Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@domkle I'm confused. You say you agree with me and in the next sentence tell me I shouldn't tell you what to write. So which camp are you in? Keeping topics relevant to the title or allowing a free for all? I'm just trying to help the mods.

This debate about a game or a sim has gone on for ages. It doesn't need starting again. And I haven't a clue what TYVM means. Please write these things in full.

I hate myself to have confused you, Ray😉. I am with you to say that its an absurd distinction and a wornout debate.  I made a post  earlier in the same spirit. And I think the topic was raised, in this thread, with a malicious intent. An affirmation without any base, just to plant the doubt. BTW, I follow this thread attentively to see whether you'll get an answer to your question about the SDK. 

I don't belong to any camp. I try to be positive, moderate and open-eyed. I am with you to call out a wrong debate. I don't agree with you when you tell us, poor simmers (sinners 😋?)  what to write.  Too many people in these days to tell what one should or shouldn't say, write, think. It is a knee-jerk reaction with me, I don't like it. TYVM is Thank You Very Much.

I should have added a smiley in the whole thing, my mystake, as I wrote it mostly  tongue-in-cheek. 

PS domkle is the moniker, Dominique is the name. Both are OK; I tend to prefer the latter.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

48 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

First time I've seen that abbreviated. Thanks usually suffices. Thanks Brandon.

English is not my native language, and thus I defer to the experts to have the final word. Should I add  that I mostly learned it through American medias (Mad Magazine 😁 when I was a youngster !) and then the environment (including sitcoms 😁) and people when I lived in the US.

My take is that 'Thank You Very Much' while stressing the 'Very Much' or as the Internet (no vocalization) puts it TYVM is an ironic thank you.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Hi Dominique,

Firstly, your English is excellent. Second, we agree that thread drift is annoying. Thirdly, we agree that this discussion between ourselves is not inflammatory.

Good, we agree on almost everything and yes, I also look foward to @Rob_Ainscough clarifying his comment.

I wasn't telling people what they should say. I was asking them to remain on topic. There is a subtle difference which I accept may be lost because English is not your first language. 👍:wink:

And as the French may say... Fin. :smile:

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Doninique,

Firstly, your English is excellent. Second, we agree that thread drift is annoying. Thirdly, we agree that this discussion between ourselves is not inflammatory.

Good, we agree on almost everything and yes, I also look foward to @Rob_Ainscough clarifying his comment.

I wasn't telling people what they should say. I was asking them to remain on topic. There is a subtle difference which I accept may be lost because English is not your first language. 👍:wink:

And as the French may say... Fin. :smile:

I wouldn't say 'fin', rather a Frenglish "clap de fin"😋… Like at the end of a movie take.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

I will not use FS2020, even though I'd been using FSX until last December.

First reason is, that I wanted to get rid of need to clutter my new Linux PC with windows dual boot.

The 2nd reason is, that according to some sources (and I quite expect that, but I don't know what's true and how the final product will be managed), the FS2020 sale model will change in order to bring more revenue, not that you'd by the simulator once. They also speak about cloud computing a lot. So I expect that it might be based on continuous fees, like other MS products already are these days. This was a deciding factor for me not to wait even for evaluation of FS2020.

The most important reason, though, is I am very happy about my switch to X-Plane 11 for principal reasons. XP11 gives me a huge boost over FSX, allowing to use the new HW to the limits (while FSX is hugely limited by 32b technology). And as for graphics, it gets in many ways as good as it gets - with detailed world mesh, orthophoto realistic terrain, realistic weather, great support of my HOTAS, add-on airports and if you wish, payware airports and other stuff. And while someone can keep more flight sims (surprisingly), I really have no time for that and with a bit of exaggeration, I can only switch sim every 10 years.

Not everything is pink of course, i.e. there's really no reasonable ATC for Linux/Mac versions of XP11. The old FSX default ATC beats all alternatives by large margin and that's on the lower end of ATC products range. So much desperate the situation is, that I'm thinking of enhancing my Python and starting a develpoment of ATC project on my own. But XP developers are working on a new ATC, so that might change a game.

FS will always be easier product (and thus 1st choice for many people). But I love most differences of XP11, which is very reliable and versatile product. Also to be noted, XP11 really simulates a lot of characteristics, including airflow. So if a part of wing fells off your aircraft, in FS (probably in future too) it will fly the same way, but in XP11 it will fly as an airplane with part of wing lost. If you add an external tank, it will behave like you have external tank attached. If one flap will fail to extend, it will fly like an airplane with only other flaps extend. Same with air density, clouds, shifting center of balance, etc. If you are increasing take off roll power, it will react accordingly and try to wear off the center line as the real plane. Well, that's the theory at least, but I'm surprised how all this works well in XP11 in reality. I can imagine how it works in FS, where I'd expect they have kind of reverse-engineering approach and they model functions for each aircraft to react on some input data, such as weight, center of balance, perhaps altitude, etc. Of course, if parametric modeling is well done, user will see no difference, but it's more likely that airplane addons developed by 3rd parties will have much worse flight model than the 1st hand. I've done such characteristic modelling (in different application) many times.

I'm very happy that I can sim in 4K in photo realistic scenery and weather, realistic aircraft and procedures. I don't think I'd gain something from FS2020 that would really improve my experience, apart from the ATC.

So good luck to everyone what ever choice he/she makes 🙂

Answered.

Edited by IanHarrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 minutes ago, ILSFREAK said:

At Ray, it is DOMINIQUE:smile:

Corrected, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am still not thinking about the new MFS at this stage. I now have complete coverage of the UK with ORBx TrueEarth GB photoscenery and autogen, and it looks really good. I am quite happy enjoying short flights around this detailed scenery region (and also FlyTampa Amsterdam/TrueEarth Netherlands, FlyTampa Copenhagen, and FlyTampa Corfu) in my PMDG 737-600 and 777F.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

23 hours ago, Doug47 said:

Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators to a game? 

Not sure how anyone can fail to see what something *is* based on what it is *labelled.*

Pirsig would disapprove.

2 minutes ago, eslader said:

Not sure how anyone can fail to see what something *is* based on what it is *labelled.*

Pirsig would disapprove.

oh, I think there’s been some confusion. I was merely casually passing on the thoughts of avsims P3D representative and his factual opinion.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

. I was merely casually passing on the thoughts of avsims P3D representative and his factual opinion.  

Who 😂 ?  

Dominique

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Keeping topics relevant to the title or allowing a free for all? I'm just trying to help the mods.

Do the mods enforce keeping threads on topic?  From what I have seen they don't seem to care, or it is not their policy.  It certainly seems rare if they do.  And mods have made off topic comments in this very thread.

I have posted off topic comments, but they were on topic of what everyone was talking about.  I can keep to the topic, if everyone else can, and mods enforce it.  But if a thread is going on and on with a new topic, then I might join in.

@GlideBy, judgement probably comes into topic control. If discussion goes off topic for a few posts no one will be bothered by that. But some old favourites do return (like whether it’s a game or sim) and it was really out of respect for the original post I asked for posts to be on topic.

If a topic is interesting it does become irritating if it drifts. Everyone including me has posted off topic but if they then realise that then stop no real harm is done.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If a topic is interesting it does become irritating if it drifts.

I wish the mods did enforce staying on topic.  But it is what it is.  

It also makes it hard to go back and find a comment, as things can be anywhere.

• Upvote 1