Sign in to follow this  
d25bev

The London problem..

19 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Its so strange.....

Orbx makes UK areas and people are willing to pay good money and praise everything to the sky. And buy add on airports for the area as well.

MSFS gives you the whole world at approximately the same or even above that level, and suddenly its ugly as sin, and something needs to be done.

There's really nothing stopping us from sticking with our old sims, but I expect now that won't make anyone happy, either....... 🤔

At a certain point, I think we seriously risk MS deciding that we simply can't be pleased, no matter what, and effectively ignoring us, while its marketing department diligently continues to blow heart-bubbles in our direction.

As a Brit i enjoy the sarcasm 👍

Whilst i too praise many things about this game that doesn't mean it can't be criticised or questioned. If everything was only praised, it wouldn't be improved.

Having a world that will be updated for free, living alongside what will be an ever increasing world of third party addons presents questions & one of the most notable right now is London.

Those questions are only going to grow as time goes on with more third party scenery in an 'evolving', updating world. They're valid questions & they're being asked by a lot of people already.

10 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Not to be rude, but in a sense I do take offense in your focus on one single city since this is a multinational forum: You are the only one here that I see talking about it, @d25bev. Sure, if they have the time to do something about it, fine, but you dont deserve special treatment from Asobo. Not that you are excluded from the VIP list, but none of us are deserving of special treatment afaik. There are wonderful things all around the world, and there are also glitches and missing landsmarks that people are proud of in real life that are missing in MSFS.

I paid just the same amount as you did, and you don't hear me complaining. 

Ah, you're one of those types of people. Instead of being able to acknowledge that the updating world system, alongside paid addons poses some questions. Which is a very valid point that many people are making. You deflect & try twist what i'm saying ha you do you man

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

Screw London, it can get in the queue behind Manchester, where all the real talent in the UK comes from. 🤣

Hell yeah. Whatever happened to Max George from The Wanted!? 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, d25bev said:

Hell yeah. Whatever happened to Max George from The Wanted!? 😉

Well, he buggered off to the States didn't he? Anyway, who really cares about some also-ran boyband? Us lot 'Ooop North' can do way better than that...

The Chameleons, Oasis, The Smiths, Take That, Theatre of Hate, The Verve, Blossoms, Buzzcocks, John Cooper Clarke, The Courteeners, Doves, The Durutti Column, Barclay James Harvest, The Bee Gees, Black Grape, A Certain Ratio, The Chemical Brothers, New Order, Sad Cafe, Simply Red, The Seahorses, The Hollies, Inspiral Carpets, Elbow, Electronic, The Fall, Happy Mondays, James, M People, John Mayall, Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders (RIP Wayne, this week), Joy Division, Monaco, Puressence, The Stone Roses, and if we're being generous, we can include former NY Dolls guitarist Johnny Thunders, who adopted Manchester and always used to play here every July 4th at places like the Hacienda and the International.

And if you move approximately 35 miles over to the left, you've got: The Beatles, Ian Astbury (who teamed up with Mancunian Theatre of Hate's Billy Duffy to create Southern Death Cult, later The Cult, The Teardrop Explodes, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Black, The Real Thing, China Crisis (next month's gig cancelled, thanks Corona Virus), Icicle Works, The La's, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Farm, The Searchers, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, The Lotus Eaters, The Zutons.

So that's another London Problem, all the musical talent is 200 miles north of it! 😎

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

I think people forget what "default" scenery looks like elsewhere. 

Right?!

Also people are forgetting they will roll-out world scenery updates on a 3 month basis. Let the sim release first and see how things evolve.

If you really need an enhanced version of London. Orbx already announced it will be available one on the Marketplace and Orbx Direct.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

2 hours ago, d25bev said:

Like many i was disappointed to see London looking way off most other major cities

How dare you making a critical observation about MFS and be "ungrateful" to Asobo? Repent your sin! 🤣

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 2

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

30 minutes ago, d25bev said:

Whilst i too praise many things about this game that doesn't mean it can't be criticised or questioned. If everything was only praised, it wouldn't be improved.

Its not that I believe criticism is unwarranted, I just think that the criticism has to take reality into account.

This sim is going to be driven by data, and the available world data is far from complete.

In a sim with the conceit of replicating an entire planet, there are going to be places with better and worse depictions of a given area, and that's simply a fact of life.

