Sign in to follow this  
Sabinede

What will become of ORBX?

Good riddance, they're all sims, they're all games, not anymore of one or the other, whether sold in "MS games" section or postfixed with a "Professional" tag in the title. I thought people were over that by now.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If ORBX goes down the drain, as long as I get my TerraFlora trees working again in FSX, I don't care!  😜 ORBX hasn't sorted this out yet since the licence migration from Turbulent...

NOTE: I do NOT believe ORBX will go down the drain thanks to MSFS  due to reasons already posted 😎

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I like all this input from MSFS Alpha testers .

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Many of us like to buy into the illusion that we're getting the most realistic experience possible for our resources, and I can't imagine that will change too much despite MSFS's clear leap over current world renders.

There'll always be something that 3PDs could do with varying degrees of improvement over Adobos already great work (mesh, autogen, higher resolution ground textures with imperfections like clouds / static life hand-masked out, custom buildings etc.) to persuade us to squeeze that extra bit of realism out of the experience. Also it's quite possible that those offerings will have business applications as well which could open up whole new revenue streams for companies that used to only cater for our niche hobby. Personally, I'm sure Orbx are and will be just fine.

One thing that I'm not so sure about is how the 3PD ecosystem will develop; if they have a fairly open marketplace then would a lot of people making airports for Orbx currently need Orbx to sell them to us in future? As noted some airports like Barton are only available for some sims I think because people like Tony had already done most of the groundwork privately?

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

What a strange thread…

Kinda stale. We have debated this a hundred times since June. Even if, like me, you very much look forward to the new sim it is rather obvious that the addon industry is here to stay with some inevitable changes in the lines of produits offered. Including scenery developers. And that is good.

By the way, why targeting Orbx. Bizarre OP if you ask me. His first post.  An irate customer hiding his identity under a new account ?

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

For me, the real question is going to be about value for dollar.

For instance: if a scenery area is being offered by whatever company for X dollars, and the scenery area is already covered in similar or even greater detail in MSFS... then that third party scenery is pretty much a dead issue for me.

If a scenery area is being offered by whatever company for X dollars, and the scenery area is already covered in MSFS but in lesser detail, then the question becomes, is the difference in detail between the default and the 3rd party scenery enough to justify a 3rd party scenery that just might have an asking price equal or greater than the entire sim.........

Also: If default aircraft in the sim eventually prove good enough to at least approximately match third party efforts, (an open question, but certainly possible) what then, becomes the impetus for purchasing the 3rd party aircraft?

These are questions people are going to be asking themselves as this all evolves and is revealed, and I think the main factor will be how much work will MS/Asobo leave for third parties to do, as opposed to how much they (MS/Asobo) decide to incorporate as default features of the sim?

Much more than with Flight and DTG sim, where the 3rd party tail wagged the dog, MS/Asobo seem pretty much in control of the future, right now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Much more than with Flight and DTG sim, where the 3rd party tail wagged the dog, MS/Asobo seem pretty much in control of the future, right now.

Your comments may well prove to be far more critically prophetic than many will realize...

...unfortunately..

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I find it odd that so many have so much faith that MS2020 is the coming Messiah of our community.  I myself am very dubious.  M$ has let us down in the past and I have little faith ion them now.  P3D aint going anywhere.

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 5/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, scotchegg said:

As noted some airports like Barton are only available for some sims I think because people like Tony had already done most of the groundwork privately?

Being curious, and liking to connect the dots, almost the first thing I did in the new sim was to make a visit to almost all of Orbx's most popular airports.

It was interesting.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Being a curious, and liking to connect the dots, almost the first thing I did in the new sim was to make a visit to almost all of Orbx's most popular airports.

It was interesting.

The litmus test is, was there any school bus in Darrington 😉 ?

• Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Being curious, and liking to connect the dots, almost the first thing I did in the new sim was to make a visit to almost all of Orbx's most popular airports.

It was interesting.

I am assuming that you discovered that all (or a large percentage) of the released ORBx airports have detailed (and perhaps similar looking) counterparts in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator? In other words, maybe evidence of some kind of partnership/deal? I do not expect you to answer this directly. After all, you are under NDA 😉

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I am assuming that you discovered that all (or a large percentage) of the released ORBx airports have detailed (and perhaps similar looking) counterparts in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator? In other words, maybe evidence of some kind of partnership/deal? I do not expect you to answer this directly. After all, you are under NDA 😉

As If I could answer that........ 

But you do know what they say about assuming.......... 🙃

Devons rig

On 5/24/2020 at 6:18 PM, Christopher Low said:

I noted that she was not at the Cosford Flightsim Show last October, which made me wonder if she had parted company with ORBx.

I noticed that she was and indeed spoke to her. I even saw you.

The OP of this topic is to be congratulated on a fine piece of trolling, his or her motivation might be a better topic for discussion.

Edited by Reader

Now I think about it, I may well have seen her at the exhibitor evening social at the hotel. I probably did not see her at the show itself because I was at the FSReborn stand for long periods of time on both days.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

She said she was going to it, so perhaps you did.