CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

It's more of an add on effect than a simulator effect at this point, and probably will be in the future too. For instance, and this is just how I roll, I waited a year almost to purchase some items for my other sim's during the holiday sales. I knew that MSFS would be coming out sometime this year, assuming it stays on schedule, but I wanted these aircraft add on's for my current sim, because I figured I would enjoy them NOW! And I did and still do enjoy them. Meaning you do what makes you happy and enjoy the hobby! Also, if you want to fly a particular aircraft or own a scenery package, or other add on, that makes you happy and enjoy your current sim, and your alright with spending the money, go for it! If you don't want to spend a dime ever, or until MSFS comes out, go for it. Do what makes you happy. No one cares if you never buy MSFS, or do buy MSFS, or own every sim on the market or have spent thousands of dollars on hardware or add on's. If that is what makes you happy, it's your money, your life, your home, your computer, enjoy 🙂

I also think I understand most post like this? People are excited, bored, angry, and eventually just want the sim to be in their hands ( or not if you hate the idea ). I mean we are running out of stuff to talk about basically! Everyone enjoy whatever sim(s) you choose, and Don't Worry Be Happy. Hey that could be a song 🙂

• Like 6

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/RR2CScP
Discussion of ALL flight simulators!

I stopped flying P3D shortly after MSFS was announced.  Part of it was because the graphics looked so dated by comparison, and part because I just got tired of flying.  

A2A released the P3Dv4 version of the Piper Cub January 3 and I bought it as soon as I noticed, a day later.  Already got over 50 hours in it.

If something special comes along, and it's something I want, maybe something I have wanted for a long time, I'll buy it.  In this case, I bought the Cub even though I wasn't currently flying.  Well, I'm flying again, thanks to A2A.

Hook

• Like 7

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

People are free to do whatever they like and live with the consequences good or bad. Exercising good judgment is what its all about.😁 And that really depends on the big picture of your own story.

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Ed Patino

P3Dv4.5 hf2 - Win 10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 780T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XI Hero Z390 - CPU Intel i7-8086k 6-cores - 32GB RAM - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB - 3 x SSD x 1TB Crucial/Samsung + 1 x SSD 2TB Crucial + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD External Seagate 2TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // P3Dv4.5 hf2 & Aerofly FS 2 - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - Nvidia RTX 2070 - 2TB SSD - 2TB HDD // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

To me, this discussion is a non-sense. Things never appears and disappears so magically. To soon to know a lot of things about the upcoming simulators, MSFS included, P3D included and X-Plane included. These last two will not remain silent, for sure.

Enjoy your flying in the meantime with those excellent add-ons being released week after week for both P3D and XP.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 2

Ed Patino

P3Dv4.5 hf2 - Win 10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 780T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XI Hero Z390 - CPU Intel i7-8086k 6-cores - 32GB RAM - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB - 3 x SSD x 1TB Crucial/Samsung + 1 x SSD 2TB Crucial + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD External Seagate 2TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // P3Dv4.5 hf2 & Aerofly FS 2 - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - Nvidia RTX 2070 - 2TB SSD - 2TB HDD // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

25 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Enjoy your flying in the meantime with those excellent add-ons being released week after week

not to mention a decent enough proportion of them are not just phenomenal quality but also free.

I've not even been able to keep up with the free ones tbh (only found out orbx now have several free airports a few days ago, no idea when that happened.)

Truly a great time to be a flight simmer.

I'm getting close to fulfilling my wish list of aircraft in P3D and my wish list for scenery is not that far behind.  My XP folders are growing and that rate of expansion won't be deterred by MSFS. They will probably sit side by side on my hard drives. 

Keith Guillory

55 minutes ago, mSparks said:

not to mention a decent enough proportion of them are not just phenomenal quality but also free

Absolutely right!.

Cheers, Ed

Ed Patino

I will continue to support my favored suppliers. Trust their endeavors will continue with MSFS.  It's not as much "competition breeds success"  but instead "more minds are better than one".

