Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

My Newest Type Rating

Well, I passed! While there are some differences in the way the short bus flies compared to the 330, thankfully it wasn't as drastic as going from the Boeing to the Airbus like I did 10 years ago!

I'm home after a 3 day IOE trip, and excited to hold a line with international trips next month, plus 16 days off! I'll be around, and happy to answer any Airbus questions, or international (Atlantic) questions anyone may have.

Cheers,

-B

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

Congratulations, Bill. Now you can add the 330 to your resume. What's next 380?😊

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Thanks Rick! I'm seat locked to the 330 for at least 3 years, so depending what comes up next, I may just stay on the 330 until I retire, or move to the 787 if it comes to my base.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy reading the posts from current real world aviators as their posts lend reality to the world of aviation simulation.  Now let's hear it from Hummer drivers.

Jim Driskell

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

7 hours ago, busdriver said:

Well, I passed! While there are some differences in the way the short bus flies compared to the 330, thankfully it wasn't as drastic as going from the Boeing to the Airbus like I did 10 years ago!

Congrats! 👍I'm one of the very few pilots in my company who transitioned back to short/medium range after 11 years of LR flying because I really missed the flying part.

2-3 landings a month was way too little for me to enjoy flying.

Did they ever improve the A/T on the 330? Many years ago it used to be really bad in turbulence with constant hunting and serious over/under speed e.g. during the approach.

The most important advantage when switching from the 320 to the 330 is the less noisy cockpit 🙂

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

Congratulations to your new rating !

Im my professional life (now retired) I have accumulated about 4 million miles - as a passenger of course - most of them on the A330. I have always enjoyed that plane. Now my favourite is the A350.

• Like 1

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320

Congratulations!  It's one of my preferred aircraft when plane spoting @ LPPT :-)

Air Portugal now has the NEO version, but I don't think crew like it that much...

Would really like to have a good simulation for it.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So jealous, I love the A330. It would be a dream to fly it. Congratulations.

• Like 1

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

Congratulations on attaining your A330 type rating!

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

10 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Congrats! 👍I'm one of the very few pilots in my company who transitioned back to short/medium range after 11 years of LR flying because I really missed the flying part.

2-3 landings a month was way too little for me to enjoy flying.

Did they ever improve the A/T on the 330? Many years ago it used to be really bad in turbulence with constant hunting and serious over/under speed e.g. during the approach.

The most important advantage when switching from the 320 to the 330 is the less noisy cockpit 🙂

Both ATHR and the autopilot have been improved greatly with what Airbus calls "autopilot robustness."

Having done the traditional 2-4 legs per day, I'm ready for a break! Although I will still end up with a few domestic trips, thankfully it wont be the crazy pace of the past.  

That's great news about the AP and A/T!  Don't get me wrong, flying LR was a great experience and I don't regret a single minute. 🙂

Edited by FDEdev

Congratulations, Bill! The A330 is a lovely looking airliner.

Clear Skies!

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 8/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, busdriver said:

Well, I passed!

Cheers,

-B

Thank goodness you did not pass out after getting the rating, study and exams are tough at any age.  But I will have tears in my Beer thinking about the joy you must have now, tears of joy, lol....  I bet the relief was worth the trials and tribulations!

John

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, busdriver said:

I'm home after a 3 day IOE trip, and excited to hold a line with international trips next month, plus 16 days off! I'll be around, and happy to answer any Airbus questions, or international (Atlantic) questions anyone may have.

Cheers,

-B

Congrats on the 330 type rating!

Question about North Atlantic Tracks (NAT) -- assume you guys use them most of the time?   I've gone transatlantic two different times with Lufthansa, and I've noticed Lufthansa seemed to fly a NAT track eastbound, but westbound it looked like they took the great circle routing instead, probably because of winds (maybe westbound was a track routing also, but it didn't look like it to me).  Have you ever seen that before, flying the NAT eastbound, but using a GPS/GC routing west?

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB