Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Trying VR for the first time; TLDR edition

I spent the weekend trying dozens of demos/games of all types with my new delivered HP Reverb.

MY observations and views:

• Crazy, ridiculous 4 programs are needed to run 1 game.
  • Things are somewhat glitchy but mostly work ok.
  • Wires are kind of annoying; not sure weighted pack would be better?
  • More design thought for glasses wearers is needed.
  • The voice activated ‘flashlight’ feature is a god send.
  • It’s what you think it is, VR is quirky 3D with head tracking and odd touching.
  • The constant ‘looking through binoculars’ FOV is immersion detracting.
  • Uncanny valley and overall obvious fake-ness is 10x worse in VR.
  • A roller coaster game is the fastest way to get seriously nauseous.
  • Control input implementations are often far from great.
  • Any ‘cockpit’ game IS VR's bread and butter.
  • Having room space is important.
  • Visual form and function are good; VR won’t die off like earlier attempts.
  • I'm uncomfortable knowing I look dorky times infinity while playing.
  • Fun? Not yet, way too many quirks yet to overcome.
  • Interesting? YES
  • Recommend? Yes, if you have the means; experimenting, seeing, experiencing and trying is worth the price of admission.

• Upvote 3

You calls 'em ad you sees 'em Bumpy, and I appreciate that. After jumping in very early with 4K, this one technology I badly want but don't care to be an early adopter of. Sigh.... Maybe next year.

Edited by odourboy

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

The four programs to play one game is the price of wmr, unfortunately.

It's exactly that, that pushed me back to Oculus and the rift s

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

I spent the weekend trying dozens of demos/games of all types with my new delivered HP Reverb.

MY observations and views:

• Crazy, ridiculous 4 programs are needed to run 1 game.
  • Things are somewhat glitchy but mostly work ok.
  • Wires are kind of annoying; not sure weighted pack would be better?
  • More design thought for glasses wearers is needed.
  • The voice activated ‘flashlight’ feature is a god send.
  • It’s what you think it is, VR is quirky 3D with head tracking and odd touching.
  • The constant ‘looking through binoculars’ FOV is immersion detracting.
  • Uncanny valley and overall obvious fake-ness is 10x worse in VR.
  • A roller coaster game is the fastest way to get seriously nauseous.
  • Control input implementations are often far from great.
  • Any ‘cockpit’ game IS VR's bread and butter.
  • Having room space is important.
  • Visual form and function are good; VR won’t die off like earlier attempts.
  • I'm uncomfortable knowing I look dorky times infinity while playing.
  • Fun? Not yet, way too many quirks yet to overcome.
  • Interesting? YES
  • Recommend? Yes, if you have the means; experimenting, seeing, experiencing and trying is worth the price of admission.

Funny I was called a “Reverb hater” a few threads down, for pointing out the uncanny valley binocular FOV effect with the Reverb.

I even came with pics to prove it and folks were in denial and refusing to believe it.

As for WMR thats why I ditched it, way too many programs to be dependent on to run and they all need to be constantly updated.

Oculus is just much more independent quicker to jump into gameplay and has better tracking. 

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Well, after about 6 hours of test and play time, my Reverb is dead, Jim. I get continuous USB connection error codes.

One interesting thing he had me try, which I didn't think of, was to use a USB 3 connection on my laptop while the display port remained connected to my desktop computer. Still no joy.<sad> FWIW, the tech stated the USB 3 connection is mainly there for powering the HMD.

So tech support is sending me a cable first to try, if that doesn't work I'll need a new HMD assembly.

I consider HP products normally pretty good but they certainly are having Reverb issues. Shame because when it works, it is excellent.

Edited by VeryBumpy

My new cable arrived.

I first tried my Reverb with the old cable. It worked for about 10 minutes then went black with USB not connected errors.

Same thing happened with the new cable. I think this is a heat related issue; if my Reverb sits for a long time to totally cool down it will work for a little bit.

Anyway, I called tech support back, stated the new cable behaved exactly the same, got transferred to sales, they are shipping me another new one and they have already emailed me a return shipping label for the original one.

I do say the support is courteous, prompt and helpful but I made sure to tell both tech support and sales I'm not amused.

20 minutes ago, VeryBumpy said:

I do say the support is courteous, prompt and helpful but I made sure to tell both tech support and sales I'm not amused.

I would not be either.

Sorry you are having such a rocky introduction to VR!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'd advise newbies to avoid WMR.

It has its uses, but it's a much more complicated experience than you'll get with a Rift S (my current newb recommendation). With WMR, you're trading ease of use for some possible technical advantages.

So make sure you don't write off VR just because you've chosen to play on "hard" mode!

I said in another post that I use Rift S 90% and WMR (Odyssey +) 10% for flight sim (X-plane/P3D/CDS). Would be interested to know if others who have a WMR headset + an alternative actually use the WMR gear much (in practice, rather than in theory).

For example, I keep my Odyssey for night flights, but in practice I normally just end up using the Rift S anyway,

I'll also add that I do have hundreds of hours sim flying in Samsung Odyssey WMR, and that I did tend to use it over the Rift CV1 when that was my choice a year or so ago. 

• Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I'd advise newbies to avoid WMR.

It has its uses, but it's a much more complicated experience than you'll get with a Rift S (my current newb recommendation). With WMR, you're trading ease of use for some possible technical advantages.

So make sure you don't write off VR just because you've chosen to play on "hard" mode!

I said in another post that I use Rift S 90% and WMR (Odyssey +) 10% for flight sim (X-plane/P3D/CDS). Would be interested to know if others who have a WMR headset + an alternative actually use the WMR gear much (in practice, rather than in theory).

For example, I keep my Odyssey for night flights, but in practice I normally just end up using the Rift S anyway,

I'll also add that I do have hundreds of hours sim flying in Samsung Odyssey WMR, and that I did tend to use it over the Rift CV1 when that was my choice a year or so ago. 

I absolutely miss night flying in the Oddysey Plus and Cliffhouse. Thats it

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Following up...the 2nd Reverb I received works perfectly fine and I've been enjoying it 100% problem free for nearly a month now.

Few more quick notes...

• Eye glasses will and do scratch VR lens; I plan to buy prescription inserts.
  • Most online reviewers are over critical; WMR controllers work great and perfectly fine 95% of the time.
  • Lots of full games are actually kind of shallow and feel more like tech demos.
  • Dirt Rally 1 isn't really TONS better in VR; you feel disconnected, like a floaty observer when driving.
  • Xplane needs a >=2080 for VR if you want sim level gfx imo; my 1080Ti is too stuttery.
  • Everyone better hope and pray FS2020 is the most optimized and designed for VR game ever created.
  • Its a shame the 'perfect' VR hasn't been designed yet, every model has it pros and cons.

7 hours ago, VeryBumpy said:

Lots of full games are actually kind of shallow and feel more like tech demos.

As a general rule, many of the best are full regular games that have been converted.

Skyrim

Elite Dangerous

etc......

Then there are the made for vr blockbusters (mostly from Oculus)  like Lone Echo, though you will have to use revive to use them.

Consider a subscription to Viveport. I believe they are still giving away two months free.

Devons rig