Sign in to follow this  
Hauer

Virus warning when updating Calvi St.Catherine Airport LFKC

Hi - I recently received notification that there is an upgrade available to v1.10

After downloading the update from the relevant 3rd party, Microsoft Defender immediately flagged the zip / exe file with a severe virus warning.  As a precaution, I removed the data from my PC. Anyone else had this issue?

This message is also mentioned in the original posting of the originally free product made available back in March.

Herman🤨

PC Intel i9-9900KF | Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING motherboard | Corsair 64GB DDR4-3200 RAM | 1+2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD's | 3x 6TB Seagate 7200rpm harddisks | Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme RTX2080 Ti 11GB video card | Trustmaster T.1600M Hotas + CH Pedals | P3Dv4.5HF3 😃

Hi Herman, I have also experienced the same issue with the new update.
The issue remains even after I deactivated Kaspersky and dowloaded the file from Simmarket. 
I did not have any problems with the original file when it was offered free on Simmarket.

It remains in quarantine until I have more info on it. Otherwise I will reinstall the original file. 

Milton

• Upvote 1

That is the reaction one would expect from Simmarket.
Atco, a user who is active at Alpha India Group and at Avsim, reported the same problem. After disabling the AV-software he got an infection with Win32/Jeefo; a virus that attached itself to every exe on the C drive (Source: https://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=33356.msg332013#new)

Right now I would stay away from the Calvi update and NOT disable the AV-software

• Upvote 1

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello the same issue here,

I just contacted Simmarket and asked for correction of installer.

Rado

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs

Just got the same flag from Avast of a Win something infected.

Well, I did install the update but did not run it in FSX. 
So I just uninstalled the update and deleted the download-file from Simmarket.

Running a complete scan with Kaspersky to verify all the drives.

I can think of a couple other times the “advice” to disable AV to install turned out to be...not a great idea. Or even (*cough* FSL *cough*) was hiding something more sinister.

Another one of those things we as a community have gradually normalized that to an outsider would seem totally bonkers!

James

• Like 1

thats a good point honanhal.  I still have that thought.  "Wait what.  disable my antivurus?"  Flight sim is the only software that has ever had this requirement that i've ever seen.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I installed it while I had my virus scanner disabled because of the initial warning. As soon as I turned it back on it alarmed me again and I followed its directions.

Did a complete check today and all seems fine. The reported virus has been removed. Scenery installed ok.

Doesn't look like a false positive to me.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Same issue here with FSX3D installer for the Calvi update. First got a Kaspersky warning, then disabled it and got another warning from Windows Defender. Then installed the files and deleted the original download from SimMarket from my system. Did a quick A/V scanning and all seems fine.

I also wrote a review about the Calvi scenery at SimMarket indicating the issues with the virus warnings.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

" First got a Kaspersky warning, then disabled it and got another warning from Windows Defender."

If I were you, I would save some cash on virus scanners and don't buy them anymore. "I don't need no stinking virus scanners" 😄 

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Yes, as Wolkenschreck describes I ran into this just over 36 hours ago.

The virus is not particularly dangerous it appears, its just highly annoying. After the initial clean up however your system will show as clean when it is not.
Once the virus is run it places svchost.exe in the Windows root folder. Once that is active it then starts to hunt down exe files on your system and it appends itself to them.

Its quite straight forward to clear the initial infection. Anti-virus software will remove svchost.exe and should be able to clean up the registry entries that will activate it.

The problem is that your system is not really clean.

Your legitimate exe files are now infected and will run svchost.exe in the Windows root folder once you run them. It will appear that nothing is wrong because the programs launch and run. Installers also work as intended. However of course each time an infected exe is run it places the svchost.exe back into the windows folder and the virus continues to infect.

The worst issue I ran into was that it infected all my uninstaller exe files as well. That meant all the exe files that were infected I had to remove by hand. By far the worst to deal with was my Adobe products that became infected. Creative Cloud, Lightroom, Photoshop were all infected and I spent several hours removing all traces of them from my system before I could re-install them again.

In many ways the virus seems easy enough to get rid of. You can simply replace an infected exe with a clean one and its gone. My experience tells me that it doesn't replicate any registry entries, it merely seems to thrive by infecting exe files.

I'm no computer expert but the only way I found to rid my system of this was using real time malware protection. The free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has real time protection and in my experience it caught svchost.exe every time it was activated and quarantined it. That way I could find which programs were infected and then re-install them.
Once I re-installed with a new, clean exe the virus was gone.
I also found at least in my case that the virus attacked exe's in the ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles(86) folders first. It also did so by going from top to bottom in alphabetical order. I could literally see which folder it stopped attacking (when my anti-virus kicked back in) because it was in a series of FSLabs livery uninstaller folders and I noticed the change in file size of the uninstaller exe.

The virus will only be active if svchost.exe is allowed to run for any period of time in the Windows root folder. If it is intercepted and not permitted to run then there should be no issue. If it has been running though it will have started to infect other exe files. How many it infects will depend totally on how long it has been left to run.

Very important to note too that of course svchost.exe is a legitimate and necessary Windows file, but only when it is in certain windows folders. The Windows root folder is not one of those places.

I notified both Simmarket and the developer. Simmarket deferred all responsibility to the developer.
The developer replied very angrily to me that everything is fine on his system, that its a false positive and I'm the only one out of 5000+ clients who have complained. Fair to say he doesn't see any problem.

• Upvote 1

I installed it before seeing the warnings, as far as I can tell no virus infection...no svchost.exe in C:\windows, no warnings on running large exe's from Program Files, no warnings from a virus scan...

However I'd suggest NOT installing it for now until there is more evidence.

Cheers
Keith

Edited by keithb77