Sign in to follow this  
NickBo

Runway lights bug still present in MSFS?h

3 hours ago, Alvega said:

I agree with you. Strangely, the OP chose to ignore viz's post...

You must be referring to "This is by design apparently. ICAO omits recessed edge lighting depending on runway type, surface and lighting intensity requirements.".

In that case I have already responded multiple times.

Strangely, pretty much everyone seems to ignore what my question was actually about. It had absolutely nothing to do with whether some runway lights can be omitted in some situations. It was about a 15 year old very well known bug. It's all there, in the very first post. At the top.

8 hours ago, wim123 said:

I am sorry, but i find this topic very nitpicking.

if this ruins your immersion...wow..better not buy the game.

i think the vast majority of ppl dont care much about this issue.

If my disappointment of a 15 year old well known confirmed bug causing runway lights to flash like a christmas tree on steroids is considered nitpicking, then yes I'm nitpicking. Me and many others been coping with this bug for 15 long years and it makes the sim look really horrible at night. We've sent numerous bug reports to no avail. So excuse me if I'm a bit disappointment that the developers, years after confirming the bug, still aren't fixing it. I'm sure that we've all seen people being much more upset for less than that (did I here anything about tree sizes?).

All I wanted was for someone to confirm that this bug was finally gone in MSFS. Depending on who you ask MSFS shares some of the same code base as FSX so I don't think the question is far fetched.

Again, this whole thing has nothing to do with taxiway intersections or other reasons why some lights are left out on purpose. Absolutely nothing. It was all in the first post.

10 hours ago, wim123 said:

I am sorry, but i find this topic very nitpicking.

if this ruins your immersion...wow..better not buy the game.

i think the vast majority of ppl dont care much about this issue.

Well, I find that tree discussion very nitpicking if we talk about a flight sim, otherwise just unnerving. If I had to choose between wrong trees and wrong basic avation-related features (again, in a flight sim) like aerodrome lighting, I'd take the wrong trees 1000 times.

7 hours ago, Darcanlos said:

Doesn't viz's post in the first page solve the issue? He provided more than enough proof, didn't he?

Uhm, no? He merely posted a handful of r/w examples. Look, I'm gonna post of a runway with 21 (twenty-one) taxiway intersections and it's edge lights are perfectly continuous:

m9bN5hQ.jpg

Enough counterproof? Either way proves nothing. There are many variations, but it's not exactly great to have the least used option modelled as default, especially considering major hubs.

2 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

At my local airport in the northeastern US, which is equipped with a MALSR approach lighting system, the tower turns on the sequenced flashers for every nighttime arrival, even if the weather is perfectly clear, unless the pilot of the arriving aircraft specifically requests they be turned off. The flashers are also turned on in the daytime for any aircraft arriving on an IFR flight plan, even if the weather is clear and sunny.

Thanks for the comment. Of course there will be system differences internationally. Personally I find the flashes extremly annoying in better-than-severe-IFR conditions due to their sheer intensity, especially at night. They distract way more than help. Our ATC is required to turn them on when conditions go below certain values, but in marginal IFR I've heard it many times pilots request them to be turned off because they are way too irritating. During daytime, especially CAVOK, I see most ATCOs turn off runway lighting altogether. Interesting to hear from other examples of course.

To the OT: Apart from where this thread went 😄 I do recall very much the issue you described. I haven't simmed for years but I immediately knew what you meant when you brought it up. I found those visual artefacts very offputting all the time (among many others). MSFS gives all those issues a new chance but from everything we've seen so far there will be enough new ones it seems. As apparently no one can give us any definite insight as of today, I just hope the new engine will sort at least your very problem out. As you say, it's been there long enough. Other than that we'll have to wait a few more weeks and see what we get (and hope for the best meanwhile 😉).

2 hours ago, NickBo said:

Please read the original question and what the topic is really about.

