Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 28th, 2020 - Development/Insider Update

The ATC is very FSX-like, but at least now you can let the copilot take care of the sometimes endless frequency changes, and the interface seems much more user friendly. In FSX I had all of the callsigns but I can't remember if it was "editvoicepack" program that put them in there or not. I know I used that program to speed up the speech in FSX, and although its a little faster in 2020 it could still use some speeding up. When you have several planes on the same frequency casual speech is a hindrance.

Edited by desbean

Maybe ATC will be the first DLC come 2021. I'd love to have ATC with proper nomenclature that doesn't vector me into rising terrain, or send  me on a waypoint goose-chase because I didn't get close enough to the VOR.

That said, FS2020 is far ahead of FSX ATC, and that's all that matters right now.

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

8 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I'd love to have ATC with proper nomenclature that doesn't vector me into rising terrain

Yep - no vectoring into mountains please! That would be nice to have at release already!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

12 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Yep - no vectoring into mountains please! That would be nice to have at release already!

ATC: "World Travel 456GL, turn right heading 090, descend and maintain 500 feet until established on the localizer."

World travel 456GL:

Edited by WestAir
  • Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

The ATC phraseology as many others pointed out is definitely very inaccurate to both FAA and ICAO standards.  Hopefully these issues can be improved upon in the future.  It’s good that the flight planner includes SIDS, STARS and IAP’s to choose from, however I think are other features it could have.  From the video it doesn’t look like it has the capability to create a custom waypoint by dragging a line that tells you which direction and how many miles the line is.  Plan-G what I use has that function called QDM.  It’s what I use to connect the gaps in SIDS and STARS that require vectoring.  This is also why it is good to have an ATC system that is capable of vectoring realistically for both departures and arrivals when necessary.  Since many SIDS and STARS do require ATC vectoring.

Other options of course are flying online, vectoring yourself or filling in the gaps with flight planning software.  Which is why creating custom waypoints the way I spoke of above is very good to have.  If the built in planner doesn’t have that capability, hopefully either Plan-G or even LittleNavMap can be made usable with FS2020 or another freeware program could be used that has that function.

Edited by ap1

I'm sure that everyone is aware that the sim is STILL in Alpha???

If you want real ATC, do your real PPL..

• Like 4

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Now that I've seen the episode with audio, I don't think the TTS voices are going to cut it. While vast improvements have been made, it will probably be years until they become convincing enough. I hope that at some point they will consider voice acting for the ATC. I'm wondering if the old 2002 voices would work too, I recall they had lots of unused voice lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gulfstream said:

This is to be expected.

The TTS system won't be able to pronounce things like "AMZG", "CRZY", "WYPT" as "amazing crazy waypoint".

Natural to us, not quite to software.

If you’re referring to waypoints they are always pronounceable in the real world. Always five letters and often chosen by AT controllers. For example, the position at which Concorde started supersonic climb from Heathrow to JFK was named UPGAS.

They have to be pronounceable as ATC will often command an aircraft to proceed direct to one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Greazer said:

I would pay extra for Pro level ATC DLC:

• Real phrases
  • Multiple and quality voices
  • Go arounds
  • Emergencies
  • Hijackings

Greazer.

so develop your own addons for FS2020. It's never too late to learn programming.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

29 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They have to be pronounceable as ATC will often command an aircraft to proceed direct to one.

Not all waypoints are pronounceable. Computer Navigation Fixes (CNF) are designated waypoints that are purposely made unpronounceable as they are used for alignment only and may not be assigned by ATC. You normally find them on IAPs and are inside of parentheses. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KenG said:

Not all waypoints are pronounceable. Computer Navigation Fixes (CNF) are designated waypoints that are purposely made unpronounceable as they are used for alignment only and may not be assigned by ATC. You normally find them on IAPs and are inside of parentheses. 

That’s news to me. They must be a recent addition.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s news to me. They must be a recent addition.

About 5 or 6 years now. They were one of the hot items for our Center Examiner so we made sure to point them out to everyone who was getting a type. 

It’s not that fixes are not pronounceable, it is agreeing out how to pronounce them. Unless there is a “phonics for fixes” standard out there, a lot of times pronunciation just falls into local knowledge.

Chris