Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Can't get myself to enjoy my old sim

I also feel the same with the OP. Ever since I heard the news about MFS20 I became totally excited and hopeful, and I still can't believe that this day is finally about to come in about 2 more weeks! With having to deal with endless troubleshooting, configuring, tweaking settings in FSX, P3D and X-Plane, and now with the latest P3D v5 HF2, I have finally lost my mind and totally ready to move on to the real next gen flight sim. 

Recently I have been having problems with dynamic lighting and having AI planes and my own planes not being lit up in certain airports. Spending days trying to pinpoint the problem. As the release day gets closer, I feel more reluctant to finally let go of P3D. The #1 reason I have lost interested in the latest X-Plane and P3D are mainly due to those reasons as most others have also experienced. I am saving my money so that I can invest in the future of MFS and beyond. P3D and X-Plane has served me well in the past, but now we have a new flight sim with a strong foundation and core to build upon on.

August 18th, 2020 will be a big day in the history of Flight Simming!

• Like 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Been flying MSFS since the first alpha,  Tried to load FSXS this morning and it just hangs an won't load, UGH!   Not gonna go through re-installing FSXS and all my addons again, but I will not miss it much.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Sorry to hear that, Remilton. Hope you get something that bear you over untill msfs2020 🙂 

Btw, is MSFS2020 the "standard phraseology"? I see someone writing FS, MFS, MSFS2020 etc etc. FS is at least really short and easy to write 🙂 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I believe the executable is flightsimulator.exe

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

I can relate to the original post. I buy everything I've ever waited for and never fly anything. I typically have spent more time tweaking and fixing things than flying. Now I just sit on the ground and listen to engine sounds of my favorite aircraft. throttle up/throttle down, inside view outside view. Then look at my FPS and say, I guess I'm not going anywhere today. 

Keith Guillory

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

Sorry to hear that, Remilton. Hope you get something that bear you over untill msfs2020 🙂 

Btw, is MSFS2020 the "standard phraseology"? I see someone writing FS, MFS, MSFS2020 etc etc. FS is at least really short and easy to write 🙂 

Those are all thumbsucked names. The correct usage is MSFS or FS-Aug. FS20202 is so FS2019 

F is actually the easiest to write & remember, FS for the Standard version, FD for Deluxe & FU for, well, the Ultimate version? 

Avsimmers are getting very confused with real names vs made-up names.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The title says it all.

Flight Simulator Key Art

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dermot McClusky said:

I'm actually still really enjoying both Truck Simulator games at the moment 😆

I love American Truck Simulator. I wish I could fly my A2A Cessna 172 over that scenery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Those are all thumbsucked names. The correct usage is MSFS or FS-Aug. FS20202 is so FS2019 

F is actually the easiest to write & remember, FS for the Standard version, FD for Deluxe & FU for, well, the Ultimate version? 

Avsimmers are getting very confused with real names vs made-up names.

😄 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

4 pages of kids that are bored with their toys, and enjoy telling everyone about it...

Dermot's post is the best so far.

When you are immersed in a sim, eye candy takes 2nd place.. With the sims we have built, we have real pilots bracing themselves in their seats when anticipating touchdown.. Eye candy does not do that, immersion does.

Eye candy is immersion. I don’t follow. 

We are on desktop simulators we need all the eye candy we can get to be immersed. We don’t have all the feelings of level d sims. 

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 5

Eye candy is like watching p@wn, immersion is like doing the deed. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I also feel the same as the OP and have not used my favorite sim which is XPL11 very much. I have been a flight simmer since FS98 and have used pretty much all the flight  sims released since. I am ready for a next gen sim that has all of the core features needed such as excellent default aircraft, volumetric clouds, weather, vc rain effects, ATC, and beautiful scenery! 

I have uninstalled P3D being as I rarely use it and XPL11 is next on the list if MSFS turns out to be as good as the previews show. I am not loyal to any sim and will give my hard earned money to the one that provides the best overall experience. 

Edited by Pugilist2
  • Like 2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

The essence of flight simulation is immersion - especially in GA planes ifor those of us who fly in remote areas of the World..Get the basics right and you can tolerate a lot of imperfections.

MSFS is no doubt a very exciting development, but I took a flight in P3D v5 yesterday in the Milviz B350i KA. It was from from Riobamba (SERB) in Ecuador to Catamayo (SECA) in the south of the country (both default).

The Andes (Orbx SA LC) were surrounded by huge menacing storms (c/o Rex Sky Force and Envtex), and the approach to SECA is very difficult, espcially in poor weather. Navaids are sparse and there is no published  STAR or approach into SECA. It was exciting for me and I made a near perfect as possible landing (at 3900ft) after breaking through cloud at <7,000 feet. The approach is something  I guessed from a YouTube video of a RW approach and put that into FSTramp. As I was in thick cloud  and zero visibility from 17,000 feet and was unable to insert user waypoints into the FMS (it's a pain) I was able to control the King Air from FSTramp's FMS using my own flight plan and made a good approach including vertical profile for my descent to finals. There were few stutters and very high frame rates, albeit 6.3Gb VRAM in the Milviz and flashing clouds from Rex SF v4 clouds.

Yes the terrain is not accurate as MSFS will be and the skyscapes will undoubtedly be far more dramatic, but my guess is it may be some time before I am able to do what I did in P3D v5 in the same way, and get the same sense of excitement and challenge. I don't really know how good MSFS flight planner will be. I'd guess FSTramp and the like might be some time before we get them for MSFS. On the other hand if this is possible in MSFS I'll be very happy - but to the OP's post, I am certainly not giving up P3D v5 yet - with all it's pimples, warts and blemishes. 

I am also wondering whether Antarctic region will be at high enough resolution (I have Aerosoft Antarctica) - Bing Maps resolution is very poor in that region. So I guess there is life in our old dogs yet. Perhaps MSFS may still have a way to go in some areas - for those who do not just fly Airbuses and Boeings in and out of 1st World well-equipped and well known Airports.

MSFS will undoubtedly be better and more accurate in so many ways (even in some very remote regions) and I'm really looking forward to that. But will the King Air 350i be anywhere near as good as the Milviz? I guess probably not.

Ray

I can't also. Now with VATSIM on board, and "other things working" as a tester, just haven't been able to even start them. I had a whole ortho4xp project i was going to do for alaska for x-plane. Well I started it but 8 months ago I have not been back.

24 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Yes the terrain is not accurate as MSFS will be and the skyscapes will undoubtedly be far more dramatic, but my guess is it may be some time before I am able to do what I did in P3D v5 in the same way, and get the same sense of excitement and challenge.

Why is that? From what I've seen from the videos so far, you will be able to do exactly what you did,but have magnificient skyscapes, raindrops funneling off your windscreens, flashes of lightning hitting the mountain peaks, and (hopefully, if the bing imagery is ok), fantastic scenery. And if you got the deluxe you will have many aircraft to play around with. All with free updated nav database. 

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes