Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

Huh? The airlines aren't making the Level D sims. Companies like Singer/Link make them. The airlines just buy them. It's still a 3rd party situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eslader said:

Huh? The airlines aren't making the Level D sims. Companies like Singer/Link make them. The airlines just buy them. It's still a 3rd party situation.

Most excellent point.  Do you think there may be a difference between a third party like PMDG and a third party like Singer Link? 😄  Does PMDG make full cockpit solutions?  Did FS9 have any aircraft that were the fidelity of PMDG?  

Singer, huh?  That conjures up interesting images.  I'm gonna have to research the company a bit.  Thanks.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

10 hours ago, LHookins said:

Do you think there may be a difference between a third party like PMDG and a third party like Singer Link?

Of course there is, but that has nothing to do with your idea that airlines aren't using P3d/FSX because they want complete control.

Airlines aren't using P3d because unlike us, they have billions of dollars to throw at better sims, and better sims get better results. That should not be interpreted to mean that there is no training value whatsoever with P3d, or that PMDG products are low quality.

BTW there's at least one airline that does, or at least did, do some training on FSX - Buffalo in Canada. They use(d) it to get pilots familiar with timing and what proper setups (landing, etc) should look like. Unsurprisingly, they can't afford a level-D sim, and even if they could, there aren't exactly a whole lot of level-D DC-3 sims out there.

Edited by eslader

16 hours ago, LHookins said:

Does PMDG make full cockpit solutions?  Did FS9 have any aircraft that were the fidelity of PMDG?  

Not sure but iFLy does and the FS9 iFly 737 was as good or better then the NGX - and some say still is. When I tried out FSX and mostly use it now, i STILL prefer the iFLy NG.

Not so much their 747, but a quick search reveals some real pilots who say there isn't any difference. Hey, FS9 has some of the all time great add-ons that aren't available on the other 'newer' sims. Nothing wrong with staying as I don't feel FSX or P3D progressed very far at all.

In time we'll see though a major step with MSFS2020 that will make all previous sims redundant. Byt a good ol country mile. 

12 hours ago, eslader said:

BTW there's at least one airline that does, or at least did, do some training on FSX - Buffalo in Canada. They use(d) it to get pilots familiar with timing and what proper setups (landing, etc) should look like. Unsurprisingly, they can't afford a level-D sim, and even if they could, there aren't exactly a whole lot of level-D DC-3 sims out there.

I want one of whatever Buffalo was using for their familiarization.  I do love me some DC-3, currently using the Manfred Jahn C-47.  I wonder how long before we get a native MSFS DC-3.

Buffalo wouldn't need to buy a level-D DC-3 sim if they can rent time on one.  If one even exists.  Not that it's needed for a DC-3.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

7 hours ago, Doug47 said:

Not sure but iFLy does and the FS9 iFly 737 was as good or better then the NGX - and some say still is. When I tried out FSX and mostly use it now, i STILL prefer the iFLy NG.

I was asking specifically about FS9.  

Larry Hookins

On 3/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, LHookins said:

It is so the airlines have complete and total control over what the simulator does.  It's not like they could trust a third party (like PMDG) to get everything exactly the way they want it.  That being said there are real world airline pilots using FSX/P3D to practice procedures, it's just not "official".  

Hook

On the XP side there are most notably Flightdeck2Sim and V1, who are RL Boeing / Airbus pilots, streaming on Youtube.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

21 hours ago, LHookins said:

L...there was an FS9 version of PMDG's MD-11.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

21 hours ago, LHookins said:

I did mention though some FS9 versions. Either way though, all moot because everything before MSFS2020 wont be considered even a moderate standard for flight simulation . 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, LHookins said:

I want one of whatever Buffalo was using for their familiarization.  I do love me some DC-3, currently using the Manfred Jahn C-47. 

It was only shown in brief cuts in that old Ice Pilots show, but if I had to guess, that's what they were using. There's even a Buffalo livery available for it. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 6:07 AM, eslader said:

Airlines aren't using P3d because unlike us, they have billions of dollars to throw at better sims, and better sims get better results

Airlines may or may not be using P3D, but Redbird Flight Simulations use P3D for some of their FAA certified sims.

https://simulators.redbirdflight.com/products/td2

On 3/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, LHookins said:

I want one of whatever Buffalo was using for their familiarization.  I do love me some DC-3, currently using the Manfred Jahn C-47.  I wonder how long before we get a native MSFS DC-3.

Buffalo wouldn't need to buy a level-D DC-3 sim if they can rent time on one.  If one even exists.  Not that it's needed for a DC-3.  

Hook

That C-47 is excellent, I have it in FSX. It's the one reason I'll keep FSX installed, waiting until there is a decent DC-3 in MSFS2020.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, W2DR said:

Not me. I'm more into procedures and flight dynamics than eye candy...........

How do you know it won't have those too?

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Never revisit old loves.

After a few weeks playing another game and doing a lot of gardening, today I fired up P3D and tried to fly from two of the airports shown in the last update : Villa O'Higgins in Chile (with Global+Vector+OpenLC South America+Pilot's mesh) and Skardu in Pakistan (Global+Vector+ST LC Asia+Pilot's mesh). 

Ugly. I couldn't and gave up. I really think about uninstalling P3D... 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

53 minutes ago, domkle said:

Never revisit old loves.

After a few weeks playing another game <snip>

Ugly. I couldn't and gave up. I really think about uninstalling P3D... 

That's because you were directly comparing the two sims.  There are a lot of areas in P3D that don't look very good.  Butt-ugly is the term that comes to mind.  There are a lot of areas that look very good indeed and you might not realize you were in P3D instead of MSFS.

P3D looks better than Vehicle Simulator in any case. 😄

I learned about revisiting lost loves one day when I fired up Chuck Yeager's Air Combat long after I'd moved on.  After flying some years in WarBirds I couldn't believe I'd ever liked the filled polygons of CYAC.

Note:  Still flying P3Dv4.5 with the new A2A P-40, available at no cost these days.  After that experience I suspect WarBirds would look like CYAC. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins