Sign in to follow this  
Flybynumbers

Gaming desktops to run fs 2020 smoothly.

13 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

This could probably handle it: Dell XPS 8930 Tower Desktop  

Dell XPS 8930 Tower Desktop - 8th Gen. Intel Core i7-8700 6-Core up to 4.60 GHz, 64GB DDR4 Memory, 8TB SATA Hard Drive, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6, DVD Burner, Windows 10 Pro, Black

The Devs have said MSFS2020 is GPU limited so I would not waste my money on that system that doesn't even have the PSU requirement (650w minimum) for a 2080ti 11mb card!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

2 minutes ago, Flybynumbers said:

LOL...so there is no website now? How does one look at and purchase a system then?

Have to ask Jetline that one.  It's a pretty big oversight on the part of whoever handles their website.  Someone will probably lose their job over it.

3 minutes ago, Flybynumbers said:

LOL...so there is no website now? How does one look at and purchase a system then?

They are answering the phone as of 10 minutes ago.

• Upvote 1

Just now, yurei said:

They are answering the phone as of 10 minutes ago.

I just called also, so it's exactly the situation I described.

I believe that internet connectivity will be real important given the scenery will be streaming. Short of that a decent i5 will suffice with a 4Gb+ video card

• Like 2

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

We have to wait for Alpha Testing opening to public. Only then we will have sufficient data to decide what works best, what doesn´t. I´m planning a new Build, but without Benchmark, I have no Idea if Ryzen or Intel will be the way to go, for example. I think it´s best if we wait until spending all our money

Alexis Mefano

28 minutes ago, Alec said:

We have to wait for Alpha Testing opening to public. Only then we will have sufficient data to decide what works best, what doesn´t. I´m planning a new Build, but without Benchmark, I have no Idea if Ryzen or Intel will be the way to go, for example. I think it´s best if we wait until spending all our money

They'll be shooting for as much of the mainstream desktop market as possible. Not just latest and greatest.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

The rumour is that Nvidia will release there new 7nm GPU codenamed 'Ampere' in H1 2020 so not much point in buying a PC now for a sim that won't be out for another year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve310002 said:

The rumour is that Nvidia will release there new 7nm GPU codenamed 'Ampere' in H1 2020 so not much point in buying a PC now for a sim that won't be out for another year.

True... don't buy now... there's no point unless you need something "now".

My educated guess is we'll see FS2020 in October 2020.

9 hours ago, steve310002 said:

Saw that rumour, NVIDIA said that the GeForce 20 series will remain the most current line throughout 2020 though. Until AMD introduce their ray-tracing solution (and make sure it works well) and manage to beat the RTX 2080 Ti in performance, they have no reason to release a new series on a new node. With 12nm yields are very high, and RDNA on 7nm is offering very little power efficiency improvements. But they could introduce similar GPUs at a better value in the meantime, so it's true that there is no reason to buy a new PC now.

From what I saw of the various coverage of the debut event, the Asobo devs said that they're not using GPU ray tracing for any of the effects. Which means that pretty much any reasonably current mid-to-high-tier graphics card ought be be just fine -- especially once more optimization is done. In other words, while the demo PCs had 2080s in them, the 1080 you might already have is still likely to have plenty of life in it since the edge in speed that the 2080 has is nice, but the ray-tracing capability isn't even in the equation for MSFS.

CPU performance is going to be the interesting side. They claim to be making it multithreaded, but aren't saying just how much. With the ongoing Intel vs AMD Ryzen competition escalating, it will be interesting to see what the best options might be.

Hopefully we can get a better insight into requirements before Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

This is just typical, saved a few bucks in preparation for the above this year and Microsoft announce this. Was seriously looking at 9900k and Nvidia 2080ti or Super GPU but now, who knows? Don't want to go overboard if there really is no need.

At 55 though, haven't been this excited by a FS announcement for many decades. Could this, finally, be the answer to all of our dreams?

• Like 1

Do you guys know a lot about building PCs? It's legitimately not that difficult. Watch a few tutorials on youtube on how to find parts, use PCPartpicker, and assemble the PC. Again, youtube has so many tutorials on PC building, and while it seems daunting to start doing it, it's honestly easy and fun. Not to mention that it is considerably cheaper to build than to buy an already prebuilt.

Now, we know that lots of the objects are going to be streamed, or at least I heard. That is something like GeForce Now which uses the cloud to play games. Then, they will jump out of their socks to try to make the game optimized for mid-performance PCs, that's for sure (or at least I really hope).

Yet still, we do not know about the specs we will need. We know that the demo machines at the preview event had 2080s, but the older graphics cards will still have plenty of juice left in them, so don't fret if you have a midline gaming rig. I would go as far to say that maybe decent gaming laptops will be able to run it.

TL:DR

Building a PC is cheaper and more fun and engaging than buying a prebuilt. Microsoft will try hard to optimize the sim as much as possible. There will be cloud streaming. We still don't know if we will need a beast PC to run the sim, which I am expecting we won't.

Good day,

Boris

Edited by mcmini
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You guys make sure to change the QoS in your routers to make FS2020 have priority over the wife and kids' traffic too.