Sign in to follow this  
pannellg

Autumn Scenery?

The latest update shows that they have colored water but it still remains to be seen (by me at least) whether the weather will influence water colors with silt and runoff.  If they do flooding then maybe that would be a good time to look at how rainy weather can change appearances.

I personally think we'll eventually have all the things we hope to see including the autumn leaves that fall and snow that drifts and  fires and other burns that can be seen for miles and the simple thing I keep hoping for which is barges floating down the Mississippi.

Edited by sightseer
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Seasons will come once they are done with the AI to update in real time the migratory patterns of most bird species around the world based on seasons, of course!  

I believe they have the migratory patterns in so hopefully seasons will come sooner rather than later!

Chris Camp

Coming back to the snow, I am mystified by this info in the present update and what it means

Snow does not last on the ground surfaces as expected

Is it an on/off switch ? Snow or no snow ? Or will the snow gradually melt  ? Hmmm, not being in the alpha has its merits, imagination running wild 😅 ! 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Is it an on/off switch ? Snow or no snow ?

Without going into further details, Dominique, it's like you assumed. At least for now 🙂 

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

One of the Development videos, I think it was the MP one, we get a quick glance on the weather tab, and there's an option for 'snow depth'. So it sounds like snow can be more than just a texture on the ground.

I guessing that the sim is not going to support full "seasons"  i wouldn't want to fly say from Edinburgh to Heathrow and see the same colour ground all year round so am resisting hitting that buy button until the sim is actually released.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

20 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

I guessing that the sim is not going to support full "seasons"  i wouldn't want to fly say from Edinburgh to Heathrow and see the same colour ground all year round so am resisting hitting that buy button until the sim is actually released.

Maybe not for start, but seasons are listed in most wanted functionalities. So if not on 18.8., it's nearly sure later.

The way Asobo seems to listen to the community feedback (ie. putting VR back into the planned features after saying that it wasn't a planned feature), and how they have already implemented snow, I would be surprised if they ended up saying summer and snow is all we are getting. Although, I can live with that. It's just they seem to strive for perfection or at least raising the bar. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

On 7/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I believe that it will all be dynamic in the future. Not texture based but shader based. At least that’s how I understand it based on my limited knowledge and understanding. 

I'm not sure how you imagine a shader will be able to strip leaves off trees and make water freeze.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

57 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'm not sure how you imagine a shader will be able to strip leaves off trees and make water freeze.

it would be easy if the trees were created with shaders like apparently the grass and water and clouds are (to my understanding).

• Upvote 1

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 minutes ago, sightseer said:

it would be easy if the trees were created with shaders like apparently the grass and water and clouds are (to my understanding).

Take this with a large portion of salt. My technical understanding of this is very limited. However, I think the grass and trees are procedurally generated which is something other than shaders. Shaders dont produce scenery, but color, saturation and hue. 

Andreas Stangenes

I have limited understanding of shaders as well but I do know that they take an area of the screen and change it in some way.  Its code that is designed to be run at runtime directly by the GPU (I think).  The code can alter what is seen in any way imaginable.  The limit is the programmer.  

The .fx files that are found in FSX/P3D are a type of shader file.  They produce lights and fireworks and smoke and raindrops.

I don't know that the trees are shader based but I wouldnt be surprised and I see no reason why they wouldnt/couldn't be.

There are many people on this forum who could answer this question. Maybe @n4gix ?  I know Ant could.  Hes the first one I know of that put raindrops on the VC windshield. 

Edited by sightseer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I have limited understanding of shaders as well but I do know that they take an area of the screen and change it in some way.  Its code that is designed to be run at runtime directly by the GPU (I think).  The code can alter what is seen in any way imaginable.  The limit is the programmer.  

The .fx files that are found in FSX/P3D are a type of shader file.  They produce lights and fireworks and smoke and raindrops.

I don't know that the trees are shader based but I wouldnt be surprised and I see no reason why they wouldnt/couldn't be.

There are many people on this forum who could answer this question. Maybe @n4gix ?  I know Ant could.  Hes the first one I know of that put raindrops on the VC windshield. 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Would be nice to hear from them what they think then.

By the way, the rain effects on windscreens in msfs are absolutely superb. I just love seeing it ❤️ 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

12 hours ago, WestAir said:

Wingviews from inside the cabin confirmed. 😲

Misaligned hinge axis for spoilers confirmed! 😢

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I firmly believe that MSFS developers will implement seasonal changes in the new sim.  My guess is that the autogen vegetation will change and the ground textures will be altered in some way, perhaps using shading techniques.

A big question regarding seasons is, as I've said before: how do you know what season it is in a particular location on a particular date?  I again surmise that there will either be a database containing this season by date and location data, or it will simply be up to the user to set the season on the fly.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS