Sign in to follow this  
spilok

What fixes Elevation in P3dv5?

When I used Central version 3 in ORBX with P3dv4+, there used to be a tab that could correct elevation problems of all kinds.  You just had to put in the airport code and disable it if there were a problem. 

Is there anyway to address specific airport elevation of weird problems at airports in P3dv5?

Stan

They do need a FTX Vector for V5. I fly RW out of KCRQ and the ground elevations are way off compared to what i see on final.

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

I always searched for the airport manually in the folder ORBX and turned it off

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

AEC only corrected elevations that vector introduced. Most issues come from bad default data or high res mesh. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Since Prepar3D V4.5 HF2 the elevation of an airport is defined by the LAST redefinition (upper in library). There is no more such a thing as Alt stub.

One of the reasons of vector not being ported to V5.

So the elevation must be fixed by your airport supplier.

Gérard

1 hour ago, gaab said:

There is no more such a thing as Alt stub.

Actually not quite true. An ALT stub BGL is no longer needed to change an airport's elevation. Unless LM fixed this in P3d5, an ALT sub BGL is still needed to change an airport's name. 

6 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Actually not quite true. An ALT stub BGL is no longer needed to change an airport's elevation. Unless LM fixed this in P3d5, an ALT sub BGL is still needed to change an airport's name. 

You are right, but that was not the topic.

There is a need to let people know this change (probably needed for the sloped runways).

It is not as frequent to need to change the ICAO name 😉

LM has not listed it in any change log as long as I know. And the impact is not unsignificant...

That is the reason why I try to insist on this point frequently.

Regards

Gérard

Edited by gaab

14 hours ago, gaab said:

You are right, but that was not the topic.

There is a need to let people know this change (probably needed for the sloped runways).

It is not as frequent to need to change the ICAO name 😉

LM has not listed it in any change log as long as I know. And the impact is not unsignificant...

That is the reason why I try to insist on this point frequently.

Regards

Gérard

This is actually something very interesting to know to be honest. Could you please fill me in on the details on this? Does that mean that I wouldn’t need to include the xyz_ALT.bgl’s in an add-on.xml that come with some sceneries?

The main reason of my interest in this topic is because all these altitude stubs create a whole mess in an add-on.xml file which is a lot of work when I am trying to keep all the scenery files out of my P3D folder by manually adding the ALT files to the scenery’s already existing add-on.xml and moving them the scenery’s location. Especially with Drzewiecki Designs airports which still love to install all the files within the P3D main folder - which I don’t like, creating a mess (a bit of OCD).

Kind regards,

Balint

Edited by Balint Szarka

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

58 minutes ago, Balint Szarka said:

This is actually something very interesting to know to be honest. Could you please fill me in on the details on this? Does that mean that I wouldn’t need to include the xyz_ALT.bgl’s in an add-on.xml that come with some sceneries?

LM changed the way a revised airport's altitude was prioritized beginning with P3d 4.5 HF2. Prior to that revision, a stub BGL file usually identified with ALT in its filename was placed in .../scenery/world/scenery in order to change an airport's altitude, since that folder loads first in P3d. See this explanation by Jon Masterson (AKA ScruffyDuck), the author of Airport Design Editor:

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/199754-how-do-i-change-the-altitude-of-an-airport

This approach was cumbersome, so LM changed it such that the version of the airport that is the highest priority in the scenery library determines the airport altitude. This renders those ALT BGL files useless, except possibly for changing the name of the airport.

• Like 1

Deleted

Edited by gaab
deleted

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

LM changed the way a revised airport's altitude was prioritized beginning with P3d 4.5 HF2. Prior to that revision, a stub BGL file usually identified with ALT in its filename was placed in .../scenery/world/scenery in order to change an airport's altitude, since that folder loads first in P3d. See this explanation by Jon Masterson (AKA ScruffyDuck), the author of Airport Design Editor:

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/199754-how-do-i-change-the-altitude-of-an-airport

This approach was cumbersome, so LM changed it such that the version of the airport that is the highest priority in the scenery library determines the airport altitude. This renders those ALT BGL files useless, except possibly for changing the name of the airport.

Interesting. My Orbx Trueearth UK South still has a stub folder, but the other parts of the UK do not. Anyone know whether these are still required? 
Sounds like it would only make sense if the airport scenery had the wrong altitude encoded.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

16 hours ago, Balint Szarka said:

Does that mean that I wouldn’t need to include the xyz_ALT.bgl’s in an add-on.xml that come with some sceneries?

Exactly. I have started to update all my add-on.xml except Orbx,  because
- they frequently mix alt.bgl with traffic.bgl
- they update very frequently their sceneries to (try to) address V5 evolution...

But will happen one day 🙂

Gérard

I am convinced that sloped runway is the real driver for this long waited evolution.

• Like 1

@jabloomf1230 and @gaab thank you both very much for clarification!

It’s time then for all the ALT files to go from my add-on.xml’s. They only add complexity to the already complex scenery priorities... Again OCD 😆

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER