Sign in to follow this  
renegunshooter

Do you want an a380?

Hye everyone,

Right now there's not really any decent a380 out there. I was wondering if there was interest in an a380. So please drop your opinion.

- Why do you (not) want an a380

- For would simulator would you want it?

- What developer would you like to see make it?

Thanks!

I could do with a decent one for FSX:SE, probably not Wilco, or Abacus.. :wink:

WELCOME to AVSIM By the way! :cool:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I could do with a decent one for FSX:SE, probably not Wilco, or Abacus.. :wink:

WELCOME to AVSIM By the way! :cool:

Thansk! I was thinking thinking about maybe crowdfunding one. Then try to get a developer, i’d prefer aerosoft to develop it.

The RW A380 is about to go the way of the Dodo very soon: Production has already grinded to a halt, esp. with the Covid Critter...  But I really like the way that monster handles in FSX, both in flight and in landings.  But I don't see anyone doing a serious sim model anytime soon?

The A380 is a fabulous aircraft to fly in, and I have enjoyed it on many long-haul trips.  It is more spacious and MUCH quieter than the 747, and therefore less tiring on long flights.  The pilots who fly it say it is a fantastic plane to fly, and the Qantas pilots who experienced that traumatic engine explosion out of Singapore were extremely grateful for the robust build and resilience of the aircraft in that (Rolls Royce) disaster.  And as a long-term simmer, I have always wanted one - however none of the models developed to date are deep system models, and are therefore not a lot of fun to fly.  Mine are mostly eye-candy.

The facts are, though, that the aircraft is a relative flash-in-the-pan compared to the venerable Boeing 747 which has had a life-span of around 50 years.  I suspect therefore, that no developer is going to sink the development costs of such a model into a project that may only sell in limited numbers.  Having said that, if it were to be developed, I would hope that it would be done by someone other than Aerosoft, and that the resulting quality would be more akin to that of FSLabs or PMDG.  Yes the cost would be in that league too, but it would be worth it.

• Upvote 2

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

7 hours ago, HighBypass said:

probably not Wilco, or Abacus.. :wink:

......or the Perfect Flight A380 which is far from what the developer’s name might suggest!

Sadly, even if a decent A380 Is developed, I doubt if it will be for FSX though.

Bill

I should think the chances of one of any sort of realistic level of simulation being developed are pretty much zero, since it is not a popular aircraft, with production of it set to cease next year in fact. Airlines don't want them, especially at that price tag ($445 Million each), so Airbus have come nowhere near the production numbers they needed to recoup the 25 Billion Dollars they spent on developing the thing. The fact is, airlines want range and a twin engine layout, not capacity and four engines, as this suits the modern multi-hub and spoke framework most airlines work with.

It doesn't help that its a fugly S.O.B. either.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Aye - it is a bit of a fat Bifter isn't it? :laugh: Still I enjoyed trying a repaint out on the freeware 380..

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yup. Another problem with it is that it is heavy and large, which limits the stands it can go on at many airports and also limits which taxiways it can use owing to clearances and taxiway shoulder weights on turns. If I recall correctly, I think there is only one stand at Manchester which is really fully suited to it on the end of pier B (in terms of embarking and disembarking passengers. It can go on others, but then you have to use portable stairs and bus the passengers to and from the aircraft, so that's not ideal with so many passengers. Even when it uses that stand on the end of pier B, traffic has to be stopped because its wing overhangs the road where you come around the end of pier B past stand 10.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Once MSFS is released I can see there being a lot of lite development for it. It will be the eye candy sim of choice. YouTube content creators will go nuts with it. There will probably be a really realistic looking A380 for that. Every bit as ugly as the real one. The flight dymanics will probably be pretty good too. But I'd say it will be light on systems. All depends on how stream lined SDK is.

There was some developer a few years ago doing one that looked really promising but they suddenly abandoned it. Can't think of their name though..

David Porrett

14 hours ago, renegunshooter said:

Thansk! I was thinking thinking about maybe crowdfunding one. Then try to get a developer, i’d prefer aerosoft to develop it.

That’s been suggested many times but never works. The devs usually have a roadmap of what they want to develope and not much input from the community seems to change it. People have been begging PMDG to do the 757/757/MD-11 for years, have even made your suggestion to crowd fund it but their decision has never changed. I wouldn’t put too much effort into it if I were you.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup. Another problem with it is that it is heavy and large, which limits the stands it can go on at many airports and also limits which taxiways it can use owing to clearances and taxiway shoulder weights on turns. If I recall correctly, I think there is only one stand at Manchester which is really fully suited to it on the end of pier B (in terms of embarking and disembarking passengers. It can go on others, but then you have to use portable stairs and bus the passengers to and from the aircraft, so that's not ideal with so many passengers. Even when it uses that stand on the end of pier B, traffic has to be stopped because its wing overhangs the road where you come around the end of pier B past stand 10.

That would be stand 12 I believe. Can vouch for the special problems as back in 2011 I flew back to MAN from Dubai and had to wait 30 minutes before cattle class could disembark. I was bursting for a pee but the on-board toilets couldn't be used. Impressive aircraft in size but legroom is no better than smaller aircraft and as you say, it brings special logistical problems for some airports.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The most obvious developers in my opinion would be Aerosoft or FSLabs given their Airbus experience, although if I were them and was looking for biggest ROI I'd probably start with the A350.

No, it's butt-ugly and i would much rather have the time spent on that to be wasted on either an MD-11 or a 727/707.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11