

Double check the Orbx forums for any issues that arise as we all have vastly different installs and this update will surely generate some questions. (As an aside, you aren't required to migrate your programs to a new library, but it is recommended as it makes repairing and update the sim a breeze)

Edited by ZLA Steve

FWIW, I installed and migrated without issue. BUT, running the Vector AEC tool is not working. Vector scans but the disabled for side is empty every time for me. Has happened to a few folks. No replies from devs at this point but it's a real mess at some fields, especially the Rockies, as you can imagine.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/177178-elevation-problems-not-fixed-after-running-global-vector-auto-config/

I also found the Vector problem , nothing in the right side.

What I found disturbing is that after a clean Win10 and P3D install without any orbx installed I have a backup of Manually downloaded files ( all my products) , when I select Install I do it from the Install via  manually downloaded file , I select the file and starts extracting, once it finishes extracting starts downloading the whole thing again, meanning all my downloads are useless , I dont know if this is as it should be but "Install VIA Manual Download" does not work...

Jorge

PS : Just got an update to v4.0.0

Hi Jorge,

I just installed today, 4.0.0 is what I got. Were you part of the public beta?

No , the update  came to my surprise, also the Manual is different in the Download via downloaded files , shows Advanced Install instead of Install via...I cannot understand how no one has seen this install problem...probably very unique installation in my case  but it is bad as I would need to download all my purchases again...

Jorge

Posted (edited)

The new Central made a mess of my sim. Insertion points and are all over the place regardless of how I set it, so my scenery library is a mess, excludes need to be reset everywhere, and time is wasted fixing what wasn't broken. Almost tired of dealing with orbx bs. Also P3D loads slower now than ever...

Edited by SolRayz

Marc , the problem with the insertion point is that ORBX decides that their scenery insertion point is at the top, this hapens because in the add-on.xml some of them do not have a layer and P3D correvtly places the scenery at the top ...  they would need to fix this also ...

The loading times are also very high here and it is as a result of the way the xml method is used , they use Add-on Discovery path , this seems to be the problem as all my scenery and aircraft are installed using the Add-on package and I had no problem with loading...

Jorge

• Upvote 1

Ok thank you Jorge. Atleast I know I'm not alone. I was planning on writing on Orbx forum, but I don't feel like waiting a month for a response. 

Plus you get the BN brigade that never finds anything wrong and....

Someone will find it and complain ...will see...

Jorge

Phew thought it was just me my loading times are ridiculous and elevation issues are a joke.

I love it. ORBX Central 4.0. I commenced a clean install. So far everything works great. New additional SSD is being filled nicely. Plug in another SSD. Designate another library. Very simple. Works as advertised.

Just now, Ezra said:

I love it. ORBX Central 4.0. I commenced a clean install. So far everything works great. New additional SSD is being filled nicely. Plug in another SSD. Designate another library. Very simple. Works as advertised.

Yep, sounds like a piece of cake! 🤨

Good to know , let us know how you go with P3D loading time , are you installing from Manually downloaded files??

I found some interesting reading in the Manual regarding backups...

" If adding new files will exceed the backup directory’s maximum size, Central will automatically remove the oldest backups to make room for new content."

funny backup eh?

also the image for install shows "Advanced install" instead of "install via manual download" so the instructions cannot be used.

Jorge