Yeah, Steve, good stuff all this is...!

And, I can understand about, "...I need a new plane like I need another day working remotely..."

But, as I'd once pointed out (to you), it's good to see you dedicated painters, finding time, to be "out" really flying in the SIM once in a while...🙂...

And, about the Short models, I'd got the Carenado S330 (not the S360) very recently, and did a post/story on it (just before the BN2 one), folks had provided some interesting comments there, in fact, Mark had made a remark in my S330 post, about BN2, which made me rethink my long-time interest in this plane...If you haven't, please take a look at my S330 post, you might just enjoy it, since they (I mean those boxy shapes...!), you said, do catch your interest, but, of course, you didn't buy them...proud non-owner i.e....🙂...

Anyway, back to BN2:
Thanks for the note, here, about my BN2 post...
I'd looked very hard for the G-AXUD (paint) for my post, but had not found it...in never existed...
So, let's see what Mark and I can do help with your this exercise...the final may not be "decked out" perfectly in winning colors...but at least it should be surely close enough...for SIM...!

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

Like every airframe I paint....I'm starting to get attached to this little guy

Ditto. I was recently asked to do a couple of Carebeo C170Bs. They didn't look too difficult (will I never learn?) so I agreed. In the end I loved the little crittur. :smile:

I'm now in the throes of the Aero Commander 500 and I'm feeling the lurve.

What I really meant to mention was tell them about the art of the half pixel and how to make 'the join' disappear. :biggrin:

Sorry to butt in to your thread...🙏

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

56 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Ditto. I was recently asked to do a couple of Carebeo C170Bs. They didn't look too difficult (will I never learn?) so I agreed. In the end I loved the little crittur. :smile:

I'm now in the throes of the Aero Commander 500 and I'm feeling the lurve.

What I really meant to mention was tell them about the art of the half pixel and how to make 'the join' disappear. :biggrin:

Sorry to butt in to your thread...🙏

Mr. Attwood....A fellow long-time painter is always welcome!!

I almost pulled the trigger on all the Commanders as I love the model's lines, history, and I used to work a ramp with a Turbo Commander and have given it the "Garrett Salute" many times.  Not to mention the airshow legend Mr. Bob Hoover flew one.  I count myself lucky to have seen him in an actual show....YouTube vids do not do his show justice. I digress.. but one thing you don't get on YouTube is the sound the plane makes when it slips by airshow center when he is in his final maneuver.  The "whooooooosh" sound of a large twin zipping by you at great speed and no running engines is a sound that can never be properly replicate on a computer. Anyway....love the Commander but resisted the current sale...taking no bets on if a Commander (or 2) will be in my hangar at the next sale. 😉

Hehe don't get me started about the half pixel and join lines.  But you can talk Commander here all day long. 🙂 

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

28 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

But you can talk Commander here all day long. 🙂 

It's on 50% off at the moment. Well worth having, although the cockpit may make you want to throw up! Dreadful state for such a beautiful plane.  The engine sounds are pretty good too.

2 hours ago, P_7878 said:

Yeah, Steve, good stuff all this is...!

And, I can understand about, "...I need a new plane like I need another day working remotely..."

But, as I'd once pointed out (to you), it's good to see you dedicated painters, finding time, to be "out" really flying in the SIM once in a while...🙂...

And, about the Short models, I'd got the Carenado S330 (not the S360) very recently, and did a post/story on it (just before the BN2 one), folks had provided some interesting comments there, in fact, Mark had made a remark in my S330 post, about BN2, which made me rethink my long-time interest in this plane...If you haven't, please take a look at my S330 post, you might just enjoy it, since they (I mean those boxy shapes...!), you said, do catch your interest, but, of course, you didn't buy them...proud non-owner i.e....🙂...

Anyway, back to BN2:
Thanks for the note, here, about my BN2 post...
I'd looked very hard for the G-AXUD (paint) for my post, but had not found it...in never existed...
So, let's see what Mark and I can do help with your this exercise...the final may not be "decked out" perfectly in winning colors...but at least it should be surely close enough...for SIM...!

I saw your post on the Shorts....brilliant once again.

We'll get the little BN2 properly dressed for her future flights in our virtual world...close enough as close as we can get it. 😉

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve (and Mark):

Regarding Steve's quintessential remark:
"I can clearly see the "Aerial tours of Papua New Guinea" in the blue stripe...but can't make out the cursive text just before it.  and the other smaller text....in the famous words of a New Yoker...."Fo-getta 'bout it!"..."

I did some searching around...it's quite hard to come by additional photographs of the "winner" uniform....(some could be likely available in book-forms on Aviation History in Australia)...In fact, one of the best pictures, found, is the one Mark has found already....but, here, I contribute/venture a "guess" for, at least, the illegible cursive text to the left of the "Aerial tours of Papua New Guinea" text...

Here it is, "OWNERS" - w/o the quotes - all capital - and there is that wavy underscore below "OWNERS"...What do you think? It's an Eye-Tester for sure...! Please proceed if you agree....!

[And, for the smaller text, below this line...I see no option, but to give up, at least, for now, but, we can certainly think of adding them later, Steve, if we come across this text, in future...]

I deduce my reasoning because of the following findings:

The owner of Aerial Tours (of PNG), Denis Douglas, was so impressed with the BN2, that he had gone to England with his accountant and chief engineer Ray Shaw to take a look and they ordered 10 of them. He was really the lead among the "owners" of the BN2 aircraft that was entered into the race, and flown by Buxton and Bright...to victory...