Personally, I would not do without aircraft from RealAir, A2A, and Milviz; without weather engines from three different sources; without avionics from Reality XP; and interfaces to my iPad from FlightPlan.com/FlightPlanGo.  That just to name a few!  Oh.  LogEdit3 and SceneryConfigurator...  Umhhh.  Let me keep thinking......

Repaints from pros like Ron Atwood....

What was the original question???????

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 MOB; i7 4790 4.4Ghz; 16gb DDR3 2300; MSI GTX970 4gb Gaming 100ME, Coolermaster Pro 5 case, Corsair H100i

Former USAF meteorologist and ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126

There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett

3 hours ago, XMAN said:

Ive donated enough for  FSX and FS9   addons i think i blew maybe 500 $   anyway the scenery is starting to look like an old shoe , therefore im waiting FS2020  

I've probably spend $1000-$1500 annually of my flight simulators for the last 20+ years. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney ( YSSY ) living in Whitehorse, Yukon ( CYXY )

Windows 10, i7 8700K, MSI Z370 Gaming M5 Motherboard, EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe, 500GB Crucial MX200 2.5" SSD, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 750W PSU, Corsair H115i Liquid cooling, NZXT H440 Case.

I currently run 3 sims - P3Dv4.5, AFS2 and XP 11.

When MSFS 2020 was announced, I thought I would no longer spend on my existing sims - well that didn't happen, and I really enjoyed the Christmas sales.

When MSFS does arrive, I'll wipe XP 11 from my machine, and enjoy the development of the next-gen sim, as well as still fly my current favourites.

FWIW, the PMDG NGXu is now in my hangar, and I can enjoy it in both P3D and MSFS 2020. Love this concept of 'buy now, fly now, and fly next-gen too'.

Edited by ozboater
addition of 'buy now'

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

Because building a quality plugin takes years not months.

Devs working on it now are porting existing content not developing new content, so its not like their msfs2020 versions are going to magically become better than they are now.

The scenery and environment in MSFS is already light years ahead of the rest, even in its early stages. Yes they will become better. Not magically. Just a 1000 points of reference better.

P3d and X-plane will be left in the dust 6 months after 2020 is released. Enjoy your slow train to nowhere. 

31 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

...   P3d and X-plane will be left in the dust 6 months after 2020 is released. Enjoy your slow train to nowhere ...

Well, that's, ah, a ....    supercillious?   ... argument based entirely on speculation and seeming prejudice.

None of the exisiting sims will work any less well than they do now. I happen to really like the way my setup for P3Dv4.5 looks and flies, so I have no reason to get rid of it.

Also, I'd be very surprised if Lockheed-Martin hasn't been in talks with Microsoft since before the initial public announcement last year. Who is to say whether the next version of P3D is not 2020 based? This is just equal speculation.

I'm enjoying my current gen simming very much, thank you, and will also choose to simultaneously enjoy the next gen when it is released 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I am still just on FSX:SE and haven't bought any add-ons for well over a year.  If I had P3D and a newer computer, I'd likely have upgraded the PMDG NG, for example.  At this point, I've spent a lot of money on personal life stuff too.  I'm likely gonna wait until MSFS2020 announces a release date and we know more.  I will then look to building a computer that will be current and go from there.  Maybe at that point, depending on other factors, I'll purchase P3D too.  When FSX came out I was on FS9.  I had invested a lot on FS9 and frankly FSX ran poorly, didn't look so good without add-ons and I ended up shelving it.

- Chris Jefferies

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU

I have stopped buying addons for now until I have seen the full release product of MSFS. 

Like others I have spent thousands on FSX and P3D but willing to give it all up for the future of MSFS. I am very keen to see what the base/ core sim is, how detailed are the current provided aircraft such as B747-8 or A320neo. Weather the scenery is accurate world wide, so far we have only seen select locations from the promo videos.

Edited by Bear242