Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Honeycomb Yoke....Does it really exist?? Pre-Orders?

Mark,

Thanks you so much for that.  

I have no idea what an A/D (ac/dc??) converter is, or where I would be able to find and replace it in the Saitek yoke. Would it be a simple mod and what exactly is "resolution"   My concept is from a TV or Monitor resolution and I am guessing it has nothing to do with that.  I would also hazard a guess that it would just smooth out the pitch and roll function.

Your info is appreciated mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

In my opinion, Austin is making a mistake saying a higher resolution than 10bit=1024 steps makes a difference. The fore-aft movement of the Honeycomb yoke is about 80mm. 80mm/1024=0.08mm. I doubt your hands can position the yoke with a precision better than 0.08mm.

• Upvote 1

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

20 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Mark,

Thanks you so much for that.  

I have no idea what an A/D (ac/dc??) converter is, or where I would be able to find and replace it in the Saitek yoke. Would it be a simple mod and what exactly is "resolution"   My concept is from a TV or Monitor resolution and I am guessing it has nothing to do with that.  I would also hazard a guess that it would just smooth out the pitch and roll function.

Your info is appreciated mate

Tony

A/D is an analogue to digital converter. Something needs to read a voltage from the potentiometer and convert it to a number. A 10-bit a/d converter can resolve (tell the difference between) 1024 different positions of the potentiometer, a 12-bit one can see 4096 different positions. You can do it in the Saitek by throwing away the controller board and plugging the potentiometers into a Leo Bodnar board instead. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble though 🙂

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

7 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

Austin has also looked at the Yoko and said he will also look at the Brunner yoke. I think for the price the Honeycomb yoke will be hard to beat? Those other yokes are 4 to 5 times the cost of the Honeycomb.

Cheers

Martin

Don't overlook the Fulcrum who will also be at Cosford and demonstrating the new yoke that has hall-effect sensors and will be around double the Honeycomb. Expensive but not outrageously so. And with h-e sensors you can rest assured there are no pots to fail a few years down the line.

Will Honeycomb have a refurbishment service for their kit? That's a question worth asking of Aerosoft at Cosford but I suspect they won't know as they're just the sellers. The owner, Nicky Repenning will not be at Cosford I believe.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Don't overlook the Fulcrum who will also be at Cosford and demonstrating the new yoke that has hall-effect sensors and will be around double the Honeycomb.

But that yoke is a monstrosity!  Based on the video I have seen it is doubtful if that huge case would fit properly on my desk from correct placement at the lip then extending to the footprint of my monitor.  Then where would I store that large boxy yoke when not flying?  I use my desk for multiple purposes.

I am not so hung up on hall-effect sensors.  Been flying without them since 1982.  My current Saitek yoke is now 10 years old and doing fine.  I am nearing my 71st birthday.  Two yokes from now I doubt I will still be flying.  So at 2X the price, what is the point?  Other than hall-effect sensors?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

28 minutes ago, fppilot said:

But that yoke is a monstrosity!  Based on the video I have seen it is doubtful if that huge case would fit properly on my desk from correct placement at the lip then extending to the footprint of my monitor.  Then where would I store that large boxy yoke when not flying?  I use my desk for multiple purposes.

I am not so hung up on hall-effect sensors.  Been flying without them since 1982.  My current Saitek yoke is now 10 years old and doing fine.  I am nearing my 71st birthday.  Two yokes from now I doubt I will still be flying.  So at 2X the price, what is the point?  Other than hall-effect sensors?

The only video you have seen is probably the one that was shot at Cosford last year when the yoke was a 3D printed one. Since then the designer has reduced the size of the case quite significantly and production has started.

I see you live in the US so are unlikely to visit Cosford next month where the actual yoke and case can be viewed. As far as pots go they all fail eventually. Yes, my Saitek yoke is still running but the only time I hand fly is the first minute after take-off and then 7 miles out from landing. I'm already on my second set of Saitek throttle quadrants and no doubt in a few years they'll go as well. Hall-effect is the obvious solution as there's nothing to wear out.

The point of hall-effect sensors is they're far more accurate than pots so you get increased accuracy.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just wanted to jump in and say that the current product shots are being incorporated into the new web site so there will be something to see soon.

Don't let that early prototype size put you off. The current case is smaller than the saitek but with 8" of travel.

Anyway this thread is about honeycomb so I won't hang around as I don't want to appear to be trolling.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Hello again to you all,

MarkDH.

Again, thanks for that information.  Can I just say that I very much acknowledge the Saitek/Logitech very flimsy/cheap construction that you mention in your MOD video. however, and again, as previously stated I very firmly believe (before I carry out the mods) that the combination of your mod, Hall effect sensors and some rubber bands for the roll axis are a potential game changer for the Saitek Pro. Adding the Leo Bodnar board (for increased resolution) simply improves on all of that to my mind.  Also, bear in mind that the cost of the HE sensors (approx AUD20) ... Rubber bands (USD1) your mod USD5 (without the yoke extension) and Leo Bodnar board(USD 35????) we are not really talking about any serious financial burdens at approximately USD60 for all the mods. Depending on the results of the mods minus the yoke extension and the Leo Bodnar board, I would seriously look at the Cessna yoke with those mods as a new hardware buy as well.

General comment.

Buying the Saitek/Logitech Cessna yoke Including the throttle quadrant and/or an extra quad for twin or quad engine, and, including the above mentioned modifications, is still vastly cheaper than the honeycomb yoke and the still to come throttle quadrant combination. Again I have to mention the very cheap construction of the Cessna yoke and the throttle quadrants, but, value for money for those of us constricted by budget, it is a very, very hard combination to beat and with the mods it could last for many years.

For those lucky folks who are not financially restricted, the Honeycomb combination should be a great system to buy at around USD500 for both. Bear in mind too, that the closest competition (Yoko, Fulcrum et al) do not include any throttle quad or quads and as such take the price beyond Saitek yoke/extra throttle quad Approx USD230 + mods USD60 ... total all up price USD290.

CH Products yoke USD145 Quadrant USD134 Total all up price USD280 (No mods)

Honeycomb yoke throttle combination projected price approx USD500

Fulcrum (no Throttle?) projected price USD500 (unknown factor)

Yoko (No Throttle) approx USD1000

Of course, there are a lot of other hardware options available and at obviously varying prices, and one combo I would be interested in, would be a Saitek Cessna yoke and fsxthrottle quadrant, which would be a price of approx USD230 + approx USD300 with my desired options. Slightly more than the Honeycomb combination and maybe (without Mods) not as good as the Honeycomb.  

Being financially restricted, however, my ultimate choice, for now, is to modify my existing set up, and maybe opt for the Honeycomb combination in a few years time, particularly, if my new two Saitek USB throttle quadrants start playing up.

Another factor to bear in mind is the simple fact, that I am not talking about quality of any of these products other than the Saitek which is sadly lacking, to say the least. If I had the money to be able to do so, Saitek/Logitech would not get a look in.  I would be opting for motorised throttles and at least the Yoko or Cirrus yokes.

Regards to you all again

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

On 9/30/2019 at 2:03 AM, johnbla said:

Anyone got a date for delivery yet?. I see that it will be available in Aussie on 17 October,

Down here in Florida the shipping date of "Mid-Late Sept 2019" has passed. I think that the company is in California and so I guess they may also use a different calendar out there. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Weren't they suppose to start shipping Sept. 15? I'm still watching them with hope of a great mass market yoke but I have to wonder about this outfit. I sincerely hope you brave souls who took the leap of faith get you're product soon as I am anxious to hear some honest appraisals. Seems to me personally following these people causes a sequence of frustration.

They should be ashamed of treating customers both present and potential this way !  

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

Trade Embargo?  Staying head down while attempting to get exception?    Just a guess!  Too many documented oversees trips and exhibits for this to be a scam.  Could end up a failure, but greatly dismiss the scam concerns.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just a quick heads up ..

I have now had the opportunity to test the Honeycomb Flight Yoke and personally I think it is quite superb ...

Robust, precise, stylish and quite a few notches up on the competition 

All those lucky enough to be at the RAF Cosford Flight Simulator Show this weekend are in for a treat!  .... This is a winner !!! 

Paul ... 

• Upvote 1

Received mine today. I'll have to run it through the paces later, but first impression is that it is a lot of value. Very smooth and solid in pitch and roll. Centers superbly. Some of the switches could have some of the sharp corners rounded off a bit. The light switches are very sharp and angular, but that is a small suggestion. The only real complaint so far is that the pitch axis takes way too much force...hopefully that will relax a bit with use. As in a real plane, trim is your friend, But the force required for pitch adjustments is a pretty exaggerated...compared to the real C172 that I fly at least. Roll, on the other hand, is a bit too light, but certainly reasonable.

Chris

Aerosoft mailshot today:

Dear Aerosoft customer,

It's been a while since you’ve ordered one of the highly anticipated Honeycomb Yokes in our shop, and now it's finally done.

After a long time of waiting, we are happy to tell you that the first edition of the Yokes will be available within the next few days and you are one of the first to get our brand-new hardware. We expect to ship your pre-order by the end of this month.

Not sure quite what this means, whether they're in Customs or still on the boat. I can't imagine it would take 2 weeks to ship if they're already in an Aerosoft warehouse...

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro