Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Comment from PMDG

I have discovered the news of MSFS 2020 only a few days ago, so I assume most have seen these observations from PMDG:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/14257-12jun19-pmdg-and-the-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-question

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Yep, this topic and several others have been talked about almost 2 months ago. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

The link has expired so is no longer usable. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Really? I was able to read it easily, but like this topic here, it is "closed to replies."

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, I tried on 3 separate times and got this link has expired. 

Since you were able to read it I unlocked it. 

Go for it members. 😁

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Well,

of course Rob has a few points there... and it's too early to know their business model this time around. For me who have ended my simmer life devoted to combat flight simulation, and in particular IL-2 Great Battles (sometimes even War Thunder), I have to admit a "closed circuit" in terms of development appears to render much better results for the users, but IL-2 and War Thunder are different in their scope. MS FS2020 will provide Worldwide coverage, hopefully updated navaids and airfield database, but room for a "Universe" of aircraft add-ons, from GA to Airliners, helis, even Military, so, it's difficult to expect that, just like with MS FLIGHT bogus they'll all come from MS... OTOH, if they're going to limit their availability through xBox, we might indeed have a problem with what developers will be willing to adhere to that approach.

We've seen the major players didn't like the way MS FLIGHT was, and now we also have Prepar3d available, and growing as well, so, we there's always the possibility of some of you beong forced to have 3 main sims in your rigs - XP, P3D and MS FS 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Things should become clearer for third party developers in the next month, after all this how PMDG started back in FS9.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I think what is really interesting are the observations concerning Microsoft's emphasis on gaming (rather than flight simulation) and their assumed desire to "capture" an income stream from 3rd party addon developers. Like everyone else has said, we will see what Microsoft really brings out, but I personally do not see this as the end and/or replacement of serious flight simulation platforms like P3Dv4 (especially when coupled with Orbx sceneries and PMDG and A2A aircraft.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

30 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

I think what is really interesting are the observations concerning Microsoft's emphasis on gaming (rather than flight simulation)...

Show me where they do that. On their site they specifically emphasize the word 'simulator'.

• Like 4

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

25 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Show me where they do that. On their site they specifically emphasize the word 'simulator'.

I was simply referring to observations made by PMDG in their forum (that I referenced in the first post in this topic) based upon their history in working with Microsoft. I was not referring to Microsoft's statements. A couple of quotes from the PMDG forum:

"...Based upon history, we know: In 2005 Microsoft began to explore how to monetize the secondary add-on market for themselves...."

All of us would love to see a new, modern technology platform that remains open-world to developers ..., but it is highly unlikely (given recent history) that this will happen. I will not be surprised to see this title marketed more toward the game community based upon my historic conversations with Microsoft as they tried to find ways to expand their customer base. "

Just someone's opinion, of course, but someone who has a lot of history and knowledge to base that opinion.

It’s a good update by PMDG in my opinion, and I’m glad they posted it.  Some of it I knew, some I did not.  I still don’t like how Microsoft hasn’t even talked to any third party devs about the new sim yet, to me that honestly doesn’t bode very well.  I will admit that a sim developed by PMDG sounds like something I’d be very interested in.

I’m very excited about FS2020 but I’m very happy to keep flying with P3D as well, Lockheed’s done a great job in my opinion.  I think the potential for FS2020 to be something revolutionary and wonderful is what has me most excited, but Microsoft will have to be uncharacteristically progressive in their design and open in their execution if they intend to achieve that potential and succeed.  Like Robert outlays above, Microsoft’s own greed typically ruins their own potential.  Will this time be different?  That’s entirely up to Microsoft, and we’ll know soon enough.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Microsoft actually does the name Microsoft Flight Simulator proud this time and releases a sim which pleases everyone, both simmer and third party, and Microsoft, alike.

• Like 1

You don't know if MS has talked to 3rd parties or not. If they have I'm sure they are under a strict NDA. None of us currently know. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

So PMDG does not have a strategy to "monetize" their own  products? 

I own several PMDG aircraft, and though I paid a premium price for them, I'm  more than pleased with the quality of their output . So to monetize is the goal of most businesses out there...

• Like 1

I just saw a video in which states that reps from Microsoft were “surprise” attendees at Oshkosh and were engaging with other sim vendors and third parties there. 

Chris

PMDG is not an unbiased observer in this conversation. Not at all, so that should be kept in mind.  

Take from them what you will, but they have their own interests and past battles with MS influencing their outlook. They have every reason to tamp expectations so they can continue to sell $100+ airplanes over the next year. 

There's nothing wrong with that. That's part of running a business. 

I think the idea that it would be deeply wrong for MS to come up with a way to monetize 3rd party content in a way that works for everyone is nonsense though. That's not just normal in today's gaming market, it's vital if you want to see continued development. The enormous DTG + Steam fees were over the top, but MS getting some lesser cut benefits everyone, including the developers who can advertise to a larger audience. 

If PMDG's stipulation is to keep 100% of everything and keep selling planes at twice the cost of the base game, that may not work out, but there are other developers who are very talented at making study level simulations out there who will choose to make compromises to target a new market. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2