Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Maddog X Always Skids off the Runway

Hello - I have been to the Maddog forums and saw a post about this, but so far have not found a fix. Literally every time I land the maddog the plane skids off of the runway once I begin braking. This has happened in V4 and V5 and I don't understand why this happens. One post said to change the rudder axis to 90, which i did but same result. The plane literally skids out of control. I have no other airplane that does this and in all the hours I have flown in real life this has never happened (that would be bad) even on some of my not so great landings over the years. Any ideas? This can't just be me since several people chimed in on that one post having the same issue. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Pete, something has to be off with your setup. I've been flying the Maddog constantly in V5 and have never had anything like that occur. I may bounce a bit hard on occasion on touch down, but always on the runway. Oddly enough, I always use to have my controllers calibrated by FSUIPC, but now I think something has changed in V5 and the joystick works far better without FSUIPC calibration and just the default settings. I use the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X.

Lee

(Another thought, if you use Active Sky, what are your maximum wind and turbulence settings? Are they too high?)

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

3 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Pete, something has to be off with your setup. I've been flying the Maddog constantly in V5 and have never had anything like that occur. I may bounce a bit hard on occasion on touch down, but always on the runway. Oddly enough, I always use to have my controllers calibrated by FSUIPC, but now I think something has changed in V5 and the joystick works far better without FSUIPC calibration and just the default settings. I use the Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X.

Lee

(Another thought, if you use Active Sky, what are your maximum wind and turbulence settings? Are they too high?)

I do use Active Sky but I literally use the default settings. This oddity with the Maddog is on two different computers and both v4 and v5. This has never happened with any other aircraft, and I have pretty much all of the high level Jets. The issue is specific to the maddog. As I said, this topic was discussed on the maddog forums and there was no resolution. Basically, if I pump the breaks when I land and get lucky it will stay on the runway. I have no idea how to resolve this.

Cheers, Pete

I had this condition.Reinstalling the aircraft fixed it. Nothing else I tried would do it.

tc

1 hour ago, PilotPete99 said:

I do use Active Sky but I literally use the default settings. This oddity with the Maddog is on two different computers and both v4 and v5. This has never happened with any other aircraft, and I have pretty much all of the high level Jets. The issue is specific to the maddog. As I said, this topic was discussed on the maddog forums and there was no resolution. Basically, if I pump the breaks when I land and get lucky it will stay on the runway. I have no idea how to resolve this.

Cheers, Pete

Do you have the failures on? I don't. Also, default Active Sky settings are quite high in terms of wind and turbulence, almost a bit unrealistic. Pull them down a bit.

Lee

Lee H

4 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Do you have the failures on? I don't. Also, default Active Sky settings are quite high in terms of wind and turbulence, almost a bit unrealistic. Pull them down a bit.

Lee

I had this same issue without Active Sky. 

Cheers, Pete

I’ve also experienced this a couple of times. Never figured out why it only happens to the MadDog. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Pilot Pete -- I find the MD-82 difficult to land well, but I chalk this up to my own inexperience with the aircraft.  Or, I'm just not that good at it.

Many times I will have a stable good approach and put it down on the centerline, but then begin skidding and struggling to keep control on rollout.  I haven't figured out if I am doing something wrong, or not.   Are you experiencing a similar thing?

I had a similar issue with the JF BAe Hawk, until I figured out what it likes on touchdown.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

Pilot Pete -- I find the MD-82 difficult to land well, but I chalk this up to my own inexperience with the aircraft.  Or, I'm just not that good at it.

Many times I will have a stable good approach and put it down on the centerline, but then begin skidding and struggling to keep control on rollout.  I haven't figured out if I am doing something wrong, or not.   Are you experiencing a similar thing?

I had a similar issue with the JF BAe Hawk, until I figured out what it likes on touchdown.

My final approach speed is usually around 143, then slowly bleed off over the threshold and at 10 feet throttles off all the way. What do you land at?

Lee

Lee H

Looks like an axis settings or calibration problem to me, since I am flying it for years and never had such a problem, I would change my joystick even an older one or even try to land it using the keyboard to see what could be the problem,  is this happening using autobreaks or pedals? 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

9 hours ago, Mace said:

That is exactly what I experience.

Cheers, Pete

6 hours ago, Alaaar said:

Looks like an axis settings or calibration problem to me, since I am flying it for years and never had such a problem, I would change my joystick even an older one or even try to land it using the keyboard to see what could be the problem,  is this happening using autobreaks or pedals? 

Two different joysticks and no rudder pedals, same result.

Cheers, Pete

is it possible you have something like asymmetric reverse thrust going on?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

23 minutes ago, micstatic said:

is it possible you have something like asymmetric reverse thrust going on?

I have tried landing without reverse thrust and I get the same result. This was actually suggested on the Maddog forum. What is odd is in 20+ years of flight sim and a myriad of different jet aircraft, this is the only plane that causes this. It generally happens as soon as I start braking. It stinks because I am a huge maddog fan but this issue causes me not to fly it as much.

Cheers, Pete

Pete, I would go back to the drawing board, uninstall the Maddog package. Clean all residual files. Check your controller calibrations. Now do a clean install of the Maddog package. Set it up in the Load Manager as a vanilla setup, moderate fuel amount, basic fuel in only the two outer tanks, a few passengers and no cargo. Uncheck failures for now.  Now try some easy going circuits and see how it goes, no weather on.

Lee

Lee H