Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

MegaScenery V4 for New Mexico

1 hour ago, Flamingpie said:

It was meant tongue in cheek, sorry if I offended you. I was just a bit surprised by your posts, coming from an admin and a long time simmer

You write much like I do.  Do not like to offend anyone but communications to members from around the world can be difficult.  Obviously we have a lot of members who are fans of MSFS2020 (I am one of them) and, when someone communicates something they disagree with, they get frustrated and make inciting comments (which I'm sure they did not mean to make).  I have to take a deep breath a lot of the time and move on to another topic or post because I might offend someone with what I wrote.  I don't see how our Moderating Team does so well as they weed through the many topics and posts each day.  Thanks for letting me know your comments were meant to be tongue-in-cheek and the apology. 

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Yes it did, Microsoft sent me several beta DVDs and I reported and got some bugs fixed. Just like this time anyone could apply and I was lucky enough to be accepted then.

I was fixing to say the same thing. There were several hundred simmers on the "Beta Team" and received the beta DVD's. In actual fact, I still have those DVDs here! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@n4gix I still remember the excitement of receiving a DHL cardboard sleeve from Seattle full of DVD-R! I was still using the RTM discs they provided until I switched to P3Dv4 last year. Curiously I seem to remember getting pretty good framerates on my laptop during the beta, must've been all the later addons that crippled it!

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

MegaScenery is the FS equivalent of flat earth.

I gave up on that stuff years ago.  Sorry, but the real world has 3d objects EVERYWHERE.  

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

They're welcome to compete but this doesn't look anywhere near as good as fs2020

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding. This is not meant to be competition between MSFS and Megascenery; the latter being an alternative to someone switching to MSFS, but instead update their FSX or P3D installation... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

15 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Why bother? I'm not wasting any more money on P3D.

I am inclined to agree. Other than enjoying what I already have, it seems self-defeating trying to enjoy this hobby at the same rate of enthusiasm knowing full well what we have glimpsed of the future (and how lacking current simulators are by comparison). Spending much more money on what may be quality products but would nevertheless become redundant fairly soon with the older sims does not seem to make any sense. The only incentive would be if we had more insight into what the future holds for the current simulators, but I still cannot see that massive investment of the order that has been calculated elsewhere by the user (and only covering the United States) will be a worthy competitor to even the default scenery if the current simulators adopt a similar path to Microsoft in their next iteration (and may have to in some respect?). I can't speak for P3D since it is not currently and may never be pitched at the consumer market for entertainment: that said if the Microsoft product becomes top dog and is so close to the mechanics of real flight and the environment in which it operates that it is physically certified by the authorities for professional training applications in flight schools/academies for students and perhaps even the military, anything that is currently aimed at such markets may well have to up their game to compete and continue to capture these markets. Let us not forget that the Microsoft project is very heavily staffed compared with P3D and the former is, let's face it, gathering significant media interest whereas I have little recollection of much if any attention directed at P3D (not that it is aimed at attracting significant public interest). It may even be that P3D will be wound down if it was felt that it could no longer be developed to meet and compete with the standards set by Microsoft as a professionally-approved application. ☹️

Edited by LecLightning56
  • Like 1

Possibility of autonomous use and many aircraft. That's what will leave P3D attractive for a long time.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

"MegaScenery Competing with MSFS2020? You gotta be kidding me. I have bought MegaScenery, and it's flat satellite imagery. No trees, no buildings, no nothing. Can any of you fly in such thing in 2020? "

Not all photoreal scenery is created equally.  Also, bear in mind what happened with MS last two FS releases... disaster!  While I look forward to it's latest version and hope for the best, does one think it will truly be released without hiccups let alone major issues?  This is just not an upgrade, it's a whole new platform.  Look how many years it took P3D to get to its current status.  

just sayin'

Clutch

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit