Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

2 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

How can one decide on the first question without speculating about the second? That would make the OP's question totally odd.

Eventually to me this whole thread is redundant. This already has been discussed to death in several threads here and in the P3D forum.  Everything about it has already been said. It's just stirring the pot once more. 

It's a fine line, yes...we've not been removing posts with incidental mention of general expectations that one might be better than the other, but that's as far as it's going here.  When it morphs into the same old "Tastes Great, Less Filling" arguments, that's a bridge too far.

Tastes Great Less Filling

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

We all have a tendency to speculate, or extrapolate from information spread through multiple personal opinions to come to our own. And certainly the exact same information has been given to all, but yet such a variety of conclusions and even scepticism.  None of this should influence a decision, other than your own experiences as your taste varies from my own, I like brussel sprouts, you don't.  We all know that simulators are all different, as well as an addons usefulness to individual people. Or  a hobbies impact on one's budget.  There are so many variables on making this decision, but I also know, that we all dream having it all. And there is no shame in dreaming. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, Vincent posted a well worded article to start this thread. So long as everyone sticks to sensible and non confrontational responses, I see no reason why this discussion needs to be classed as "redundant".

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

36 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

How can one decide on the first question without speculating about the second? That would make the OP's question totally odd.

I think above all that the idea is to avoid falling back into the same mistakes, namely, dx11, 12, vulkan, orbx, gamepass, xbox, IA vs no IA, photogrammetic tree, etc. ... or we already have useless pamphlets or each party will camp in its positions.  I'm not going to name anyone, but everyone can see where I'm going with this. And every time it ends badly.

Edited by azulkb

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I see no reason why this discussion needs to be classed as "redundant".

For starters, these give you 33 pages of this discussion: 

Businesses large and small learned a long time ago about the concept of consumer loyalty to name brands, even though another similar product (or services) may be just as good or sometimes better:  These brand names can become so ingrained in a persons's psyche that it's almost to the point of an obsession.

I think we have something analogous in the  flight sim community, often reaching real animosity to other simulators that are not currently using, esp. if it's a been a good number of years...   

So, everyone calm down:  If you're happy with your current sim, keep on keeping on (old 60's phrase).  If so, no one's gonna force to you install MSFS2020, or whatever it will be called...

But, should I dare say, keep an open mind?

I love the gentleman's opinion in that post. But I'm in this hobby for myself, just as you are. I'm not in the hobby for developers or you. The part that is bothersome as he feels we are putting all our faith in Microsoft to develop the all bells and whistles sim. But no mention of putting faith in 3rd party developers in porting products to the new sim. It's not that I faith in one or the other I just dont know if the new wheels I just bought will fit the new car I buy next year or say even if I'll like the new car i buy next year after a month. Nobody knows the future, so that is a good enough reason to stand pat in several persons situations as there too many unknowns from both Microsoft and 3rd party developers. And October 2020, or June 2020, is not that far away. The people that like their current car, will buy a cool nav radio for it. Others, will not. But wise companies prepare for market declines and shifts, and shouldn't beg. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You guys realize that there have been 5 pages of discussion on a topic posted by a guy who just came here to get clicks for his YouTube channel right? 

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Chris

1 hour ago, Casualcas said:

But wise companies prepare for market declines and shifts, and shouldn't beg. 

A thousand times this!

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

So, everyone calm down:  If you're happy with your current sim, keep on keeping on (old 60's phrase).  If so, no one's gonna force to you install MSFS2020, or whatever it will be called...

FOMO

Matthew S

23 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

On FSX AND FS9? Gosh! :rolleyes: You got away cheap. :ohmy:

I fibbed  its more closer to a 1000 , PS nothing stops me from downloading any good freeware though ha ha

32 minutes ago, XMAN said:

I fibbed  its more closer to a 1000 , PS nothing stops me from downloading any good freeware though ha ha

Even so, I wish I could have been more...assiduous in my purchasing endeavours. I, like many others here, dare not add up what we've spent in FSX/P3D. It borders on insanity.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Since September 2011 I've bought 14 aircraft totaling $616 and a handful of utilities totaling $281.  During that time I've spent about 5 years actively simming.  Call it $180 per year.  

If that trend continues, I'll probably spend another $180 between now and the time MSFS 2020 "SimZilla" is released.

I don't buy very much, and I tend to use what I buy a lot so I get my money's worth on everything.  If someone releases an aircraft or utility that I really want, even if I only use it for a  month before I get MSFS it'll be well worth it.

I spent quite a bit on ships (and one excellent car) for Vehicle Simulator while I was playing it.  I won't be spending any more because, well, I'm not currently playing VS.  If I start sailing again, I'll probably start buying again.

The only thing that will keep me from buying anything else for P3D is if I stop flight simming.  That happened for 4 months after the MSFS announcement, but I'm back flying again, and I still get surprised at how good P3Dv4 looks at times (even without any addon scenery)... and how primitive it looks at other times, even without any MSFS comparison.  

I won't be buying anything for FSX, no matter how good it is, because when I got my newest computer I didn't even install it.  After I got P3Dv4 I stopped flying P3Dv2.  When MSFS is released I probably won't be buying any P3D stuff, but that hasn't happened yet.  

Yeah, flying P3D is a lot like driving your old car when you have a new fancy one on order.  But that doesn't mean I'm going to abandon either in the mean time.

Hook

• Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;