Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 20th, 2020 – Development/Insider Update

They can't use the photogrammetry airports because up close they just don't have sufficient geometrical or texture fidelity, plus no moving jetways, baked vehicles etc.

• Like 2

Bernard

2 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

I am pretty sure that KMIA is still work in progress. It looks like there aren't even taxiway and apron markings on the ground yet.

I can't imagine that an airport embedded in a photogrammetry area will be just generic.

Honestly? If it was me? I dont know if I would use photogrammetry at airports. That would be alot harder work removing the nasty 3d aircraft, the twisted warped jetways, patch those holes  , trying to make that match would be a nightmare in my mind, I'd rather use the satellite image base and build on top. Photogrammetry is fine for a square building at 2,500 feet, but airports have alot of appendages and you are right next to it and the resolution just wouldn't be there for us.

Edited by Casualcas
  • Like 2

The FX-6300 comes from a Twitter post that was linked in here (they had 32GB RAM though), the 8GB comes from a user in here and on Reddit, and the GTX 960 comes from a spreadsheet on Reddit (I think it has been deleted by now).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

Honestly? If it was me? I dont know if I would use photogrammetry at airports. That would be alot harder work removing the nasty 3d aircraft, the twisted warped jetways, patch those holes  , trying to make that match would be a nightmare in my mind, I'd rather use the satellite image base and build on top. Photogrammetry is fine for a square building, but airports have alot of appendages. Haha 

I didn't want to suggest that the airport will be photogrammetry as well (as viz just posted, that probably won't be possible).

I meant I expect it to be one of their 80 high detail airports because of Miami being a photogrammetry area and a simple generic airport inside that high quality surrounding would look weird.

3 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I didn't want to suggest that the airport will be photogrammetry as well (as viz just posted, that probably won't be possible).

I meant I expect it to be one of their 80 high detail airports because of Miami being a photogrammetry area and a simple generic airport inside that high quality surrounding would look weird.

Yep, missed that, thanks 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

It's probably just not finished. Miami has been featured in several videos, including the original teaser, so I'd say it's almost 100% it's one of the 80 iconic airports.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

To add to that, the oldest hardware I've seen invited to the Alpha is:

• CPU: AMD FX-6300
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 960

You might not be able to run the simulator at the highest quality settings, but it is definite that you will be able to run it.

Hell, I can't run FSX at 100% without OOM's so I can live with that! 😂

12 hours ago, Casualcas said:

I love this guy, he shares my humor. And the compare pics, I was actually going to start this weekend. Thanks for that Brother

I liked and subscribed. Looking forward to more from him. 😎👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, domkle said:

You belong to the mSparks school of measurement 😉 ?

Could be worse, I could belong in school of take everything absolutely literally to the point of pedantry, instead of understanding the use of a turn of phrase to indicate a problem with the blades of grass in that screen shot. i.e. it is not that they are tall, it is that they appear completely the wrong scale for the aircraft because of their overall size, most notably it is their width which gives this away and because of this, it makes it look like there is a medium scale RC aeroplane lain in grass, with the visual reference of full sized grass giving it away as a scale aeroplane, as is the case when one sees such a scene for real.

Sure there is much to be impressed with and like in the preview shots and videos, but this does not mean we have to blow sunshine up the developer's wazoo over everything we see, and especially if we can see there is an issue with it. One would hope they would appreciate the suggestions, because if the thing was finished, and they were happy with everything, they'd not be previewing it, they'd be selling it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Anyone who knows me knows I've been very positive about the sim from day one but I have to agree that the grass is too big in that screenshot. Will I be ridiculous like some people and say it's a shame? No way. I'm glad that it's there because we didn't get that kind of thing out of the box in previous sims but there's no denying the scale is a little off. Hopefully Asobo can sort it out. If they don't, it won't stop me from buying the sim and it won't stop my jaw from hitting the floor when I fire it up. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Wow, I wasn't able to get on the computer yesterday so I was at page 2. Lot of reading. Also a lot of back and forth.

For what it's worth, undulations are similar to an elongated or intermittent  sine wave whereas a slope is either upward or downward. They aren't remotely the same thing.

You cannot have undulated runways because of the damage they would cause to landing gear. Sloped runways are due to terrain and occur in certain areas, Lukla and Corcheval being prime examples.

Taxiways, ramps, and runways are designed as flat as possible to protect the aircraft. Granted, you might have sloped taxiway exits due to the fact that another design element of runways is that they are designed as best as they can to drain.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

3 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Anyone who knows me knows I've been very positive about the sim from day one but I have to agree that the grass is too big in that screenshot. Will I be ridiculous like some people and say it's a shame? No way. I'm glad that it's there because we didn't get that kind of thing out of the box in previous sims but there's no denying the scale is a little off. Hopefully Asobo can sort it out. If they don't, it won't stop me from buying the sim and it won't stop my jaw from hitting the floor when I fire it up. 

Yup, I completely agree with you. It's certainly not the end of the world, not by a long shot, and it won't annoy me terribly if it remains that way. But I'll tell you what does annoy me - and please understand that this comment is not directed at you - it is when forum members start jumping all over anyone on a thread such as this one, simply because they don't praise everything to the skies and dare to point out when there is clearly something visually amiss. That was why I commented on it too, because it was a fair point, only to have someone start laying into to me as well, as though I've committed some cardinal sin in not simply saying everything looks brilliant and flawless.

It's called constructive criticism folks, and it is intended to help improve things. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Could be worse, I could belong in school of take everything absolutely literally to the point of pedantry, instead of understanding the use of a turn of phrase to indicate a problem with the blades of grass in that screen shot. i.e. it is not that they are tall, it is that they appear completely the wrong scale for the aircraft because of their overall size, most notably it is their width which gives this away and because of this, it makes it look like there is a medium scale RC aeroplane lain in grass, with the visual reference of full sized grass giving it away as a scale aeroplane, as is the case when one sees such a scene for real.

You see them oversized, I don't.  If you compare their width with for instance the width of the flag pole, they are more or less OK.

And, no, I didn't like your turn of phrase 😋 This forum has already its share of polemical hyperboles IMHO.

this does not mean we have to blow sunshine up the developer's wazoo over everything we see, and especially if we can see there is an issue with it.  

I am not sure that has anything to do with our discussion but in any case I  agree with you here. 

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Will I be ridiculous like some people and say it's a shame? No way. I'm glad that it's there because we didn't get that kind of thing out of the box in previous sims but there's no denying the scale is a little off.  

I am not a particular fan of this grass BTW. Lack of variety in size and shape. Making convincing grass seems easy , it is not. And I would agree that they should work theirs a bit more.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I agree that the grass could receive some improvement.

It's true that grass in the tropics is larger, but still I think the grass is too thick in that shot. The overall appearance just seems wrong to me.

And I remember an earlier shot from Courchevel that showed a similar large and thick grass next to the runway which certainly is not appropriate for that region.

So indeed, more variety in size and shape would be nice.

• Like 2