Thousands, or tens of thousands of people complaining of missing this or or wrong that in their home areas will be diligently recorded, but realistically, time, plus resource and budget constraints (even for a company as big as Microsoft) are a bottom line that we are going to have to accept, because at a certain point, no amount of complaining is likely to move the ball down the road very much faster.

Interim solutions from partners to address shortcomings and take some of the pressure off is to be expected. (plus if the world really was perfect, a lot of beloved companies would soon be going out of business) 

If we're not happy with third parties stepping in, as they always have, to fill the gaps, then what exactly do we expect Asobo to do?

What are we asking, or demanding, exactly?

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Not to be rude, but in a sense I do take offense in your focus on one single city since this is a multinational forum:

So is he suppose to list all cities throughout the modeled world that has an issue? And what does this being a multinational forum have to do with anything? 

You are the only one here that I see talking about it

it seems like others have an issue with it....and Orbx looked to address it. So it looks like those who will buy the Orbx version have an issue with it as well. I think Orbx is counting on that.

Sure, if they have the time to do something about it, fine, but you dont deserve special treatment from Asobo. Not that you are excluded from the VIP list, but none of us are deserving of special treatment afaik. There are wonderful things all around the world, and there are also glitches and missing landsmarks that people are proud of in real life that are missing in MSFS.

I paid just the same amount as you did, and you don't hear me complaining. 

None of this takes away from the OPs issue with London, and the potential conflict of paying for scenery that may get improved later on by updates from MSFS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Its not that I believe criticism is unwarranted, I just think that the criticism has to take reality into account.

True, but he raises an interesting point.

If someone buys Orbx London, only to have MSFS update that area later, have they wasted their money?

In general, I don't think so...because I paid for the best experience (from 3PD) available at that time. But if I pay $$$ today, and the sim updates next week for the same area, then I would have wanted a heads up from MSFS.

So we should have some type of scheduling of sort...where MSFS can share (to the extent that they can) what areas are planned for updates over the next year...so Devs / users can know what areas to invest in and what areas to wait for.

Now if MSFS is purposefully leaving some cities looking like word not allowed to create a market for 3P Devs....well, its a big world out there to model in detail. So I would like to think that there is enough room to play without any contrived demand for certain areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Well, he buggered off to the States didn't he? Anyway, who really cares about some also-ran boyband? Us lot 'Ooop North' can do way better than that..

Jeepers Creepers, how the word too beyond the pale for polite society did you get in to my CD rack? Even down to Theatre of Hate and Southern Death Cult...

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

7 hours ago, d25bev said:

Yes, default London in MS2020 looks bad. Just because it looks better then other sims doesn't mean it doesn't look bad, especially in comparison to every other major city in the game/sim.

Come on, that's just your imagination because you happen to know London better than other major cities. Everyone will have their favourite city in MSFS that will look horrible to them because they know it very well in real life.

In fact, when you compare London with other major cities in MSFS that don't have photogrammetry and rely on autogen + some handcrafted 3D buildings, the level of work that was put in is about the same. Paris has a very similar number of handcrafted buildings, as do Moscow, Athens, Istanbul and Tokyo.

Sure, you could argue that the sim should have more handcrafted buildings in general, but the idea that London has somehow been treated worse than other major cities simply doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

• Like 3

Yes, default London in MS2020 looks bad. Just because it looks better then other sims doesn't mean it doesn't look bad, especially in comparison to every other major city in the game/sim.

The autogenerated cities quality directly depends on Bing satellites imagery, as is on whole Earth. So if there is a poor quality in the London area, it generated no so good city, as we expect. Scenery will improve, when satellites data will improve. Or it's space for external developers to make a scenery by hands.

However, the game ain't free is it chump. If i'm buying a game to which the full price is $120

No, full version is only for 60$ 🙂 . Other 60$ in Deluxe Premium version you pay for 10 more handcrafted aircrafts and 10 more handcrafted airports, nothing else. Everything other is exactly the same in all of three MSFS version. And you should know, that Autogenerated cities quality strictly depends on Bing satellites imagery quality, what is unfortunatelly very unbalanced in dfferent areas on whole earth and can't be so good in all big europe cities, where do you just expecting it.

• Like 1

I gotta say if someone is hesitant to lay out 8 dollars, in fear that the thing for which you spent 8 dollars might be made redundant at some point in the future, this may not be the hobby for you.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3