Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

It is called Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS

6 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Read your own post again and then answer that question...      😏

But I have to admit, I tend to be pedantic too... 😊

Pedantic or pernickety, that is the question  😊 ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 minutes ago, domkle said:

Pedantic or pernickety, that is the question  😊 ?

Come on, it's pernickety (I had to look this up!) to differentiate between these terms... 😉

Joyeux noel, Dominique!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Come on, it's pernickety (I had to look this up!) to differentiate between these terms... 😉

Joyeux noel, Dominique!

Same to you and those dear to you, Ralf !

PS I had to  look it up too :wink:...

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Another first world problem. Wait to see what's on the box at release. That will be the name.

NAX669.png

1 hour ago, HighTowers said:

I dont see the big deal at all whatever you call it. But if you really want to get picky..... Why does Micro-soft get 2 letter MS abbreviation as if for 2 syllables yet only one S for Simu lator which is also 2 syllables. (or maybe its 3)   Been a long time since I took an English class.  

But really.. Does it matter?

People don't refer to Microsoft as "MS" because of the syllables, they refer it to "MS" because Microsoft is a one-word version of "Microcomputer Software" which is how Microsoft originally got its name.

35 minutes ago, domkle said:

The Merriam Webster defines pedantic as

2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

and gives two examples

a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly

Far worse, he was pedantic, pernickety, letting nothing inaccurate or of uncertain meaning go by—not an aphrodisiac quality.— Kingsley Amis

Who is pedantic :laugh: ? 

If you want to do the dictionary definition thing, the Cambridge English dictionary (which is closer to my spoken English given I am Australian) refers to being pedantic as:

"giving too much attention to formal rules or small details

hence, small details = affixing "2020" to the title "because it's being released in the year 2020"

🙂

We could call it (the MSFS2020) like "MSFS WON" (WON=without a number) or "MSFS TFG" (TFG=The Final Generation). All previous versions, as far as I remember, had the title "Microsoft Flightsimulator", but all had a suffix like e.g. "98, 2000, 2002, 2004 or "A Century of Flight" etc. to distinguish the versions, so why not for this new one.

I cannot remember any complaint when we called "Microsoft Flightsimulator X" just "FSX".

Siggy Schwarz

SHTF2020

the whole xbox2020/series X/flight simulator/gamepass bundle in 8 password friendly characters.

😛

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, siggy said:

We could call it (the MSFS2020) like "MSFS WON" (WON=without a number) or "MSFS TFG" (TFG=The Final Generation). All previous versions, as far as I remember, had the title "Microsoft Flightsimulator", but all had a suffix like e.g. "98, 2000, 2002, 2004 or "A Century of Flight" etc. to distinguish the versions, so why not for this new one.

I cannot remember any complaint when we called "Microsoft Flightsimulator X" just "FSX".

It Which Must Not Be Numbered 

One could make a book with this.

Dominique

Call it how you want. I call it how it was presented at E3 and still is called, MSFS. There is a clear cut in features introduced compared to the older ones which is also why i don't feel the need to add a year reference to it as well.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

persnickety, pernickety...same inebriation in a slightly different bottle.

had to look it up.

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

The FS2020 guys couldn't even get that right, as, according to their logic, the fake name should be FS2019, as that is when the game was first mentioned, and also when it first got tested. 

And they have even confused themselves by naming MSFS after an Aerofly project as well as the new Farming Sim. 

ASOBO & Microsoft must be amused and slightly irritated by thumbsucked logic by guys who don't know the difference between MSFS, FS9, FSX et al. (including a Farming Sim & an Aerofly game. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

7 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

rAnd what to do if the release will for whatever reason be delayed to 2021? Give it a new name?
Let's call it by the name the developers chose for it. The developers and the product have deserved it.
Happy XMS2019 everyone!  😊

Yes the official title is Microsoft Flight Simulator or MSFS to give it's short name. Obviously the 'MS' comes from the original blended name MicroSoft which Paul Allen came up with as one of the founding members with Bill Gates, there background being MICRO(computing) and SOFT(ware).

If you look at the original material delivered on YouTube for Microsoft Flight Simulator it quite clearly says coming 2020, so the community has used the reference for 2020 to differentiate this title from the previous Microsoft Flight Simulators which also used a year as a differentiator and prior to that it was a version number. This is understandable and makes sense to folks who commonly affiliate the Microsoft Flight Simulator name with past products to highlight this is a new title. 

I don't follow your point regarding changing the name to MSFS2021 when a new patch comes out. You said it yourself, it's the same version but updated, so the year accompanying the title unofficially bestowed by the community is in reference to the time the product was brought to market. If Microsoft Excel 2018 had a patch, then it's name doesn't change now does it?

I really don't see any issues with this. Maybe we can limit it to MSFS2020, or MSFS for shorthanded versions, I've never liked 'MFS' as that's an inaccurate reference to 'Microsoft' but a little common sense should be applied here, it really isn't that big of a deal. Overtime we'll probably just conform to MSFS I'm sure but for now the 'MSFS2020' name is also helpful.

39 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

The title is: Dovetail’s Flight Sim World presents Microsoft Flight Simulator X 2020, over a Century of Flight, $60/month Ortho4XP Scenery Edition 

Except that "Dovetail" had not one darned thing to do with MSFS!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator