Never had my own personal VR headset, did a demo once, didn't feel right at all. I can see myself playing around with it in the future once Flight Simulator adds support for it later on.

Setting aside value. What is the best headset money can buy right now? I'll remember the manufacturer and when the time comes I'll take a look at their offerings in the future because this technology is still maturing.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Well If I was willing to spend a lot one I would have both a HP Reverb. But since I am always looking at cost I went for the Samsung Odyssey Plus. And I am very happy with it. The only note of caution I would mention is that you'll need a beast of system to make it worth while. Going from a monitor to VR with P3D will half your frame rate on the same setting. For me the Samsung Odyssey Plus was a no brainer. At $229 it a throw away item really. That was there Black Friday Price and its still that price. Makes me think its a clearance price and Samsung are going to release a next gen soon. And that in itself is a good reason to keep it real.

Ok, HP noted down. Fortunately Flight Simulator should be many times more VR capable than P3D. P3D is honestly a bit of polished excrement with all its addons. I should know, I've bought too many.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

if money dont play a role, i would get a Valve Index, for me personal the best Headset,

especialy if you like full room scale games, unbeatable tracking for this kind of games.

If you plan to just use it while sitting i would maybe get a Rift S, also a great HMD,

both Headset's above have a good Software running with good suport.

Steam VR and Oculus Software.

the Oculus software is a little better than Steam VR, tho

Pro tip: for a good VR experience you need a high end Rig,

get always the best GPU possible.

I have had the HP for 6 months and enjoying it every day with P3D. Running it on a 7700K + 2080Ti runs great with some adjustments. Have tried some now this is the one which fit best and easy to handle

https://www.737sim.dk/vr

Regards

Claus

Regards

Claus

System : Varjo Aero,  Intel i9 14900K 5,1 Ghz OC, RTX4090 24 GB, 64 GB RAM, 2 X M2 1TB, FS2020

https://claus34.wixsite.com/737sim

https://flightsim.to/profile/chansen

8 hours ago, chansen said:

I have had the HP for 6 months and enjoying it every day with P3D. Running it on a 7700K + 2080Ti runs great with some adjustments. Have tried some now this is the one which fit best and easy to handle

Regards

Claus

I have owned Oculus DK2, Oculus CV1, Oculus S and now Im using de Odyssey+ (with VR Cover)

How do you rate  the odyssey+ versus the HP Reverb ?   not taking into account the discomfort of the O+

15 hours ago, McKafre said:

I have owned Oculus DK2, Oculus CV1, Oculus S and now Im using de Odyssey+ (with VR Cover)

How do you rate  the odyssey+ versus the HP Reverb ?   not taking into account the discomfort of the O+

I currently own all four of those headsets. I rate the Rift S as the best by a fairly large margin over the others (including the O+).

Why did you decide to change from Rift S to Odyssey Plus? 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I have all the major headsets. The best I have owned is Pimax 8K+. Accordint to Sweviver 8K X is even better but it's still 3 month before it's on the market.

Index and Reverb will fight for the second place. I think Index is better overall, while Reverb excels in clarity (and only).

On 12/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, suncoastflyer said:

Setting aside value. What is the best headset money can buy right now?

The problem is there is no best.

If your mainly using it for flight sim'ing, I wouldn't want to go anything less than HP Reverb for reading and environment clarity.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, chansen said:

Regards

Claus

Dang you're running VR on P3D? How hard did you kill the settings or do you not use many addons?

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Hi Daniel

All my settings are at medium. Unsing the FlyInsinde plugin helps with smooth graphics and good FPS. All those airports i’m flying to are add-ons. Also with traffic at 40 %, Its always a trade bwt settings

Regards

Claus

System : Varjo Aero,  Intel i9 14900K 5,1 Ghz OC, RTX4090 24 GB, 64 GB RAM, 2 X M2 1TB, FS2020

https://claus34.wixsite.com/737sim

https://flightsim.to/profile/chansen

On 12/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, OzWhitey said:

I currently own all four of those headsets. I rate the Rift S as the best by a fairly large margin over the others (including the O+).

Why did you decide to change from Rift S to Odyssey Plus? 

Im quite sensible to frames per second, and in racing sims, for me, going from the 80fps of the rift to the 90fps of the O+ was a huge factor

I vote for HP Reverb too (after Rift and Odyssey). Resolution is no longer an issue with the Reverb. Although more res is always better, FOV is now the priority, so it will be interesting to see what Pimax do there as no one else is trying to do FOV. The lenses and sweet spot in the Reverb could be better but it's OK for me.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

On 12/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, VeryBumpy said:

The problem is there is no best...

I have tried HP, Vive, and Pimax 5k+

HP, Vive and all the others with low FOV look like what you might see from an old 50s style scuba diving mask.  Peripheral vision, for a pilot, is a very welcome feature. They don't have it.

With that said, the Pimax peripheral vision is not like real life either, but it certainly takes away that claustrophobic feeling I get In HP or Vive.

With that said, I find my Pimax to be a little "fuzzy".  I find myself having to lean in, or zoom in closely, to get a clear view of an instrument.  I have tried with and without my glasses and my "fuzzy" experience is identical.

All that to say this, there is one headset that I am aware of that gives you the wide FOV and a crystal clear image - the XTAL.  For about $5,000 it can be yours.  But for that price, I would go to where ever to try before I buy.

For those of us that are aging, my sons keep reminding me that VR will get there....in about the next 10 - 15 years.