Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

P3D v4.5 vs P3D v5 - Side by Side

P3D v4.5 vs P3D v5 (Beta) - Side by Side Performance Benchmark by Jordan King

Edited by penta_a
  • Like 2

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

There do not appear to be any cloud shadows in the P3Dv5 side of the screen, so I am assuming that TrueSky is enabled. That being the case, how much of a difference would this make to framerates?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's nice to see that the Duke is going to work.

It's nice to see that the hazy look has been removed.

Performance is up but not by as much as I hoped.

Reading and watching carefully. So far there's much more negative than positive. I'm starting to conclude that this was a rushed version. Maybe they wanted to get users because they are staying at home?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

It's nice to see that the Duke is going to work.

It's nice to see that the hazy look has been removed.

Performance is up but not by as much as I hoped.

Reading and watching carefully. So far there's much more negative than positive. I'm starting to conclude that this was a rushed version. Maybe they wanted to get users because they are staying at home?

I see about a 33 percent boost to FPS.   I've been reading too...and have decided to pass. Just downloaded and installed v4.5 hotfix 3.   That will carry me over the months, until MSFS20 is RTM'   Nuff said...:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

How to install it correctly? Replacement Client?

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

here do not appear to be any cloud shadows in the P3Dv5 side of the screen

There is definitely an overcast shadow.  It's very subtle, but it is there.

16 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I see about a 33 percent boost to FPS.   I've been reading too...and have decided to pass. Just downloaded and installed v4.5 hotfix 3.   That will carry me over the months, until MSFS20 is RTM'   Nuff said...:(

I'm with you there. v4.5 isn't performing particularly poorly for me. The performance gains in v5 are certainly welcome, but the new atmospherics option was what had me most intrigued. I'm disappointed by what I've seen. Lighting of the clouds does look really good. They way they represent haze looks so much more accurate. The biggest disappointment is that though volumetric, there is still no true sense of entering and exiting a cloud. It just sort of fades to dense haze and out again. Hopefully they will continue to improve that feature. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris

37 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

How to install it correctly? Replacement Client?

Yeah, I downloaded the whole full zip...then transferred that to my desktop. I then un-installed (this is important!) the prior client version, and then installed the hotfix3.  Simple as pie.  I'd suggest downloading the full install zip, so you do have it on your back-up system, just in case...

14 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I'm with you there. v4.5 isn't performing particularly poorly for me. The performance gains in v5 are certainly welcome, but the new atmospherics option was what had me most intrigued. I'm disappointed by what I've seen. Lighting of the clouds does look really good. They way they represent haze looks so much more accurate. The biggest disappointment is that though volumetric, there is still no true sense of entering and exiting a cloud. It just sort of fades to dense haze and out again. Hopefully they will continue to improve that feature. 

Sounds like on the 'ground floor' you are happy with v5. That's cool to read!  So...I guess..enjoy what you are enjoying at this moment..., and hopefully L.M. will perk it up along the sub-v-pathway.  But the flaws you see, don't sound 'fatal' to you. Good go!

Moderate performance gains, barely improved visuals, no idea how things are going to perform once all addons are installed, high vram usage, ctds

....the shine is off of P3Dv.5 just a few hours after release. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Sounds like on the 'ground floor' you are happy with v5. That's cool to read!  So...I guess..enjoy what you are enjoying at this moment..., and hopefully L.M. will perk it up along the sub-v-pathway.  But the flaws you see, don't sound 'fatal' to you. Good go!

No, I'm sitting out v5 for now on the promise that MSFS will live up to the hype. I'm basing my opinions on other's experience and video's/live streams so far. If MSFS turns out to be less revolutionary that it appears, I may revisit v5. But for now I'll sit tight.

Chris

P3D 5 runs waaay better on my PC, nearly twice the FPS 4 could manage. Took a bit of tweaking to make the colours look how I wanted, but it's vastly superior to the preceding version.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OK, the performance of P3Dv5 is better which I expected as it uses a DX12 rendering engine.

Other than that I see no benefit. The darker v4 shading can easily be corrected by using HDR lighting and increasing the brightness, or by using different shaders.

Perhaps with time P3Dv5 will be fixed and will be worth the cost, time, and effort, but not right now.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Turn off cloud shadows in V4 before doing a comparison. Cloud shadows are notorious for significantly decreasing performance atleast on my side they are so no wonder performance is much better in V5 without the cloud shadows enabled.

I’ve seen cloud shadows in V5 with the new clouds enabled, they’re usually just giant blobs.