Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Gamers vs Simmers

Turn on the battery , and go full mixture and the stock laminar c172  will start every time.. it has an unfloodable engine. .. so then if  a sim becomes a sim because of addons then I'm not worried since MFS2020 will get those. .. plus I dont think falling out of the sky because of icing you never saw makes xplane more (or less)  of a simulator. BTW ... I started with fsx and then later x-plane using a dual shock controller to fly with BTW. Landings were far from 'buttery' (I have a stick now)

There is some benefit in having stock airplanes that aren't too easy to break.. Many 'simmers' started on stock planes (or even later your carenado  level planes) and benefited from being able to start them without knowing what they were doing. then eventually moved on to airplanes that were more strict on flows (some of the rep packs can go a little too far at times on fragility according to some private pilots opinions).. 

I think the hotstart TBM is simulated great and at the surface its very immersive to know if I mess up startup,  the engine/plane can burst into a ball of flames. Its 50% of why i bought it...  but since i know not to do the things that cause hot-starts its not really an issue.. and so given that , even if the 930 in MFS doesnt simulate hot or hung starts , it doesnt matter... its on me to use a timer and do a proper start, even if i know i dont have to ... And when i start a piston (if the IRL version requires it) I prime it first before starting , even if it doesnt have a REP pack and i dont have to ... And if  I fly into icing conditions, its on me to get to a better altitude and enable antiice measures if icing occurs.. even if i know i dont have to ..  i can  also train  for IFR and  shoot approaches in MFS2020/xplane or p3d.. All can be used emulate real world procedures. its up to the user . 

In the end im not quite sure that simulator vs game argument should even be had.. again if the sim 'simulates' real flying to any level its a sim... most of us use the sims for enjoyment, no matter how "level d" the planes/sim they are using..

It doesn't really matter what the focus of the developer is.. unless you just flat out cant plug in your honeycomb yoke and fly an ODP from a non-towered airport and shoot a low VOR -A  approach at another , then land VFR at a 3rd airport of your own choosing (and im not counting 'bugs' ... i mean just flat out non support. )

and again.. even if someone just wants to plug a xbox controller into their  PC and fire up xplane 11 (xplane allows game controllers too) and bounce the default B738 vfr into LAX... its up to them.... These sims are tools and its what you do with it that counts. 

Edited by Wewk584
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

Rob, re the cockpits..

We have 3 cockpits that we built up. Because we had out club at Ysterplaat Air Force Base (FAYP) in Cape Town, home of the belated Avro Shackleton, we built a Shackleton sim on a trailer, using original canopy glass, seats,pedals, throttle assy & yoke, using a screen inside for the dash & a projector for scenery. Then we have an MB326 Aeromacci, known here as an Impala, used to be used for training, a twin-seater, built in a real fuselage, dual controls,40'screen on the nose, 17'in front cockpit, & 2x screens in the rear, for panel & scenery. Then we got a Harvard sim, 25 years old, that was made by a USA company called Frasca. The SA Air Force had 3 of them, nicknamed Tom, Dick & Harry. We got Tom, the other 2 are lost. These were built as proceedural trainers at the time, using a 2nd PC (missing) to provide graphics. The built-in PC was dedicated to the sim, no hard drive, everything in ROM. After 25 years, nothing worked. The PC used plug in large boards,wire wrapped, EVERYTHING, the boards & the wiring loom used white wires, so we redid the whole thing using a PC.

Anyhow.. all three work very well, with actual pilots of the original aircraft flying & testing them. We know we hit the sweet spot when the pilots 'braced' themselves, anticipating touchdown, such was the immersion. All the flight models were tweaked to fly 'by the numbers' with the Shackleton model done by the now vanished Shackleton Project. All 3 sims are static.

For us, & the pilots that few the sims, it's the immersion factor that counts!

We used Leo Bodnar cards in all 3 sims.

Cheers,

Robin

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 4

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Its interesting that many who don't seem to like the video, then go on to make and have an argument the video (which was mostly talking about the program living up to its promise to appeal to both gamer's and simmers) itself was not making.

Something Freudian going on there.......

One wonders how many people even watched the video before donning their capes and going into a tear on their keyboards?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 7/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, joemiller said:

So, here's the deal.  A gamer is like a "player"- looks for a one-moment excitement and done; where as a husdband looks for a long-term relationship, hard-work, and family.

Are you saying that people who've been playing World of Warcraft for 16 years are simmers!?

On 7/12/2020 at 2:53 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Water landings aren’t possible in MSFS.

That's going to make that Icon A5 a little boring to operate, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

Chris

27 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

That's going to make that Icon A5 a little boring to operate, isn't it?

The fact that the plane is an Icon A5 already made it boring to operate...

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

The fact that the plane is an Icon A5 already made it boring to operate...

Really? Have you flow one? There are 2 based at the airport out of which I operate. The guys tell me that they are an absolute blast to fly. Very different from a traditional cockpit, and a different kind of fun like a Cub vs. a King Air or Stearman vs. a Cirrus. but fun to fun to fly nonetheless. Hoping for an invitation from them one of these days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris

2 hours ago, snglecoil said:

Really? Have you flow one? There are 2 based at the airport out of which I operate. The guys tell me that they are an absolute blast to fly. Very different from a traditional cockpit, and a different kind of fun like a Cub vs. a King Air or Stearman vs. a Cirrus. but fun to fun to fly nonetheless. Hoping for an invitation from them one of these days. 

Blast to fly for real and blast to fly in a non-motion simulator are two different things. Kinda like videos of roller coasters are never as much fun as being on them in person.

I really liked the Ikon A5 in Microsoft Flight.  Later I flew a Searey in FSX/P3D. 

I suspect all the light sport amphibians are a blast to fly.  "Laughter-silvered wings" and all.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;