Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed!

Recommended Posts

Hello again guys,

This has introduced for me a swag of confusion.

As far as I can gather, it will be compatible with current high end PCs and our Flight sims (all platforms?) and if so ...

Will we buy that as a stand alone programme and install into our flight sims and will it seamlessly integrate?.

Will the Flight sims have to incorporate it into individual platorms eg P3Dv5 or 6,XPlane, Aerofly etc, charging extra, of course?.

How far away is all this going to be possible?  AND, lastly,

Will MSFS actually require it?

Whatever happens, it is, I think, an exciting development if we can use it at a reasnable cost.

Cheers to you alland be safe please

Tony

 


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello again guys,

This has introduced for me a swag of confusion.

As far as I can gather, it will be compatible with current high end PCs and our Flight sims (all platforms?) and if so ...

Will we buy that as a stand alone programme and install into our flight sims and will it seamlessly integrate?.

Will the Flight sims have to incorporate it into individual platorms eg P3Dv5 or 6,XPlane, Aerofly etc, charging extra, of course?.

How far away is all this going to be possible?  AND, lastly,

Will MSFS actually require it?

Whatever happens, it is, I think, an exciting development if we can use it at a reasnable cost.

Cheers to you alland be safe please

Tony

 

This is not something that you would download and install in the sim. It is a tech demo of a new game engine that developers would use to build their games on. Most game developers out there use an engine built by the likes of Epic or Unigine. Asobo would have to replace the sim engine they have built for MSFS for this to be used in the sim, which I doubt. On the other hand, Asobo may use, or already be using, some of the techniques shown here in the sim. 

Edited by goates
Speeling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Goates

So, in essence, I assume other than Osobo, (not likely)we can not expect any further updates for our current sims.

I guess that puts my quandries to bed.

Thank you all for your responses to my queries.

Regards

Tony


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

This was posted as an example of what is coming for computer graphics and gaming, not something that would be directly used in the sim itself. However, Asobo may well use the same or similar techniques in the sim as they continue to develop it. It's just very unlikely that they will switch to using this particular engine.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

i9 10900K\ASUS 490 APEX \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ 3 +1TB M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus  \ 2 X 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba SATA\ 32GB G.SKILL Z 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.2hf

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

PC manufactures take note.

PCs and consoles have been playing leap frog for a couple decades now. PCs will end up with something similar, maybe even better, and sooner or later will leave consoles behind, again. And then in five or six years or so, a new generation of consoles will come out and the cycle will repeat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, goates said:

PCs and consoles have been playing leap frog for a couple decades now. PCs will end up with something similar, maybe even better, and sooner or later will leave consoles behind, again. And then in five or six years or so, a new generation of consoles will come out and the cycle will repeat.

True for 3 grand next year you may be able to match a £500-600 console.

Then PC hardware will leave the flight sim behind not making use of the very expensive hardware and again needing to catch up, they have been talking multi-core for just under 15years.


i9 10900K\ASUS 490 APEX \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ 3 +1TB M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus  \ 2 X 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba SATA\ 32GB G.SKILL Z 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.2hf

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, G-RFRY said:

Skip to 22mins if you want.

In the Youtube video, you pause at minute 22, then you can click share, tick start at 22:00 and you get a link generated to start from that point.

I knew some UE4 and now im doing a corse about this as Im interested to create a planet and a simulator. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mp15 said:

In the Youtube video, you pause at minute 22, then you can click share, tick start at 22:00 and you get a link generated to start from that point.

I knew some UE4 and now im doing a corse about this as Im interested to create a planet and a simulator. 

I shared the vid because there is more than just UE4 on that vid some may be interested in.


i9 10900K\ASUS 490 APEX \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ 3 +1TB M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus  \ 2 X 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba SATA\ 32GB G.SKILL Z 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.2hf

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

True for 3 grand next year you may be able to match a £500-600 console.

Then PC hardware will leave the flight sim behind not making use of the very expensive hardware and again needing to catch up, they have been talking multi-core for just under 15years.

The cost on the PC may be high initially, but will come down. There are also other areas where PCs will leave consoles behind, possibly pretty quickly, such as CPU and GPU performance. While the new consoles are going to be powerful, they will still have compromises to fit into the price range.

