Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

FSPS : FFTF DYNAMIC P3Dv5 Released

Well I have done another test looking at this elusive smoothness thing flying the Marub6 departure in the NGXu from 34R at YSSY (Sydney Australia).  I have flown this many times in real life (as pax) and in the sim.  The procedure calls for a very sharp 90 deg plus turn to the right at 500 ft so rather than following the FD as i would suspect you would do in real life I turned on the autopilot just after rotation and switched to the right wing view and checked for "smoothess".  I repeated this several times with vsync on and unlimited frames and no FFTF dynamic and with no vsync and frames set to 120 and 29 in ncp and with FFTF dynamic on.  In all honesty I could detect no improvement in smoothness with FFTF dynamic or without and I get no blurries either way.  Maybe folk are seeing different things here depending on the type of flying they do - GA of large jets or whether they have a 30Hz monitor or not. What I also see is that setting frames in P3D to anything other than unlimited leads to a significant fps penalty which you can recover using FFTF dynamic but that is all.  So to justify using  FFTF dynamic there needs to be some other payoff which I have yet to find.

Bruceb

Edited by brucewtb
typo

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

When you are low or on the ground in heavy scenery you can have a lower FFTF and recover the fps. Since the background task takes seconds to complete it won't matter so much if it takes a little longer when you can't see to the horizon. In my tests earlier this was the case with unlimited and vsync=off and 20 fps limit in NCP on 60Hz 4K monitor with in-sim 4k resolution and 1k textures.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...and HT enabled one task per core.

2 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Well I have done another test looking at this elusive smoothness thing flying the Marub6 departure in the NGXu from 34R at YSSY (Sydney Australia).  I have flown this many times in real life (as pax) and in the sim.  The procedure calls for a very sharp 90 deg plus turn to the right at 500 ft so rather than following the FD as i would suspect you would do in real life I turned on the autopilot just after rotation and switched to the right wing view and checked for "smoothess".  I repeated this several times with vsync on and unlimited frames and no FFTF dynamic and with no vsync and frames set to 120 and 29 in ncp and with FFTF dynamic on.  In all honesty I could detect no improvement in smoothness with FFTF dynamic or without and I get no blurries either way.  Maybe folk are seeing different things here depending on the type of flying they do - GA of large jets or whether they have a 30Hz monitor or not. What I also see is that setting frames in P3D to anything other than unlimited leads to a significant fps penalty which you can recover using FFTF dynamic but that is all.  So to justify using  FFTF dynamic there needs to be some other payoff which I have yet to find.

Bruceb

true it depends on the flying. Internally limited is there for a reason. It pregenerates frames ahead of time so that they are ready to go. This is expensive CPU wise but gives highest chance of not getting dropped frames with modest settings especially during rapid scenery transition processing. FFTF should decrease the chance of dropped frames even more because you can slow down CPU scenery loading processing and keep the benefits of internal frame limit which "should" give more headroom for other types of processing that are needed in fast scenery transitions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi,

Just to clarify why other stores does not have the product yet is because I always keep new products for some days only at our store to have a better and faster reaction to support at possible bugs and fix them. Until now we do not have any bug.

Hi,

Still very disappointing to disadvantage those who purchased your product from SimMarket. Surely, it's either released or not?

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

5 hours ago, Noel said:

I downloaded the latest NV Inspector, found the VSYNC drop-down and chose 1/2 so I could set my monitor to 60Hz.  I reloaded P3D after this, left it in UNLIMITED w/ vsync enabled, but frames stayed at 60 (or below as the situation unfolded).  Any ideas what to look into to be able to sync to 30 frames using a divider?

I have it exactly the same as you. NVI vsync at 1/2 refresh rate and triple buffer on.

Then while in p3d you will need to untick the vsync and after starting the flight press ALT+ENTER to switch to “fullscreen” mode. In windowed mode it will not work.

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Any ideas what to look into to be able to sync to 30 frames using a divider?

Dont you have the option 1/4 in this dropdown menue? I have it, monitor to 120Hz and 1/4 results in locked 30 FPS...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

So, errr, what? Haha I’m more confused than when I started now! 
Maybe steveW could clarify?

If I use the in game VRR option with a gsync monitor, should I be leaving my frames at unlimited? Or?

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, errr, what? Haha I’m more confused than when I started now! 
Maybe steveW could clarify?

If I use the in game VRR option with a gsync monitor, should I be leaving my frames at unlimited? Or?

Same as anyone else, you have to experiment. With locked that's the rate, with unlimited that's then limited by varying vsync of the monitor or by external limiter. Differences in scenery is the main factor. Very high scenery settings probably won't be accommodated very well by altering FFTF, you need to find the best setup for you.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Same as anyone else, you have to experiment. With locked that's the rate, with unlimited that's then limited by varying vsync of the monitor or by external limiter. Differences in scenery is the main factor. Very high scenery settings probably won't be accommodated very well by altering FFTF, you need to find the best setup for you.

But with variable refresh rate (g-sync) then my frames fluctuate between 30-144....Its super smooth.....

But then you're good to go variable.

Perfect. One last thing, I noticed upping my texture bandwidth multi to 160 totally smoothed things out with faster texture loading. I always thought that setting was a thing of the past! 

also, with VRR, should I cap my frame rate at 117, or leave unlimited? 

Well guys 19 pages and I am not sure cannot work from all the posts. . Whats the conclusion should I buy it and best configuration .  RTX 2080 VR Rift S is prime use case. So have to set unlimited frames or judder sets in.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Try the manual setting at 0.1 when on the ground if that helps then close the sim, set the manual setting to 0.4 and then fly at 6000. That's more or less what the program will do so to vary it during flight for best result low and high.

33 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

also, with VRR, should I cap my frame rate at 117, or leave unlimited? 

.With external limiter cap where you like.

12 hours ago, brucewtb said:

What I also see is that setting frames in P3D to anything other than unlimited leads to a significant fps penalty which you can recover using FFTF dynamic but that is all.  So to justify using  FFTF dynamic there needs to be some other payoff which I have yet to find.

Bruceb

That has been the case since at least FSX, the 'unlimited leads to fps penalty'.

Despite having found the Holy Grail 5y ago it's been intriguing to try to see if it can be duplicated on a 60Hz screen.   I tried the latest version of Inspector, using its VSYNC 1/2 divisor, while retaining unlimited/vsync, but alas for reasons I don't understand in-sim it's not picking it up--frame rate just goes where it would unrestrained.  So the I used NCP's 'max frame rate', which I assumed was its FPS limiter, but alas it did limit frames alright, but they went into the toilet at KSAN-HD in ORBX SCA in the NXGu:  at gate 48 I think it was we started at 30fps and before we got half way thru the flight setup and readying for taxi she slowly but steadily sank to 20!  This was not expected using unlimited/vsync!   

So back to Holy Grail we went, and as predicted:  PERFECTLY SMOOTH animation right on out of KSAN-HD to KSLC at dawn.  Absolutely breathtakingly pretty sunrise over the dawn haze and clouds.  I tried FFTF, AGL set to 6000, and the RANGE of FFTF set as 0.01 to 1.0.   I was delighted to note NOT ONE long frame all the way out of the area.  It doesn't mean much because these are typically uncommon, but that is an area where I might have had one, but didn't, so that is hopeful.

So I still do not know if it's possible to improve on unlimited w/ vsync to a 30Hz screen.  Quite frankly and I'm neither blind nor inattentive, I don't see anything wrong w/ a 30Hz screen.  Mouse pointer is not blurred or choppy, VC panning is perfect, it's really the Holy Grail!  I can appreciate 30Hz on a CRT would be a nightmare, but I don't see the issue thankfully w/ the LCD screen.  I accidentally stumbled into the 30Hz refresh rate w/ the Dell screen I have and I can say if I didn't have a 30Hz capable screen I would absolutely buy one because nothing has ever compared favorably against this.  I don't know why I'm not able to do the divisor trick thru Inspector and have it work but it doesn't.  I even deleted the P3D profile in Inspector to help insure there was no interference from there.   I have to think the divisor method ought to work and perhaps give the same result I'm not sure.  Others here seem confident it does do the job.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X