It was not about whether runway lights can be omitted at taxiway intersections in real life or in a sim. The question was regarding a 15 year old very well known bug causing ugly runway light artifacts that has nothing to do with taxiway intersections. This was mentioned in the very first post. As I thought I saw the artifact in screenshots where there were not any taxiway intersections I wanted to ask about this to make sure the bug is finally resolved.

Again, all of this was mentioned in the very first post. Had you read it you could have saved yourself from that shock.

How can you possibly tell that a bug of flashing lights exists from a low res screenshot? I don't even remember such a bug in FSX. It clearly wasn't a big deal for me.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

14 minutes ago, Slides said:

It clearly wasn't a big deal for me.

Well that settles it! Slides doesn't care, so no one else should either. 

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I certainly do remember this issue, even in P3D I have witnessed the runway landing lights slowly popping in and some lights missing. I've always thought it was weird. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who witnessed it. I really hope that this isn't in MFS.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

11 minutes ago, Slides said:

How can you possibly tell that a bug of flashing lights exists from a low res screenshot? I don't even remember such a bug in FSX. It clearly wasn't a big deal for me.

Once again, please read what I wrote. I explicitly said it was hard to tell from screenshots. That's why I asked for more information. The bug doesn't literally cause flashing in that sense but in a screenshot you would see that several lights are missing in a certain deterministic pattern. I'm not going into the technical details, it has already been done so many times before.

Good for you if it wasn't a big deal for you. For anyone wanting to simulate realistic operations however, this bug is actually quite bad. In real life, if I was on final approach at night and noticed that a whole bunch of runway lights towards the end of the runway(s) in front of me were missing, only to start lighting up in pairs just in front of my a/c as I approach them, I would initiate a go-around and ask ATC what's going on. If the problem persists I would head for my alternate. In FSX/Prepar3D this bug affects every airport in the world so the alternate would have the issue as well, finally leading to an emergency landing.

This pretty much means that realistic night operations in Prepar3D is impossible if you do it correctly. Some call this nitpicking and I don't agree. Sure we could ignore the issue during every landing and pretend that we can perform a operation even with the runway lights missing. But it would still look pretty darn ugly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Well that settles it! Slides doesn't care, so no one else should either. 

Since I'm the voice of reason, yes, you should follow my lead

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slides said:

Since I'm the voice of reason, yes, you should follow my lead

That got a chuckle out of me. I'm angrily clicking the "like" button. 🤣

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

To bring in another (new...) anomaly that somewhat refers to the original topic, take this good old leak and closely watch the REILs from around 2:50 onward, especially when it's at 2:55. Notice anything? Certainly hope this weirdness gets sorted out.

Edited by badderjet

I think just to bring it to some sort of summary, there isn't a light LOD bug in MFS where lights 'pop' in. Instead, if lights are missing on a runway it's because the fixtures themselves aren't there, likely due to a taxiway intersection. Now whether or not this matches the real world runway's lighting specifications is another matter, all that matters is that this isn't a bug so addon airports can do what they like with the spectacular lighting engine.

Edited by suncoastflyer
  • Upvote 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

20 hours ago, NickBo said:

In real life, if I was on final approach at night

Good think you're playing a sim and are not in real life then. Problem solved. You're welcome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slides said:

Good think you're playing a sim and are not in real life then. Problem solved. You're welcome. 

MS should hire you to their MSFS support department.

If it's a question regarding a realism issue: "Dude, chill, it's just a sim".

If it's a question regarding a technical issue you have absolutely no clue about: "Dude, your lack of google skills is shocking me".

No need for a CV. Just point to this thread. You're welcome.

9 hours ago, NickBo said:

MS should hire you to their MSFS support department.

If it's a question regarding a realism issue: "Dude, chill, it's just a sim".

If it's a question regarding a technical issue you have absolutely no clue about: "Dude, your lack of google skills is shocking me".

No need for a CV. Just point to this thread. You're welcome.

How do you know they haven't hired me already?

A few missing runway lights do not affect realism lmao. Not in any sim.