Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

Here's my barn burner of a take:  If you want more P3D or XP add-ons, you should buy more of them.  If you don't, then don't.

If you're gonna keep using other sims for several more months, and think you can get your subjective money's worth out of a new add-on because of that, then why not get it?  Likewise, if you're one of those people who is basically not simming now until MSFS comes out, then buying more add-ons doesn't make a ton of sense.

As for 3PDs themselves, I think the PMDG thing of giving people a voucher towards a future MSFS version of the same aircraft, is probably gonna be the way forward to get people spending again during the wait.  But I assume a lot of 3PDs need to see the SDK before they can commit to something like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I could understand not buying new scenery.  The only external scenery I have is Neuschwanstein Castle and I think I've only visited it twice, same number as in real life.  It was freeware.  New scenery wouldn't look anything like what we've seen from MSFS.  Besides, I seldom fly the same area twice.

Obviously if you stop flying P3D/XPlane then there's no reason to buy anything for it.  While I took a 3.5 month break from P3D starting in September it had more to do with the fact that I was tired of flying at the time although there was some "MSFS effect" there as well and the Cub had been delayed.  The Cub's release got me back into flying.  I read a lot of non-aviation books in 3.5 months. 🙂

I wouldn't totally stop simming simply because of a few videos and screen shots.  I'd rather be flying.  Yeah, there are areas in the P3D world that don't look very good (butt-ugly isn't too strong a description) but those didn't stop me from flying before.

The Cub has cost me 12 cents per hour at this point.  Pretty good value for the money.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

You won’t catch me buying a single thing for XP/P3D anymore, that’s for sure.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, irrics said:

You won’t catch me buying a single thing for XP/P3D anymore, that’s for sure.

I will if it's 100% reusable in the new sim.eg I'm seriously considering the Thrustmaster TPR pedals even though they are $800 here. I have their plastic ones and they are worse than useless.

• Like 1

I was briefly looking at getting one of the two GNS 750s available but decided they didn't fit with what I wanted.  I'm still open to a really good terrain display (like the 750 maps) and a good real time airport diagram, payware is fine.  I've already got FS_FlightControl mostly for the airport diagrams which are good.

1 hour ago, Deleted said:

Here is the result of the survey on this topic.

Interesting, thanks for posting that.  It says 43% have stopped buying add-ons for their current sim, 57% haven't.  It's nice to be in the majority. 😄

1 hour ago, b737800 said:

I think I just found the 2% that said they were going to UPGRADE to P3D!

Depending on how well MSFS works for me, I could be one of the 2%. 😄  We don't know when P3Dv5 will arrive or what it will be like.  I can't imagine P3Dv5 being superior to MSFS though, but I *can* imagine it working better on my computer and internet connection.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, b737800 said:

I will if it's 100% reusable in the new sim.eg I'm seriously considering the Thrustmaster TPR pedals even though they are $800 here. I have their plastic ones and they are worse than useless.

I got my TPR a few months back and let me tell you it has been one of the best investments Ive ever made in flight sim. Im an active RW PPL and they just feel so real and solid, the action on it is straight forward and straight backward just like the real thing. 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

1 minute ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I got my TPR a few months back and let me tell you it has been one of the best investments Ive ever made in flight sim. Im an active RW PPL and they just feel so real and solid, the action on it is straight forward and straight backward just like the real thing. 

Thanks for that. If Amazon stopped changing the price every day (their lowest was always $50 higher than Thustmasters RRP) I would have already bought them. It's close to $300 on top of that for the few vendors that will ship to me as well, so we're actually closer to $900.

It will be cheaper for me to fly to Singapore to buy them there....... which I will probably end up doing. 

PS.  I bought another plane yesterday.  $50 and worth it.  Already got 9.5 hours on it.  Still $100 in the P3D aircraft budget for the year. 😄

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

If you like planes and want to play with them, then why not? Yeah there's gonna come a point where they'll start gathering dust, but when was that ever any different for anyone who's been simming for years? I just bought the Carenado ATR 72. Sure it's a P.O.S. as far as study sim realism is concerned, but I wanted an ATR 72 to play with and it was the best thing available, so I figured what the hell. Does it really matter that it'll be gathering dust pretty soon? It'll be fun while it lasts and that's all I expect of it..

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There's a new golf course being constructed just up the road and it'll be the bestest golf course in the history of golf courses. It won't be finished for another year plus a couple of more years for it to mature. In the meantime, will you stop paying green fees to play on the course that you are already a member of?

Of course not!

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

There's a new golf course being constructed just up the road and it'll be the bestest golf course in the history of golf courses. It won't be finished for another year plus a couple of more years for it to mature. In the meantime, will you stop paying green fees to play on the course that you are already a member of?

Of course not!

BUT, you can only use a new type of Ping equipment on the new course. Would you keep investing in current equipment?

2 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

BUT, you can only use a new type of Ping equipment on the new course. Would you keep investing in current equipment?

depends if  you want  to improve  your  game

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You're darn right he will.  If he stops playing he'll lose a lot of skill.  Gotta maintain proficiency.  Use it or lose it.

How does this relate to the new flight sim?  Not gonna go to any more movies or buy any more DVDs because some new movie will be released in a year?  Or because you'll be getting a new DVD player (with a new format incompatible with the old) and screen that will be SO much better than what you have now?   

I'm getting plenty of entertainment in the mean time out of my sim.  (Uh... what I MEAN to say is, I'm learning lots about flying in P3D. 😄  No really, I've learned a *lot* from the new A2A Cub.  I can't help it if it's fun to fly.)

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Does it really matter that it'll be gathering dust pretty soon? It'll be fun while it lasts and that's all I expect of it..

Exactly!

Hook

Larry Hookins

No, and I'd be lobbying them to ban pink Pringle sweaters and Rupert the Bear trousers too!

Edited by b737800