And as for the multi-core issue, that had a lot more to with ACES being dropped and development in the flight sim world slowing down than any technical rule. They were already working on it, and the next version would have almost certainly done better. Asobo is talking about supporting MSFS for 10 years, so I don't think that's a very relevant argument.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, goates said:

The cost on the PC may be high initially, but will come down. There are also other areas where PCs will leave consoles behind, possibly pretty quickly, such as CPU and GPU performance. While the new consoles are going to be powerful, they will still have compromises to fit into the price range.

And as for the multi-core issue, that had a lot more to with ACES being dropped and development in the flight sim world slowing down than any technical rule. They were already working on it, and the next version would have almost certainly done better. Asobo is talking about supporting MSFS for 10 years, so I don't think that's a very relevant argument.

True but don't be surprised if MS and Asobo continue development of MSFS for the console over the next 10 years, Asobo and MS are game developers before FS was resurrected and MS knows the game console is were the numbers are, MS purchased Minecraft for the new platform now on 200 million copies sold that`s the sort of numbers game developers like.   


i9 10900K\ASUS 490 APEX \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ 3 +1TB M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus  \ 2 X 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba SATA\ 32GB G.SKILL Z 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.2hf

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

True but don't be surprised if MS and Asobo continue development of MSFS for the console over the next 10 years, Asobo and MS are game developers before FS was resurrected and MS knows the game console is were the numbers are, MS purchased Minecraft for the new platform now on 200 million copies sold that`s the sort of numbers game developers like.   

Are you suggesting they would largely drop development of the PC version? The console itself won't change nearly as much as a PC would, which will soon have more powerful hardware to take advantage of, and probably one or two new generations of DX to work with too. While the sim will not match the numbers of the top end AAA game titles, it doesn't need to in order to be successful. Plenty of games sell far less than the likes of Minecraft and COD, and are still considered successes. I'm quite sure Microsoft is well aware of this and and wouldn't have embarked on the project if they didn't see it making them money.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello to you all,

I am just getting more and more befuddled with this topic, and seek to be fuddled LOL

What I do not understand is, if this UE5 has no relevance to our current sims, why are we even talking about it avidly?

I mean no disrespect here. Would I be right in assuming that UE5  is only relevant to the upcoming PS5 only at this stage. Is there any indication that our flight sim platforms will be released  on PS5 or XBox, and, even if they did, would there be any real benefit as opposed to a current mid to top spec PC? Personally, I cannot really see XPlane, DCS, Aerofly or P3D going to a console of any description, and that only leaves MSFS2020 on an Xbox console which is yet to be released?

Specifically, I am wondering why we are getting so excited about it.  Certainly, UE5 is getting quite a bit of publicity, but is that sufficient for our Flight sim platforms to adopt it in a big way.  At this time, I really cannot see it making a huge difference to what is generally, I think, the expectations of what MSFS2020 is going to be like.  Even then, when P3D and XPlane get DX12 and Vulkan working flawlessly, will there be any real and significant difference between the three top contenders for UE5 to be even relevant to our simming community?

Regards 

Tony

Be Safe

 


Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, himmelhorse said:

What I do not understand is, if this UE5 has no relevance to our current sims, why are we even talking about it avidly?

People are talking about it as it is a good example of what is possible on upcoming hardware and games. Historically flight sims have lagged behind other games, especially when it comes to graphics, so many here are interested in what else is going on. While this particular demo was run on a PS5, the Unreal Engine has long been used to develop games that run across all platforms, from mobile phones to consoles to PCs.

As for MSFS and the Xbox, it has already been announced that it will be coming to the Xbox consoles some time after the PC version. Other than that, they haven't provided much detail.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, goates said:

Historically flight sims have lagged behind other games, especially when it comes to graphics,

There’s a reason for that. Most video games are played in a limited sandbox. A flight simulator is global in nature. Do you seriously think that either RDR2, GTA V or Battlefield would run on a console if either of them simulated the entire globe in a realistic fashion? Hardware is advancing to that point but we aren’t there yet.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...