Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

The magic recipe to tame P3D v5 : zero crash certified!

14 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Just add him to the handful of people on this forum (we all know to whom I'm referring) who jump on here with clickbait subject lines to share their wisdom. It always ends up being flat-out wrong, painfully obvious, or highly circumstantial advice.

"Magic," "zero-crash certified." Please.

Lighten up. It's a bit of half-serious fun for a Lockdown Sunday.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

14 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Lighten up. It's a bit of half-serious fun for a Lockdown Sunday.

Then consider my reply a critique of the serious half and let's leave it at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Roch said:

Only talking about crashes here 😉
I respect all your other points, but they are subjective.
Do you remember when MS released the "DX10 Preview" for FSX? It was also kind of beta.
And do you remember P3Dv4 at the beginning? Not really better than this release.

Correct and I'm with you on 99% of the points. I do believe that much of the crashes have to do with users forcing stuff into v5.

The VRAM crash issue is still present though and I'm sorry to say it again but most of the guys here that are NOT complaining about the VRAM issue (which does lead to crashes) are those running NOT high end GPU'S but GPU's with lot's of VRAM (1080Ti, 2080Ti,...basicaly GPU'S above 10Gb VRAM).

I would wish for those fortunate enough to posess such high VRAM GPU's to understand that lot's of others (like me for instance) don't have this luxury. Given the facts how much detail P3D has to offer (I'm speaking about all the objects within the sim from gras, which is a 2D texture, to more detailed airport bildings), I find v5 very poorly optimized.

IMHO Some DEVs actually hold back releasing stuff for v5 because it already eat's up a lot of resources in vanilla state. 

Let's hope that v5 will get better!  Thumbs up for sharing your settings with us.

I do plan to upgrade my PC this year and will surely benefit from your imputs.

BR,

Gerald

PS: V4 was my first P3D sim and due to the fact that I did not own Addon's for it, I never had issues. I started to purchase addon's v4 certified and again had no issues.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

get an 2080Ti with 11GG VRAM ? Problem solved ?

SEriously, Like all the other sims I have run before, Core 0 gets pinned at 100% while the rest get distributed to the rest of the core threads. I can confirm to you that P3D V5, Pine my Threadripper 1950x first core to 100& while the rest of thread (all 31 of them) have some kind load.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Come on all,

The guy is only looking to help others. He has repeatedly stated if you are having crashes, give it a try. Obviously, he has found settings that has worked for him. We all have different settings/systems and there is never a one size fits all in this process. You have to judge your system against a poster's system and proceed with caution. The good thing is that he has posted information and I'm sure at some point it will help someone and that's what it's all about. I have flown simple jets and complex heavy jets in my career, but over clocking a computer was scary territory for me. Even to this day, I'm not versed in at all, but I have a stable 5.0 GHZ clock. I achieved this by searching through forums and finding a poster whose system was very similar to mine. I'm glad he posted that information because I benefited from it. A lot people in the flightsim community act like some of the people I have encountered in real world flying. Especially during my Air force flying days. Everyone wants to be a lawyer and point out flaws in what people say or how they operate. It's the same way with flying techniques. Even as an examiner, I have never attacked a person's technique unless it went against regulations or policy. If it works for that specific person inside of regulations, so be it. All of the things you see posted around in the forums are techniques. You just have to keep an open mind, be smart about it and proceed with caution. It's like the de-lidding conversation. It's not for me. I stick with my water cooling and turn HT off. But, I won't knock it because it works for others.

David, thanks for sharing and proceed as filed.

Rick     

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

@fogboundturtle I would aim at 8Gb since I don't run 4K or multiple displays and hope that it will suffice (otherwise I will drop v5).

Keep an open mind and don't be that harsh towards the OP (your post seams a bit edgy). If you have a good HW you could test the suggestions and report back.

I jumped in on this post cause the "blaming" stuff. I didn't see it fair towards the other simmers...

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

40 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

SEriously, Like all the other sims I have run before, Core 0 gets pinned at 100% while the rest get distributed to the rest of the core threads. I can confirm to you that P3D V5, Pine my Threadripper 1950x first core to 100& while the rest of thread (all 31 of them) have some kind load.

And that is a problem, why?

Bert

it is not but you need good thermal on your CPU to maintain that kinda load.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

This thread is funny because it's true.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I can confirm that a vanilla P3Dv5 does not crash on my modest system, I7 2600k at 3.8 with turbo, 16g of 3200 ram, HT on, 1070GTX 8g vram

I can also confirm it still does not crash with PMDG 747, most ORBX stuff, Latin VFR KMIA, Miami X, Fly Tampa CYUL , Traffic Global and Active Sky beta...

I have moderate settings but EA on, cloud shadows, FXAA off, 8xMSSA, TF at 8, textures at 1024x1024, maybe not the nicest but enough for around 20 fps (locked at 25 in NVCP unlimited in sim) on the ground at KMIA with 4.5-4.9 vram, much smoother that any sim I had since FS9

I wasn't able to have that with v4.5 so very happy so far

Alain from Montreal

Edited by aljones
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, David Roch said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

Don't laugh, I will give you today the magic recipe to enjoy P3Dv5 without fear of CTDs, BSODs and other DGXI errors!!!
100% certified, tested by our international laboratories!!!
No chloroquine was used during the tests......

You are right David, confirmed:

Prepare3Dv5 / ASUS Prime Z390A / I9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz / GSkill 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHZ CL15 @ 3400 MHz / RTX4070TI / Windows 10 Home / Monitor Philips 436M6VBPAB / Force Feedback Yoke / Thrustmaster PTR rudder pedals

4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

i don't think a zoomed out picture like those however is where you actually see the difference in the texture size.  It's looking at small detail when zoomed in.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Just add him to the handful of people on this forum (we all know to whom I'm referring) who jump on here with clickbait subject lines to share their wisdom. It always ends up being flat-out wrong, painfully obvious, or highly circumstantial advice.

"Magic," "zero-crash certified." Please.

The problem is that without a dedicated P3D v5 forum, v4 users feel left out. We are lost without our ability to express our thoughts. We need to write something. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, aljones said:

I can confirm that a vanilla P3Dv5 does not crash on my modest system, I7 2600k at 3.8 with turbo, 16g of 3200 ram, HT on, 1070GTX 8g vram

I can also confirm it still does not crash with PMDG 747, most ORBX stuff, Latin VFR KMIA, Miami X, Fly Tampa CYUL , Traffic Global and Active Sky beta...

I have moderate settings but EA on, cloud shadows, FXAA off, 8xMSSA, TF at 8, textures at 1024x1024, maybe not the nicest but enough for around 20 fps (locked at 25 in NVCP unlimited in sim) on the ground at KMIA with 4.5-4.9 vram, much smoother that any sim I had since FS9

I wasn't able to have that with v4.5 so very happy so far

Alain from Montreal

My 2600K still kicks you know what.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

My 2600K still kicks you know what.

Incredible for an almost 10 year old processor !

I usually overclock it to 4.3 stable but wanted to make sure the overclock was not my issue, found out finally that the bsod I had were caused by an old usb network adapter... I was chasing my tail for awhile....

Alain from Montreal

• Like 1