Sign in to follow this  
MDFlier

And it includes the AI traffic that we all really want, too?

I just saw this on Gameinformer

In addition, Microsoft Flight Simulator has the power to track real-world flight traffic using transponder signals. “We know where every airplane is, and we actually render it in real time,” says Microsoft’s Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator. “We [also] have A.I.-driven planes, and then everything from the air-traffic controller gets a slot. The interaction between us and the real world’s traffic is kind of complicated. You have options: You can either fly with just A.I. traffic and we control everything, or you fly with just real-world traffic. And then, the really hard one is the blend. We’re still working on that! It’s hard!”

Just what I always wanted. I'm sure it will have growing pains, but nice to see that they're shooting for the moon. Maybe all of this stuff will work properly by 2025? 

• Like 3

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

The problem with real world traffic is once the transponder is turned off the traffic disappears. There are a few addons for both P3D and X-Plane that employ this system. If they can figure out a work around that would be great.

NAX669.png

34 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

And then, the really hard one is the blend

And of course, even "just real-world traffic"-mode technically still is a blend between the player plane and the real-world mirror planes, though the conflicts will be a bit less blatant than for the full mix. Still, good to have it confirmed that traditional AI traffic that can truly react to the actual in-sim conditions will make an appearance, too.

Edited by JanH

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

And then, the really hard one is the blend.

i wonder how you can even blend one's own aircraft into a slot with "just real world" traffic .... and mix with real weather diversions at current zulu.

also just last evening about YSSY, there were 4 stacks each with 3 or 4 aircraft holding off route because of a passing storm front.

for now, cheers

john martin

This is nothing new.. we heard about this already in the global even too.

I still think the easiest one, if they also provide an ATC, is an offline database with real routes so the AI planes are going to fly these, they will react to the player planes too and they will not disappear shortly after landing.

The alternative, the live traffic, requires a connection, ignores the player and in game ATC and disappears on the ground often. Plus parts is the fact it is as real as it gets when paired with real time weather too and probably also lighter on the hardware.

• Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

3 hours ago, mwilk said:

The problem with real world traffic is once the transponder is turned off the traffic disappears. There are a few addons for both P3D and X-Plane that employ this system. If they can figure out a work around that would be great.

I think the best way for this is hybrid mod, gathering data from real traffic but with some AI interaction for cases like that, separation, TO and landings... etc 

What I think they may be doing concerning real traffic interaction based on user position is the following:

Basically, on the ground, the aircraft would stop following ADSB data and would become a standard AI aircraft that would park at a gate according to AFCAD data and also yield to the user’s aircraft.  However, in the air, the aircraft would switch to following the real-World ADS-B data.  If there was a discrepancy of any sorts from the real vs. sim position (for example a delayed departure time due to the user’s aircraft), then the ai aircraft could speed up by a set (but realistic) value to catch up to the real life ADS-B ppos.

The AI traffic would also be permitted to be manipulated in the air to maintain separation for the user’s aircraft as well, again being sped up to reach the actual ppos after the conflict is gone.

Edited by ual763

2 minutes ago, ual763 said:

What I think they may be doing concerning real traffic interaction based on user position is the following:

Basically, on the ground, the aircraft would stop following ADSB data and would become a standard AI aircraft that would park at a gate according to AFCAD data and also yield to the user’s aircraft.  However, in the air, the aircraft would switch to following the real-World ADS-B data.  If there was a discrepancy of any sorts from the real vs. sim position (for example a delayed departure time due to the user’s aircraft), then the ai aircraft could speed up by a set (but realistic) value to catch up to the real life ADS-B ppos.

The AI traffic would also be permitted to be manipulated in the air to maintain separation for the user’s aircraft as well, again being sped up to reach the actual ppos after the conflict is gone.

Like I know there's a million little cases to account for and everything, but it's not the most complicated thing in the world to persist an AI-driven taxi to gate route for a plane that's based on real-world traffic after it lands. The real key is the new traffic, knowing when it's taking off, and I think you need to supplement with the hybrid model there.

From a logical perspective, it certainly seems doable.

2 hours ago, DadJokeCinema said:

when it's taking off

& landing ........ downwind.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

8 hours ago, france89 said:

This is nothing new.. we heard about this already in the global even too.

I still think the easiest one, if they also provide an ATC, is an offline database with real routes so the AI planes are going to fly these, they will react to the player planes too and they will not disappear shortly after landing.

The fact there will be 2 modes and the live mode will take the player in consideration is new, and I think it's great we can choose.

They already said they are thinking in making AI take over live traffic after landing so aircrafts will gently go to their gate after landing.

I am sure they will figure it out and we will get great traffic, at least the best we can think of with current technology.

A good addition would be a LiveATC option as it is public information in many countries.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noooch said:

The fact there will be 2 modes and the live mode will take the player in consideration is new, and I think it's great we can choose.

They already said they are thinking in making AI take over live traffic after landing so aircrafts will gently go to their gate after landing.

I am sure they will figure it out and we will get great traffic, at least the best we can think of with current technology.

Since all that has already been done on the current platforms, there is no reason why ASOBO shouldn't be able to implement it.

A good addition would be a LiveATC option as it is public information in many countries.

Be careful with the term "public information". All of those web based data sources (including FR24 and related sites) are for private access only, and funded through advertising and/or membership fees. If MS would tap into them, that would be commercial use, and that comes at a price. Looking at the price list for commercial data usage on some of those sites, buying the whole company would probably be cheaper for Microsoft.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

22 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Since all that has already been done on the current platforms, there is no reason why ASOBO shouldn't be able to implement it.

Be careful with the term "public information". All of those web based data sources (including FR24 and related sites) are for private access only, and funded through advertising and/or membership fees. If MS would tap into them, that would be commercial use, and that comes at a price. Looking at the price list for commercial data usage on some of those sites, buying the whole company would probably be cheaper for Microsoft.

Best regards

On which platform Ai take control over live traffic after landing?

If LiveTraffic is accessible via FR24 and they can use it in the sim, why would it be different for Live ATC?

26 minutes ago, Noooch said:

On which platform Ai take control over live traffic after landing?

If LiveTraffic is accessible via FR24 and they can use it in the sim, why would it be different for Live ATC?

LorbyLiveTraffic does that. And it has a mode for using live data to create classic simulator AI, literally "on the fly" (=no BGL flightplans involved).
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/558933-lorbylivetraffic-updated-to-151/

I don't think that Microsoft is using FR24. FlightRadar are not offering their data on an API, the only access is through their website. Unless MS have bought a share of FR24 of course. I have been hunting for datasources for 3 years now, and there just is no such thing as a free lunch. I fondly remember FlightAware, every single user would have to pay up to $10 per hour for the API access.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

if they can make a ai traffic  where you can import schedules and liveries  and latter you make a atc that control ai planes on landings, taxi, departures or even add weather and traffic delays  that's enough cause one of the problems with p3d and fsx is the atc and ai traffic is not well implemented so always get monotonous, like you gonna landing on the runway at same time  ai plane is taking off or AI planes departure with crazy winds

Edited by miguel88

Accurately replicating real world traffic schedules is one thing, but I get the feeling that the freeware paint guys would be needed to provide us with real world airline repaints. I doubt that Microsoft would be able to use those in a payware simulator.

• Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png