Sign in to follow this  
ual763

May 1st, Moving Vegetation GIF

I didn't realize how much life this detail would bring to the simulator until now

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I didn't realize how much life this detail would bring to the simulator until now

Me neither.  Simply amazing!

They could have looped it a bit better, as it is, it looks more like an invasion of Triffids than wind blowing stuff. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm pretty sure that in winds like that, the aeroplane in the foreground should be being blown around a bit too. It's only a Cub, and they aren't very heavy.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm pretty sure that in winds like that, the aeroplane in the foreground should be being blown around a bit too. It's only a Cub, and they aren't very heavy.

Logically yes but in the actual simulators we use (ESP or XP) I believe the strong wind can make your cessna have a tough time. Ultralights will flip over...

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

1 minute ago, Claviateur said:

Logically yes but in the actual simulators we use (ESP or XP) I believe the strong wind can make your cessna have a tough time. Ultralights will flip over...

That's what tie-downs and flying club bars/cafes are for. 🙂

If they're trying to make the new sim realistic, the aeroplane should not be unaffected by the environmental conditions.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

31 minutes ago, Chock said:

That's what tie-downs and flying club bars/cafes are for. 🙂

If they're trying to make the new sim realistic, the aeroplane should not be unaffected by the environmental conditions.

If such an aircraft is not affected by such a wind, it could be that the trees are not moving based on the Metar wind simply because the Metar wind affects the aircraft at any altitude... Unless we have some infrastructure or terrain that acts as a windshield and we can;t see it here...

I lost an edit where I mentioned that it could be also that the vegetation animation is a first draft and that the movement is exaggerated vs wind strength and will be improved... just a guess.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1

Even the rain is moving sideways!

I feel like the effect on the aircraft on ground is important also.  However... It needs to be done correctly.  For example, in XP11, in a 35kt crosswind on the ground, it will put the wing of a multi-hundred thousand pound airliner into the ground, which is totally unrealistic. I am all for wind effects on aircraft while stationary on the ground, but it does need to be done correctly - not like XP.  Who knows, maybe they already have that and the low level trees/bushes are blocking the wind from affecting the aircraft too much.  

31 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Even the rain is moving sideways!

I feel like the effect on the aircraft on ground is important also.  However... It needs to be done correctly.  For example, in XP11, in a 35kt crosswind on the ground, it will put the wing of a multi-hundred thousand pound airliner into the ground, which is totally unrealistic. I am all for wind effects on aircraft while stationary on the ground, but it does need to be done correctly - not like XP.  Who knows, maybe they already have that and the low level trees/bushes are blocking the wind from affecting the aircraft too much.  

Asobo had a presentation in the weather Aerodynamics video on how wind flows I suppose. It was well thought. 

But I agree, no civilian flight simulator among those we use now have a convincing and refined behavior of aircraft when they are on the ground... 

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1

SpeedTree?

• Like 1

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

I think my present motherboard/CPU/GPU will take one look at the RTM...and tell me; "Nothing to see here...move on, move on..."  😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I think my present motherboard/CPU/GPU will take one look at the RTM...and tell me; "Nothing to see here...move on, move on..."  😞

Well, DCS, P3d4 and P3d5 have 3D trees that respond to the wind and compared to some of the major factors that impact performance, the 3D trees are a much smaller influence. Keep in mind that the 3D tree models are only used up close and are replaced with 2D billboards at distance.

4 hours ago, Noooch said:

Same here.