BTW, another related piece of history, here, (not helpful to your paint-job, though, unfortunately, Steve): Denis Douglas's company ‘Aerial Tours Ltd’ was renamed "Douglas Airways Ltd" at Independence in 1975. And, G-AXUD was later registered VH-ATZ and became P2-ATZ when that country became independent. Here, below, is a hint for looking up a photograph of P2-ATZ (it's the same BN2; C/n = 132), and it was (likely) this P2-ATZ (livery), that would, eventually, crash in Kokoda, in 1988....

Please search for "Aircraft Photo of P2-ATZ". And, notice the "DOUGLAS" name on the tail of it...name of the (lead) owner...

Indeed, strange twist of events...all these...more than what I/we had bargained for when this story had started...but a compelling set of events, nonetheless...!

Now, on to, Mark's next hop, in the BN2, from Vienna...to XYZ (Athens??)...!!

[Mark: Whenever, you get to do the next, please keep track of 20 pictures per post....thanks...]

Edited by P_7878

Sorry, I've not been on my PC for a couple of days... Investigating the BP logo etc. now..

Ron, no problem with you butting into this thread, sir!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

A difficult one this.. :wacko:

As far as the BP sticker, it seems to resemble the inked stamp at the top centre of this commemorative cover... 

https://www.a-e-g.org.uk/uploads/4/6/8/5/46853661/24-32322-2_orig.jpg

My google-fu is failing..

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 4/4/2020 at 1:06 PM, HighBypass said:

A difficult one this.. :wacko:

As far as the BP sticker, it seems to resemble the inked stamp at the top centre of this commemorative cover... 

https://www.a-e-g.org.uk/uploads/4/6/8/5/46853661/24-32322-2_orig.jpg

My google-fu is failing..

Hey Mark....the BP logo looks close but there seems to be a lot more tiny, multi-row text on the bottom half of the BP on the BN2's version....keep looking for more pics (its like a scavenger hunt, hehe) and in the mean time I'll see if I can fake one to look "good enough" 😉

Work on her has been slow....it's been crazy at work (being in the healthcare industry)...and I'm pretty beat at the end of the day after writing code to help the clinicians focus on COVID19.  Hard to look at the screen any more after many hours of that, to be painting....but I chip away at it when i can.

Here is a small update...got the stripes sorted in the back, and the lettering is shaping up slowly....

P2wkRE.jpg

Keep safe everyone!  This pandemic is real, and deadly.  For those who have not heard...Chewwy just lost "Papa Chewwy" to COVID19. May he rest in peace my friend. 😞 

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve,

You may have offered to carry out the repaint, but IN NO WAY am I going to pressurise you to complete it. Heck, normal real life can get in the way of little first world projects, let alone the current chaos! 

Take care.

Mark Robinson

45 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Steve,

You may have offered to carry out the repaint, but IN NO WAY am I going to pressurise you to complete it. Heck, normal real life can get in the way of little first world projects, let alone the current chaos! 

Take care.

Thanks Mark!

I rarely get the sense from 99% of simmers to feel pressured to finish a paint.  In fact my own, internal sense of "getting the job done" is usually enough in itself to give me any extra "push" i may need to wrap it up and get it published. 😁

Given my history of producing paints at a rapid pace, some may feel that I'm not producing up to my normal rate.  In fact that is true for a myriad of reasons, and I make no apologies for it.  In fact I tout myself as a "retired" painter, hehe.  

Regardless of any of that, I usually try to inform folks waiting on a paint the various reasons (if they are not obvious), as a common courtesy...and in no way trying to justify why progress is slow. 🙂 

I agree this is such a "first world" problem in light of the current situation in the world...and I thank you for recognizing that as I've always felt that the complaining done in this community over such trivial things is in fact....trivial.  🙂

Anyway....I know simming for us is an escape from reality, and that, I feel, is a necessary part of this chaos, so I do put credence into our 1st world problem in that it can be a slight remedy for folks who deal with real life crisis' when they exit the sim world.  Doing my part to make the sim world a better escape. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve:

You're doing great...under the circumstances.....yes, this thing is knocking on the door literally...!

So, feel (absolutely) no pressure, here...please do this at your own pace, and most importantly, stay safe...!

[BTW, I noticed...thanks for squeezing the (tiny) letters "OWNERS" in there...not sure, how you managed it, on your "palette"...!]

Working on the wings for a bit...stripes are on...need to adjust the wrap around the engine nacelle.

AxEG5W.jpg

Even got the 72 on right on the 1st try! (most of the time its either mirrored or flipped...it's straight up on this model...a breath of fresh air for a painter!!!) 🙂

Will need to tweak the final location and size....but pretty proud of myself for a 1st attempt (trust me....not the norm when you're adding text and not sure how the modeler has orientated the parts on the maps!)ToS41m.jpg

Break over....back to work (hopping in a planning meeting for COVID19...a daily occurrence at my healthcare system)...was a nice break from reality! 🙂

Anyone know or want to guess if the registration is on the top/bottom of the wing?  Can't see it in the pics

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

On a British registered aircraft the number will be under the port wing.

26 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

when you're adding text and not sure how the modeler has orientated the parts on the maps!)

I love when people ask if I could 'just' put a different registration number on. More often than not a lot of skew, perspective and warp are involved, 'just' to make it look straight! :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

On a British registered aircraft the number will be under the port wing.

I love when people ask if I could 'just' put a different registration number on. More often than not a lot of skew, perspective and warp are involved, 'just' to make it look straight! :biggrin:

I hear ya Ron.....especially If its a Carenado paint...that Reg could span over 3 texture maps and 4 compound boundary joins 😫

This little plane is not bad at all....except the nose if you're pulling stripes across it.

As far as the wing reg...I figured as much but having no pics to confirm its exact location and size, I'll have to "wing" it. (LOL....pun FULLY intended!) 🤣

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg