Sign in to follow this  
OHN767

Beta only 2 weeks

8 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

This is not going to be a poor-running, CTD fiasco some people fear.

Who has posted that it will be a CTD fiasco?

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It's $60 dollars, or $1 for the first month via gamepass. Hardly a big commitment to support the future of flight simulation.

Space sim fans have put in $275 MILLION dollars to fund the creation of Star Citizen so far (and only have a buggy mess to show for it).

I'm happy to throw some money Asobo's way, and will also support the 3rd party devs who choose to enhance this sim.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

I don't understand the worrying about bugs and beta and alpha. And the Debbie Downers.

Thanks for the nice summary, Couldn't say it better 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Whilst two weeks is indeed a rather short time period for a beta test when compared to what is normally the case, it is worth noting what a beta test actually is. Beta testing is not normally a process intended to test out whether most of the features in the thing actually work (that's what alphas are for, whether open or closed), it is is more about whether the almost entirely complete final product is acceptable to those who will use it. In other words, what is it like when all of the things which do work come together as a single collective experience.

As such, a beta will usually be somewhere around 95 percent complete when compared to what will be a locked off completed product that will be released. And it is important to note that the remaining approximately five percent which might be subject to some tweaking, is invariably separately complete in a few forms, so one of several choices can be slotted in based on feedback. It's also worth being aware that the stuff which is potentially subject to changes might not even be the simulator itself, it can be things such as the manual, or the finalised appearance of the GUI and so on.

Thus the notion that people at Asobo are running around desperately trying to code the last few bits of the sim, whilst scratching their heads desperately trying to stop a load of bugs from crashing the thing because an unexpected decree from MS has come down telling them it must be released next week, might be an amusing mental picture, but it is almost certainly far from the reality. Sure there will be some pressure to get things done, but that's true of any job.

And I dunno about you guys, but personally, I work better under pressure.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 minutes ago, Chock said:

Thus the notion that people at Asobo are running around desperately trying to code the last few bits of the sim, whilst scratching their heads desperately trying to stop a load of bugs from crashing the thing because an unexpected decree from MS has come down telling them it must be released next week,

Honestly, I wouldn't like to be under their skins those weeks...

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Space sim fans have put in $275 MILLION dollars to fund the creation of Star Citizen so far (and only have a buggy mess to show for it).

Haha... true. My wife and me have given it a try again lately after two years. We decided to visit some caves. The biggest danger there was not to get stuck in the terrain and having no other choice than to suicide. Not exactly what I call a "space bug". 😄

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

In our company, beta software IS a finished product. The beta stage is simply the last actual test running on a small number of live sites. If there are no show stoppers, we change the version number, recompile, and push it to the rest of the installed base.  

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

I have a feeling they are pushing because global economy forecasted recession. More they wait, less likely people will be able to afford to buy it. 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Excellent point. I remember being tempted to buy in on the initial ask for that game, but the more I read the sell-sheet, the more I thought "this is gonna be another Spore - overpromised and underdelivered." And it turns out even that assessment was overly optimistic!